Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fire Sorc Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Master Zap, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Master Zap

Master Zap IncGamers Member

Fire Sorc Suggestions

Greetings Folks :)

I'll confess I'm normally a hc lod player , but got caught up with some friends and switched to classic play of late.

I currently have a 38 hcl Sorc in progress. Since my two buddies are cold (ones orb firewall, the other blizz) I decided to go with the fire tree to round our party a bit.

I was thinking
    1 static , 1 tele , 1 Frozen armor

20 Fireball
    20 firebolt
    20 hydra
    20 firemastry (if I live that long)

Is hydra a decent skill on classic like it is on lod?
    So far all my points are in Firebolt and fireball , with 2 in hydra.
    If hydra isn't terribly viable would fireball itself (with meteor) be the better skill?

Hydra appeals for the saftey aspect.

Ive checked the guides and all of em are either orb something else or blizz. Where's the Fireball love?

2. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

Re: Fire Sorc Suggestions

fire sorcs are typically pvp oriented due to the very high number of fire immune monsters at various levels of the game. even normal vizier is fire immune.

that being said, fire sorcs typically take down andy, mephy, most of mephy's council (moat trick) pretty well.

non-fire immune seis also fairly well. the latter requiring a tank to hold off seis' fire immune friends, or a cold sorc to slow/freeze them in place.

3. Master Zap

Thanks Goomba, that's what I pretty much figured. I'm aware of the immune issue, this sorc will be generally used to cow and mf the bosses itself much like you stated. Static was going to be my immune solution.

in your estimation Can hydra get decent damage on classic with poor to avg gear ( I just started) or am I relegated to fireball for the damage if I want to stick with fire?

Is is common for classic sorc's to put a handful of points in static to get a good radius since it's so effective here?

4. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Presuming you can get a +1 sorc amu, a tarn, magefist gloves, sigons shield and a hellplague sword, all of which you should be able to buy for varying amounts of gold, most expensive probably being the magefists and the tarn(you might have to offer up to 500k for those) you're looking at the following damage with the synergies and mastery maxed :

Mana cost: 32.5
    Cast Delay: 2 Seconds
    Fire damage: 1264 - 1466 (ø1365)
    Duration: 10 Seconds
    [Synergy] Fire Bolt: +60% Fire damage (3% / Lvl)
    [Synergy] Fire Ball: +60% Fire damage (3% / Lvl)

In cows, I'm not sure how that will perform, they have no res, but they have oodles of life. I think as long as you bring enough mana potions and the hordes do not get too big it might be do-able.
    Lots of little fallen around Andy and Hydra's pick their own target, it might not be very efficient or safe there.

5. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

re: static question. I'm more of a generalist, and will typically only put 1 pt in static and rely upon a 30/20 shield to tank the melee hits that a boss flings my way. The purists won't put any into static, until the char is "complete" - for a blizzer that pretty much means after clvl 92...

I have run into a couple of static-ers that have very large static radius over the past months, but to me that's a bit rare. I usually saw high levels of static for the radius effect mostly on HardCore

6. Master Zap

Thanks for the answer Goomba.

Had a good weekend of play. The sorc is now up to level 56. Ive maxed Fireball and firebolt. I am now working on meteor. I've turned my sorb into a plain fireball sorc. Static was 1 point for now. The Sorc is now in act4 in hell. I paired up with a Blizz sorc and we relied on one another to take out the immunes. My sorc is using the Salamander Staff now. Previously I had a Arch angel's staff with +2 all , +2 fireball. Switching to the Salamander gave me +5 warmth and it's very noticable. Damage is around 2500 on fireball.

The trav was quite tricky with a couple dual immunes. Static got them down to a sliver. I shopped a +3 chain lightning staff and it took awhile to take down that last hair of life with several trips to town to take off the amp and heal up, re-pot.

I also started a Avenger Pally who's at level 42. The conviction makes those cow runs a snap.

7. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

re: travincal. if you can't get help, and run into a cold+fire immune, static 'em down to a sliver, and shop a lightning merc in act3 - you'll naturally lose the merc (if he survives) but that'll get you past travincal regardless.

another alternative, not one I'd advocate without a shield, is that if you enter a cs game, the compelling orb thing will have already obviously been smashed - in theory you could bypass council entirely, and teleport through durance 1, to find the durance 2 wp... once you have the wp, you can make your own game; and yes, from there I have it on good authority you can quest mephy and move onto hell act 4 without ever having done the travincal quest. :thumbsup: