Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fire Wall vs. Meteor

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by TheArbiter, Mar 31, 2004.

1. TheArbiter

TheArbiter IncGamers Member

Fire Wall vs. Meteor

Hey guys, New to the Forum, so if this is already on a thread, direct me where to go plz....

Using the online skill calculator, It seems that Fire Wall is better than Meteor... Less Skill points, more damage...

So, why is everyone using meteor, and am I missing something?

I mean, both paired with frozen orb are great, but if they're FROZEN, why not wall em? :scratch:

The Arb

2. Jackalofdoom

Jackalofdoom IncGamers Member

sadly you are mistaken, it isn't more damage.. the synergies are what you might be forgetting. People usually max out the synergies and it gets the damage well above 14k in later levels.

3. TheArbiter

TheArbiter IncGamers Member

On the calculator, I maxed the synergy (which I would never do on my char, because I'll need those pts. for F. Orb) and Fire Wall was still higher...

Anyone know of a second calc I can use for a second opinion?

TheArb

4. dlantz

dlantz IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure firewall's damage is higher as you found... but ever tried aiming that thing to kill monsters? That's why nobody uses it and they all use meteor.

5. wise_man

wise_man IncGamers Member

I also selected FW over Meteor, but mainly because my focus is on cold spells and I needed a cheap skill.
    You are forgetting one important thing: FW is easy to aim if you freeze your opponent, but you can't freeze bosses or Cold Immunes, and that's where you'll need your fire skill more often.
    It doesn't mean that Meteor is better, but you should consider it - FW is not an easy skill to work with.
    One last tip: if you choose FW after all, get a deffensive merc - it does the job of stopping your opponet from moving, and FW can do the rest :) ...

6. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

As soon as you add one synergy lvl20 Meteor beats FW in damage. But if you are looking for a cheap Fireskill FW is your choice.

The reason why most people are not using FW is the fact that it is not as easy to handle as Meteor. Meteor = circular damage radius, FW = linear damage area.

If you use a Merc both can good to handle, since you either place Meteor right on top or infront of the Merc and FW right in front of the Merc.

Meteor, though it takes time to come down is just more easy to handle for most i guess. Matter of personal preference and playstyle. using FW now on a Archmage build and it takes time to change from Meteor to FW playstyle. :teeth:

7. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

try a point in both and mess around with some +skills eq. i don't like the aiming of fw, but it's not so easy to tank for meteor now with less pdr.