Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fire Zon - Nasty problems with F.immunes

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by weirdoctor, Mar 12, 2004.

1. weirdoctor

weirdoctor IncGamers Member

Fire Zon - Nasty problems with F.immunes

Hi zon-fans,

My fire/necrozon is now level 76 with maxed immolation and exploding arrow - I'm using exploding on my left click main attack and immo as right click due to its casting delay. Right now I have a couple of pesky problems:

1) Fire immunes - I've not invested a single skill point in any of those cookie-cutter damage skills, so these guys (especially in hell, omg!) take me a long time to take down using my inherent bow damage or else a level 8 magic arrow (+7 skills from equipt).

Any idea what I should do with my 15 available skill points? I've got my valk at level 17, so I have a few choices, either to complete the fire synergies with Fire Arrow (still won't help with immunes), pump into valk so she can tank better, or get a secondary skill. I switch between HoJ matri bow and Bloodraven's, both with inherent damage that pale against even the Buriza. Guided? Strafe? Multishot? :scratch:

Another idea I thought up of was to load her up with resist/poison damage small charms. However, I guess the poison damage would take too long to kick in to be of any use?

2) Attribute points - where should I pump them into? I've got about 500 HP and 300 mana, but she still runs out of mana. She's using a Gloom's Trap belt to leech mana, but I'm thinking of doing away with it for a T-god's or Verdungo's. In this case I still can fall back on the 8% ML I get from my Gaze. Should I do Dex, Life or Mana?

The huge problem with this build is that she is extremely gear-specific, and right now I can only afford to play around with changing her gloves (Hellmouth for now, lovely fire effects to augment her looks) and belt.

I know few have attempted this, but I still appreciate any input nonetheless. Thanks in advance!

2. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

I'd just get a WWS or Riphook. :)

3. Kirsty

Kirsty The Order of Dii Guild Member

I'm not certain what you mean by necrozon... I did have an amazon that used a lot of necromancer skills as a combination of things. She had amplify damage on attack from atma's scarab and corpse explosion charges from corpsemourn. I used strafe for decent physical damage, but mainly as application means of the amplify damage. Then I would use corpse explosion once in a while to blow up the fire immunes with increased physical damage from the blasts. On switch I used dim vision charges or lower resistance... quite interesting to play like that.

But anyway, maybe your amazon is completely different and the necrozon may just be some weird title for an amazon using exploding arrow (an idea that bowmancers, hunters, rangers and enchantresses stole from the little played extremely effective pyrozons or kukozons).

What exactly do you consider a cookie cutter skill and which not? It would help if you stated them in advance. At the moment it seems a bit obvious that you need a physical damage skill or an elemental damage skill to match the fire immunes. Strafe would help quite a bit as would magic arrow or cold arrow at high levels in combination with that hand of justice bow. You may also try a medium level of freezing arrow and some cold arrow to increase the damage of the skill.

Another idea is the choice of a good mercenary like a barbarian who can pack a lot of physical damage alongside the valkyrie or maybe an act 2 mercenary with a nice aura. A cold rogue mercenary with a nice bow so that she shoots cold arrows and you won't have to pick that skill, or maybe even an act 3 mercenary although their damage is quite low.

I think one way to increase your mana reserves is to use some mana per kill and then reevaluate if it is still bad or not. Some extra mana from charms would also help. Mana replenishment would be good to increase when your mana pool is larger, but I don't think it will be that useful at the moment.

4. weirdoctor

weirdoctor IncGamers Member

Hi, and thanks for the response, both of you. Jek, as I mentioned, I really do not want to part with the HoJ and BR's Charge =)

The zon works on summoning skills and she's therefore very much equiptment-specific: A clay golem (Stone) + holy freeze merc to really slow down monsters in place while I release the immo arrows. I'm also using a Wisp Projector for Heart of Wolverine. In nm mode I can get by easily with just these and the Hand of Justice, but once in hell (especially the later acts, when monsters start moving a lot faster and in greater numbers) I'm almost always forced to switch to BR's Charge for more summons to tank for her while the immos work. In this case I cast Spirit of the Barbs (trying to work like the good ole' zookeepers from days long past) and cast Life Tap on monsters from a pair of Marrowwalks. I usually play solo for this girl, and find that those Bone Prison charges are excellent as well, especially for Lister and his gang.

Kirsty, I was also thinking of using Atma's scarab for the amp, but I had to do away with it in favor of resists and +skills (mara's). I guess I made a mistake with the "cookie-cutter skill" comment - that would be more appropriate in describing certain (over-played) builds, and so yes, I was thinking more of skills that do a decent amount of physical damage. I'm loathe to branch out into the cold tree for her, so perhaps I'll deal in strafe. Would you suggest I dump all 20 points I have now into that?

I'll be doing away with the Gloom's Trap belt tonight, and will see if this strategy for mana recovery works: immos and explosives till I run dry, then strafe and leech using the Gaze.

5. Kirsty

Kirsty The Order of Dii Guild Member

I would first put only a few points into strafe. If you feel happy with a level 5 or 6 strafe then why put more points into it right? Just go as far as you think you need to go.