Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fire/Ice Magezon

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by SDSakuragi, Mar 29, 2004.

1. SDSakuragi

SDSakuragi IncGamers Member

Fire/Ice Magezon

I’ve noticed recently a lot of people have been doing guides on either FA zons or IA/Fire zons. I’ve heard people tell me how magezons with dual elements are now severely nerfed as it’s much harder for them to enjoy the synergies offered by 1.10 patch. Bullocks, I say to them! Bullocks! Just to prove them wrong, I set out to make a dual elemental magezon.

First off, it’s obvious that the emphasis of this build is versatility and that this attribute must be given priority above all else. While having both fire and cold damage at one’s disposal is great, the 1.10 magezon also has to be able to do physical damage and lots of it. Why physical damage? Well, the mana growth for the amazon class is notoriously pitiful, and while it is possible to pump oodles of points into energy to obtain a decent pool by level 50+, leeching is definitely an easier and more efficient way to keep up a steady stream of elemental bombardment.

This is why proper equipment is so important on a magezon. And here’s just a rough guideline on the stuff you should get.

Weapons: Buriza with a Kuko on switch.
    The Kuko is an obvious choice for its huge +6 bonus to Immo Arrow. The Buriza on the other hand will be the primary physical damage dealer and the perfect complement to Freezing Arrow. The Buriza adds a whooping 8 seconds of freeze time to Freezing Arrow and on top of that, there’s a substantial boost to the cold splash damage done.

Gloves: Rare +skills gloves are always nice but for those looking for something easily obtainable and less dependent on luck, I’d suggest the Hellmouth unique war gauntlets and a spare pair of Laying of Hands. The Hellmouth adds a nice bit of fire damage and has a bit of fire absorption, handy for doing trav runs. The Meteor and Firestorm mods are more or less just eye candy as the Meteor damage becomes pitiful in Hell and Firestorm will never hit the enemies at range. The Laying of Hands is firstly useful for it’s 20 IAS. The +350% Enhanced Damage to demons is very handy for laying the smacketh down on bosses and especially for neutralizing their 50% phys resist in Hell. Which pair of gloves you use really depends on the situation. Remember: Versatility!

Boots: Gore riders. Helps with dealing damage. Helps with preventing monsters from healing too much. Helps you move faster considerably. Helps a lot.

Amulet: Mara’s is nice, as is Highlords. This is really up to the player. I’m just using a Prismatic to help with resistances. I’d prefer a Mara’s myself, but they’re not that easy to get.

Rings: SoJs if you can get your hands on them. +skills is always useful for elemental skills. And additional mana without wasted points into Energy is always useful. But alas for us lesser mortals a rare ring with a decent flat bonus to mana (not energy) is great. Sure wish I hadn’t sold that +120 mana ring my Assassin found. Once again it’s your preference.

Now for the interesting part. Helm, Armor, Belt: Ideally, the 3 respective items from the Tal Rasha set would be perfect. Yes, I know it’s a sorc set, but I’ll come out and say this out right. It’s about the STUPIDEST design for a sorc set ever. 10% dual leech on the helm? Yea… I’m sure everyone’s sorc does enough physical damage that they can leech for all their mana and life needs and never use a pot. Bah! On the other hand a zon with a high damage Buriza will benefit greatly from the high dual leech. And, as I will explain later, the low vit and energy magezon will also enjoy the flat bonuses to life and mana.

The belt has +20 to Dex (obviously good for a bow user) and another flat bonus to mana. I swear, as if a level 80 sorc with over 1000 mana would give a fart about +30 mana! But a magezon with only around 300 mana will love the substantial boost to her pool.

The armor is good for one thing really… MFing. It has decent resist. Nice defense. Low strength requirements. All useful sure, but the main draw is the ** mf. And the 65 mf bonus from having 3 items from the set makes it even more attractive. Good luck finding it though, god knows I sure haven’t gotten it. While the belt and helm are easily obtainable and serve to give directly beneficial bonuses, the armor is really a matter of taste. If you’re not interested in MFing with the magezon, then Atma’s Wail will probably be more attractive. Even a Spirit Shroud will provide many useful bonuses. There’s many other choices, all of which are a lot easier on the pocketbooks than the Tal Armor.

