Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fire trapper questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Arsenal, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Arsenal

Arsenal IncGamers Member

Hi, everyone!
    I'm wondering, if it's possible to get a +1 to Traps & + 3 to Wake of Fire Greater Talon by using the magic weapon + 3 cgems recipe. I know +2/3 to Traps and +1/2 to Assassin skills prefixes can't spawn.
    Another thing I'd like to know is which is the best way to deal with the FI for a fire trapper? CBS seems nice option, because it gets bonus dmg from FB & DS, or maybe SM/BF?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I think it's more effective to go shopping for them and get the sockets from Larzuk, but there's not much else to do with chipped gems anyway, not counting casual low rune upgrades.

While staffmods are tied to the item level, affixes like +3 to traps or +2 to assassin skills depend on the affix level, so you can reach it by trying claws with high base qlvls. They have higher str/dex reqs, however. Using the qlvls mentioned here and an ilvl of 25, you can calculate yourself when an alvl of 60 (+3 traps) or 50 (+2 assa) is reached (magic_level is 0 for everything but circlets, wands, orbs and staves):

1. If (ilvl>99) then {ilvl=99}
    2. if (qlvl>ilvl) then {x=qlvl}
    else {x=ilvl}
    3. if (magic_lvl>0) then {alvl=x+magic_lvl}
    else {
    if (x<(99-qlvl/2))
    then {alvl=x-qlvl/2}
    else {alvl=2*x-99}
    }
    4. If (alvl>99) then {alvl=99}

coju likes this.
  3. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Shopping +3 Traps claws is easy and you can get them on Blade Talons with lower reqs.

Dragon Talon is a decent backup vs immunes, tho you want at least non-upped Gore Riders. If you don't mind pumping a bit of strength almost all elite boots will work OK. Have as much crushing blow as possible. Strenght RW in claws or Black RW in flail are good options without sacrificing other slots.

Edit: CB on claws above the boots does not work.

4. Arsenal

Arsenal IncGamers Member

Dragon Talon is not an option, because of the lack of ar/dex/melee gear. I'm cosidering SM, or CBS (synergy with FB & DS) or LS (synergy with DS). Which one would you suggest?

I know I can easily shop + 3 to Traps BT, but if I can invest the cgems in order to get an extra point in WoF and better laying traps speed (GT with two hel runes has the same reqs as BT), I would spend some time in cubbing. That's the main thing I want to know.

P.S. And I wouldn't waste the socket from Larzuk, for a claw, that offers less than 5 to WoF.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  5. bondcho

bondcho IncGamers Member

Forget about 3 chipped gems recipe, IF it's possible to re-roll the desirable claw the task will consume hundreds or even thousands of chipped gems and the drop rate of these gems shirks like ALOT since act two. Shop nm Anya.

6. krischan

I don't think you need that many hard points in DS, so its value as a synergy isn't that high. I'm not sure if it gives you enough damage.

SM = Shadow master? He's is a nice tank, but as a secondary means of dealing damage... I'm not sure. He's doing silly things half of the time anyway, like ignoring immunities while you want to have him exactly for not doing that.

Blade fury with the Death runeword in a one-hander (or an ethereal Stormlash if you have one... not zoded, the skill doesn't use up durability) in the weapon switch could be an option. That skill has a fixed attack speed, so you don't have to bother with weapon speed.

The challenge isn't to get +3 traps or +2 assa, but +3 wake of fire. It's a tier 3 staffmod which is pretty hard to get on claws which can have staffmods at all. Staffmods from monster drops, shop items and gambled ones have a 10% chance to be from tier 3 and only 1 in 5 on them will be WoF. The chipped recipe produced ilvl 25 items, so the chance is 20%, but it takes clearly longer to find 3 chipped gems than checking two claws in a shop inventory. the cube would be the only option for getting one with a bonus to shock web, for example

Side notes:

It's much easier to get one with lightning sentry, as that's a tier 5 staffmod which is the base tier of all claws from monsters which can drop those which can have staffmods at all.

Another possibility for a nice claw might be picking up cracked ones which can have staffmods and fixing them with the cube. The staffmods will be rerolled and the new ilvl will be 1, so those from tier 1 or 2 (like fire blast or shock web) are possible.

You only use in worthy items, of course :). When considering that it will need a long time until you have one, the value of the Larzuk reward can be neglected.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  7. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Shadow Master is a (bad) tank. It can be a decent distraction when merc is doing the work but that's about it. CBS will eventually wear out a group of weak monsters but it still isn't a good option.

DT's damage comes from Crushing blow and Venom and attack rating will be good enough without melee gear.

Blade Fury is a ranged option that requires weapon switch. Anything with ITD, -%defence will be enough to have a decent hit chance. 1 Point here and maxed Venom will get you through most immunes that you're merc and SM can tank easily.

8. krischan

Regarding the mentioned eth Stormlash for blade fury, you can add a Jah rune for ITD. That would probably make it better than Death, but it would be more expensive. Also, using that Stormlash for something else in the future would probably need the destruction of that rune.

BTW, when I found an eth Stormlash a few years ago, I actually put in a Jah and started a BF assassin, but that was on bnet where HRs are easier to obtain and items are going to non-ladder after a few months anyway.

Edit: Typos.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  9. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

You are seriously underestimating how rare those claws are.

I have tried the chipped gem recipe before. As others have said you are better off shopping.

You need a good backup too. Trust me, the extra +2 to 4 WoF wont make difference in hell, even with Infinity merc.