Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fire sorc skill point question

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by hestah, Apr 15, 2008.

1. hestah

hestah IncGamers Member

Fire sorc skill point question

Hi I have a fireball/meteor sorc that I use mostly for MF purposes but also for boosting norm, nm and early hell.
    I think that I have found a good balance between MF/killing power and safety(playing HC so its important), but I dont know what skill points to spend.

She is a lvl 86 sorc with
    20 firebolt
    20 fireball
    20 meteor
    20 fire mastery

1 telekensis
    1 mana shield
    1 frozen armor

So my question is what should I spend my next skill points on?
    i've heard that telkenesis increase mana shield effectivness.
    But I dont understand how, skill calcutators I found on the net doesnt increase anything on mana shield even if I say max telekenesis.
    Frozen armor seems nice for more defense, but I dont think I really need it.

Any suggestions?

2. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

Re: Fire sorc skill point question

You don't have enough skillpoints left to get a worthwhile investment in Telekinesis/Energy Shield

You can pump Hydra - it will become pretty powerful, what with both it's synergies and a mastery maxed.

3. keybored

keybored IncGamers Member

Teleport is great for moving around fast or avoiding attacks, get it. 1p

1 point in warmth helps your mana regeneration alot. 1p

Energy shield is good if you can max telekinesis too and mave a massive mana pool, otherwise i would say it sucks. With no points in telekinesis you lose 2 mana for each 1 life you would lose, more points in telekinesis lower this value, so if you have 20 points in telekinesis you only lose 0,725 mana for 1 life. (i think the numbers are correct) So unless telekinesis is maxed with self-invested points it does nothing but draining your mana. Without mana you are pretty much dead imo.

If you have teleport and warmth then... i dont know, maybe some points in frost nova if you get surrounded and need a second to escape, or maybe more points in Frozen or Chilling armor?

4. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Hydra.

You'll have good damage with the synergies, and it's a nice early-warning system for HC. After that, I'd pick either Teleport (to make the mana cost lower), or Static Field (for a bigger range) - you don't really have enough remaining skillpoints to get a lot of benefit from other skills (and increasing your Frozen Armour is insignificant, at best).

As for Telekinesis, when you only have 1 point in TK - every single point of damage that gets transfered to your energy shield will lower your mana by two points. So the ratio of damage:mana is 1:2... not very good. When you spend points in TK, it improves that ratio. At level20, the ratio is 1:0.75.

Some simple numbers to illustrate:

Level1 TK, you have 50% ES, and get hit by an attack that would normally cause 10 damage:
    - 5 points of damage is applied to your life pool
    - the remaining 5 points are applied to your mana pool at the 1:2 ratio, so you loose 10 mana
    ... so you loose 15 points (combined) for 10 points of damage. Doesn't make much sense, does it?

Level20 TK, you have 50% ES, and get hit by an attack that would normally cause for 10 damage:
    - 5 points of damage is applied to your life pool
    - the remaining 5 points are applied to your mana pool at the 1:0.75 ratio, so you loose 3 mana (D2 always rounds down)
    ... so you loose 8 points (combined) for 10 points of damage. Looks a little better, no?

That's why almost every sane person that wants to use energy shield would be wise to invest points in TK (although, I have had a couple of melee sorcs that barely used mana - these were fine with a lower level of TK). It's also wise to spend the full 20 points.

... also, fyi, +skills to telekinesis don't work to improve the ratio. You need to spend "hard" skillpoints to change this.

5. hestah

hestah IncGamers Member

Thanks for your answers, now I finally understand how telekinesis/energy shield really works.
    I think I will go for more poitns in static field actually since I use it quite alot to help my merc killing fire imunnes.

I dont really need warmth beacause of lvl 17 aura insight on my merc, and as you say frozen armor doesnt seem be that usefull to spend lots of points in.

But i'm not sure, hydra is such a cool spell and I never really tried it, it seems quite good to pop a few up and then fireball/meteor as wel for massive damage.
    and i guess they can be good for scouting purposes too.

Oh and I have teleport, forgot to mention that.

6. prion

prion IncGamers Member

i plan for my chars to be at the end of their road at level 89. So if you follow the same idea you basically have 3 points left

7. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

No, at level 86 he should have some skill points unused -> 80 in the main skills + 3 pre-reqs +3 utility Lighting spells + Frozen Armor + Warmth = ** -----> level 77, unless he spent in something else.
    As for what do do:
    -Teleport to diminsh mana cost, but if you already came here it without it, you may not miss it...
    -Inferno will boost the afterburning damage of Meteor if you use it much.
    -Static to play in parties, so you have a cheap alternative damage
    -Enchant is already welcome in party play
    -Frozen Armor to increase defense
    -Glacial Spike to help merc with immunes
    -Hydra for some fun :)

8. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member