Stat point distribution:

Str: 110 for me, basically the minimum you need for whatever equipment you choose.
    Vit: as needed. 50 total by the end is probably enough.
    Enr: I dropped 5 points in here on a whim and I’m still kicking my own *** over it. ZERO POINTS!
    Dex: EVERYTHING ELSE

Basically the stat point distribution is the same as for any bowazon. The main difference comes with the distribution of skill points.

The 20 in FA and IA are pretty much a given on a magezon. I’d put 10 into Cold Arrow for the bonus to cold damage. 1 is all you really need in Ice Arrow, there are a lot better ways to add to cold length. I’d put maybe ten into each of Fire and Explosion Arrow. They give nice bonuses to immolation. I use about 8 in Multishot, this is enough for crowd control purposes when playing alone. And 1 into guided arrow just in case because you never know. That’s about a total of 81 skill points in the Bow and Crossbows tree. Leaving 29 to be distributed in the Magic and Passive tree.

In the M and P tree, I’d suggest 7-8 in Critical Strike. 4 (that’s all you need with Kuko, Buriza comes maxed out) in Pierce. 1-5 in each of the three evasion skills depending on need. And a few in penetrate depending on need as well. Skip the left branch with the decoy and valk, they’re a waste of points IMO. If you need a meat shield hire a barb, at least they do more damage. For me, since I play online only, I have access to better, smarter meat shields: Other Players!

One note on this though, cannot be frozen enemies can become a pain in the *** if you don’t happen to have a meat shield. But this can easily be fixed by socketing the Buriza with a Nef. DO NOT get knockback gear as it will make you tear out your hair when you try to switch to the Kuko for Immo Arrow. Best to keep knockback strictly attached to the Buriza.

For Charms Get as many + Bow skills GCs as possible and all the +cold damage SCs as possible. Resist all Charms can be added too to supplement any deficiencies due to equipment choice.

That’s basically the general idea. Comments and suggestions welcome. :wave:

2. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

I would just like to know how well your zon is currently doing in Hell. With no valk, no decoy, no slow missle and just 50 vit, do you have a problem surviving or does the FA/other players handle everything for you?

Otherwise, a nice line abt why putting pts into ice arrow is a mistake would always be nice for newbies.

3. SDSakuragi

SDSakuragi IncGamers Member

Response to number 2

It depends alot on what you are doing with the Magezon. I use mine to run mainly the countess and cows and neither of these leisurely activities have given me much problems. Playing this build does take a bit of footwork and guesstimation when it comes to shooting offscreen enemies, playing in high res mode helps alot. In solo games delivering high damage is fairly easy. In multiplayer games the magezon may have trouble if she doesn't stick to a party and play a support role by freezing enemies for melee characters or setting them alight for christmas dinner. But there have been times when I've had to put a whole herd of cows on ice and take care of business myself because the stupid leechers can't hold down alt and attack enemies at the same time. :buddies:

4. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

I run most of my zons at some near 100 Vitality. I do die if I'm not careful, but I can usually take a hit.

I also have to speak towards MS in this build. There will be times that Multishot and Ballista will own and be your real defense. If there are enough creatures on the board, ie cows, it will also leech for you very well. This is especially usefull against cold immunes.

I've never really been all that impressed with the Immolation Arrow. If they would take the darn timing delay off it, it would be one of the better skills in the game. But I've been surprised at how well FA seems to work in most of the game.

But I will say this Zons are fun to play. Magezons even more fun.

5. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

I agree about Immolation Arrow. The timer just killed it which is ridiculous as its graphics are not that intensive compared to something such as poison nova or firewall (sorc spell). The immo damage could keep up (not counting absurd amounts of +skill items) if that damn timer wasn't there.