Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fire or Wind? Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Druid' started by D2Freak91776, Mar 26, 2005.

1. D2Freak91776

D2Freak91776 IncGamers Member

Fire or Wind? Pros and Cons

I am thinking of making an elemental druid. What is better a fire druid or a wind druid? What are the pros and cons of both builds? Any comments will help. Thank you.

2. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

I want to build a Fire Druid since you rarely see them around. Though I believe Windy are more versatile in dueling.

3. Sunjeet

Sunjeet IncGamers Member

I've been researching both and this is what I've found.

Fire Druids are best at raw power, but they lack defense and flexibility.

Wind Druids have 2 spell types and a good def.

4. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

I agree with Sunjeet...but Volcano also does physical damage although I'm not sure how much. Fire spells are also easier to use because you don't have to be as close to monsters as you do with Hurrican and to a lesser extent Tornado. Wind druids also have a very good advantage in Cyclone armor which makes you almost immortal to elemental attacks, a very sweet skill.

5. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

Its quite simple. If you want to spam all day long, use a windy. If you want to be strategic, use a fire elemental. Using a fire ele makes you have to think which spell needs use where. Ie, got a fast moving, non fire immune pack, use fissure (gloams?). Got a big fat solitary target, use volcano (especially if he stands there a lot. act bosses come to mind). got a fire immune pack you can knock back? use boulder (and I have. its very good for this, actually). You can't break them up? use cano (you haven't much choice). Firestorm actually comes to mind as good boss kill, and if you decide to and get geddon, then you can get close and watch your big rocks tear up non fire immunes.

--welt

6. TheGreatDivorce

TheGreatDivorce IncGamers Member

I'd say a Fire is more fun at PvM since there is more 'strategy' invovled, but Windy is better for PvP by far.

7. jumbo_SHRIMP

jumbo_SHRIMP IncGamers Member

im making a hybrid, and i think its going to kick everyones ass

phelix

8. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

hybrid won't have enough power to kick 'everyone's' ass since you'll need synergies for the skill to be powerful.

9. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

PvM, you could go both fire/cold builds. Amageddon+Hurricane rocks!

10. Lazy_BerZerker

Lazy_BerZerker Banned

hmm I'd like to see what kind of attack you would use then as your main ^^
    because every attack requires a synergy I guess, here is some examples:

Fire road for max physical:
    1 firestorm, 20 molten boulder, 1 fissure, and 20 volcano = 42 skill points
    Fire road max fire:
    20 firestorm, 20 molten boulder, 1 artic blast, 20 fissure, 1 cylcone armor, 1 twister, 20 volcano, 1 tornado, 20 armageddon, and 1 hurracane = 105 skill points
    Wind road max physical:
    1 artic blast, 20 cyclone armor, 20 twister, 20 tornado, and 20 Hurricane = 81 skill points
    Wind road max cold:
    1 artic blast, 1 cyclone armor, 20 twister, 20 tornado, and 20 hurricane = 62 skill points
    or 20 artic blast, 20 cyclone armor, 1 twister, 1 tornado, 20 hurricane = 62 skill points

So actually he could go with Wind's cold damage, and Fire's Physical damage giving 62+42 = 104 skill points, and he would be finished at lvl 93 :D (though the Druid would be rather weak IMO)

11. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

How much power do you think you need, I can get as much power out of my dual elemental druid as any windy druid out there. In fact I run more power by having a third skill and damage type on at all times.

You are thinking too far inside the box, If I were not building my dual elemental with only elemental skill tree skills then it would surely be a great dueler in its own rite.

My setup was this:

20 firestorm
    20 cyclone armor
    20 twister
    20 tornado
    20 hurricane
    1 arctic blast

and I deal the following with average gear (for single players atleast)

1400 hurricane damage
    2500 tornado damage
    1200 firestorm damage
    1400 armageddon damage
    1200 cyclone armor (not fully filled yet only at slvl 12 IIRC)

Oh and that is with no skillers, and only 7 total +elemental skills 3 from the pelt 3 from the amulet 1 from another source. If I added in the normal +skills from the items typically mentioned in these "dueler windy guides" then my tornado would be in the 6k range my hurricane would be in the 2.5k range not to mention my firestorm and armageddon both in the 3k range.

With perfect equipment I could pump firestorm into the 4k range while maintaining the windy like damages. Oh and that per stream so its really like 12k firestorm damage in melee range.

Start thinking outside of the box a bit and you'll find that hybrid (dual elemental druids) can be quite powerful even more so than their windy counterparts.