Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fire Enchanted Explosion...WTF!?!!?!?!?!!?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Squatdog, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Squatdog

Squatdog IncGamers Member

Fire Enchanted Explosion...WTF!?!!?!?!?!!?

Early today I was doing an 8-player Hell Baal Run with my lvl 86 Fury Druid. I had 65/75/75/25 resists and near 5000 life with BO/OS, which I feel is fairly decent...

The last pack spawned and I hoed in along with a lvl 92 Barb and a 8x Druid. All the minions died and only Lister was left. I leisurely whacked him a few times then...BANG!!!

Das_Wolf was slain by Lister
    lvl92 Barb was slain by Lister
    lvl8x Druid was slain by Lister

WTF!?!!?!?!?

Can someone give me an explanation how this is even possible???

2. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

What hole did you just crawl out of?

FE has been nasty all patch and eeven worse cursed, or multi enchanted like FE/LE or other.

3. det

det IncGamers Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shame you cannot search the forums anymore after the HDD went AWOL.

In short: Do not stand around when a FE boss explodes. He does massive Physical and Fire explosion in a big radius, which often is not even survived by full block, full DS and/or full resists, even absorb.

Places to avoid FE at all costs: NM/Hell Council, Ancients, Minions.

Other "features" to look out for: Vipers bonespear in Nihlataks tomb. Insta death possible

4. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Ya i noticed that recently, Nithlak Hell was not all that bad but it was Hell getting to him!

5. Squatdog

The thing is, it's so inconsistent.

I kill FE left and right without any problem, but every once in a while...BOOM!

The great thing about being a Druid is that the one-hit-kills usually just make you transform back to human. In fact, I'm not sure how I even got killed instantly by Lister...

"What hole did you just crawl out of?"

lol...Blizzard were making some noises about fixing the FE bug(s). I guess I should be grateful than Talic can't kill a whole party with one Whirlwind...

6. Jedi

Jedi IncGamers Member

i think the fixed explosion is corrected to 25%. but i am not sure about the number. i usually try to avoid highlife fe monsters so the % is not important to me.

lister is one of a few monsters that has a ton of life.. in 8 ppl game he even gets more life.the explosion is linked to the amount of life of the monster. u just need to be cursed which happens often at the last minion pack and the explosion hurts a lot then even the effect is downgraded.

regards
    Jedi

7. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

I believe it has a lot to do with the number of hitpoints the monster had to begin with. I've killed hell Pindleskin a million times, and he's FE all the time. His death explosion has never been a big deal (low hit points). Lister has pretty high hit points in hell.

8. det

det IncGamers Member

Well, it was Hell that they fixed..and suddenly NM FE becomes an issue...more than Hell apparently.

The Thrower of the Ancients pack could kill you with one hit if he was FE..can he still?

9. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Fe alone in hell, no other terrible mods isnt an issue, but if you combine FE with some curse like decrep or amp, less than perfect resists which 65 fire is less than perfect, CE or LE, or Spectreal.

i beleive it is FE/LE/Spectreal Lidsters that will one hit kill you and if its not hime it is FE/CE/Spectreal. Simple fact is, know all the mods, dont messs with a "boosted FE" with big life. Extra strong can be an issue also.

FE in NM wasnt cchanged and since it is NM and many people attempt to gear items a bit earlier than needed like a CCB at lvl 63 FE can really be an issue. They only changed FE in Hell not NM, soe FE Listers, council, Hepesto, and many more in NM and Hell can be an easy death for you. Is it Colonzo or whatever, the first mionon pack boss? Well that little punk wiht basically no life can hurt pretty smartly on his death when FE.

10. Squatdog

"The Thrower of the Ancients pack could kill you with one hit if he was FE..can he still?"

I think it applied to any of the 3, but is fixed now.

11. Wayfaring

Wayfaring IncGamers Member

Sorry to hear about the loses. This is exactly why I've given up on melee characters. At least with MSLE in 1.09 you could gear a character to handle the mods. In 1.10, you can make a ranged character or spend your time tip-toeing around monsters hoping that you can avoid instant death. Throw in IM every 10 seconds on top of that and I'll stick to ranged characters. Last three melee characters died with max block and max resists. No thanks...

12. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

If you intend to only level up in Baal runs, then yes, melee characters are dangerous. But you don't *have* to do Baal runs. There are dozens of places in the game to fight critters; only in the CS and Worldstone/Throne do you need to worry about IM, and even in those places, there are back-up options (ranged attacks, zerk). FE is still an issue, but you can always check mods and run.

I like it that there are some creatures that are dangerous/impossible to kill. Keeps it interesting. If you can just steamroll anything in the game, then who cares?

13. kurg

kurg IncGamers Member

I think this is why I fear ANY FE boss sooooo much.

I only play ranged characters for the most part. But the few times I've nearly been killed by FE was when it was Spectral hit too and one other type of element. Also, as people say, large-life makes the effect worse (and I'm sure you were in an 8 player game where lister has what, 100k hitpoints?).

Sadly the only character I lost to this is the one freaking boss that cannot even move!!!! Lol!

I lost my enchant sorc in nm to coldworm (the boss in maggot 3) because I figured I could Frozen orb him with my low level orb. I was stupid and was standing at point blank range, and I never checked his mods because of course the only thing to worry about is his death poison, right?! I mean the fat bastard can't even move, what is there to worry about? Wrong! His death explosion (cold enchanted fire enchanted and something else?) was instant death for my sorc with 600 life (in NM).

I'm probably the only person on all the realms who has died to the only boss that cannot move, lol.

14. Corndog

Corndog IncGamers Member

This is what Ive been saying all along. FE alone is not a killer. Mixed with LE, spectral, Extra Strong, or Cursed and its probably lights out for your melee charachter.

15. Chiller_babe

Chiller_babe IncGamers Member

You might think this - but I lost my first ladder charac in exactly the same way. Level 58 Pally from max life to deeds in a blink of an eye. I was so suprised I just sat there for about 5 mins in complete shock that a fat maggot could kill my Tesladin:)

Chill

16. Silkweed

Silkweed IncGamers Member

Why would you be firing frozen orb at Coldworm? He's cold immune in NM.

17. Azonian

Azonian IncGamers Member

LOL i was thinking the same thing...maybe his merc got him? :)

18. rachelene2

rachelene2 IncGamers Member

Learning thru experience

Instead of soiling a new pair of underwear everytime I do fight FE big life bosses, I try to keep the same pair when I play. The ones I've stained repeatedly before. Make no mistake, I do wash and bleach them, but there is always a little something remaining even after the most stringent scouring, and I see no point in staining more pairs.

Long Johns with elastic or velcro strips at the ankles is a good idea too for doing Baal Minions in Hell, or even for those Baal NM runs if you attempt to melee. No point in overflowing over the carpet to top it all. I've lost good chars twice to LEFE bartuc in NM. I've earned the right to be afraid.

19. Mecal

Mecal IncGamers Member

3 deaths in one...

i hope you took a screanie!
    :xx:

20. Wayfaring

Wayfaring IncGamers Member

At some point, those are the only spots to gain experience.

I would agree if it were across the board that there were creatures too dangerous/impossible to kill. Unfortunately, only melee characters are singled out for this "feature". If there were also an equal number of creatures that caused instant death to any character outside melee attack range then the game could be just as "interesting" to all characters.

[SARCASM] While were at it, how about a curse that is the ranged counterpart to IM. The game could be really interesting at that point... [/SARCASM]

:grrr: