Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fire Elementalist: MB or Grizzly

Discussion in 'Druid' started by psuedoenviro, Feb 3, 2004.

1. psuedoenviro

psuedoenviro IncGamers Member

Fire Elementalist: MB or Grizzly

How do fire druids deal with fire immunes?

I currently have a lvl 78 elementalist fire druid on ladder Act 2 hell with
    20 Firestorm
    20 Fissure
    20 Volcano
    10 to Oak.
    1pt into Grizzly and prereqs

I'm also using a might merc right now at lvl 77. My main killing skill is fissure. I could deal with fire immune in 2 ways.

1) max MB which will improve Volcano and Firestorm and giving me castable phys damage of 567-657 at lvl 25.

2) max Grizzly and with a lvl 20 might aura from merc should give me 1635 min phy damage from grizzly at lvl 20..

Which option do u guys think would be better or is there a third option I missed? Thanks

2. matticon

matticon IncGamers Member

use the run skill for fire immunes...

3. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Doesn't your merc kill well?... What is he packin? A cheesy thing to do is use a % chance to amp damage weapon (Lacerator if you're rich, a 5% bow if you're not) and shoot until it casts and let your merc do the work. Other than that find him a good weapon or try to pack a bunch of Crushing Blow on him. At your level you can craft a nice spear for him using the Safety craft.

Personally, I'd beef up my meatsheild to hold monsters in place for Fissure and / or volcano.

4. royalesse

Oops... the quote was for an LOL... hehe... forgot to put that at the front of my post... good one matticon

5. psuedoenviro

psuedoenviro IncGamers Member

Great idea with the amp damage bow since im a dex/life only build and ive notice alot of rares spawning with that mod. Yeah im really lacking with merc weapon...currently using Hwanin's Justice Bill. As for my original question meat shield over additional volcano damage?

6. Bob_TheMadCow

Bob_TheMadCow IncGamers Member

For which we have the "edit button pressing" skill...

Meanwhile, nothing can kill Molten Boulders, and that damge can be applied more oftne that the Grizzly's damage and doesn't need AR. Then again, not all monsters can be KB'd by molten Boulder. SO then MB adds to the synergy of Volcano so then it would do physical damage too :)

and it helps FS which is a rather underrated skill in 1.10, as people assume it still sucks ala 1.07-8-9 :(

7. royalesse

Hehe... I'll prolly forget that skill before I use it.

Chance to cast Amp damage supposedly spawns on rings, amulets and weapons so look at all three. Atma's scarab automatically has it. WitchWild string is a pretty decent bow that has deadly strike, lvl 20 magic arrow, and 2% chance to cast Amp damage. It also has 2 sockets that you can put double Shaels for speed, Eths to help out your merc, or Bers to cut down bosses.

Cheap things for the merc is that you can get Guillame's face, Rattlecage, and the Amn+Tir runeword... that should equal 95% crushing blow. That should help vs. fire immunes a lot. You may have a problem with your merc getting swamped by then so meatsheilds would help.

IMO it sounds like a quicker solution than pumping Molten Boulder point by point to get phys damage out of your volcano.

Lastly... Piercing used to help with chance to cast since it would roll with each pierce... if that's the case then see if you can trade for a razortail. I'd check before I'd start trading though.

8. Frezzist

Frezzist IncGamers Member

Considering your set-up, volcano won't help you that much because the bear
    would knock enemies off it. Or that's what always happened to me in 1.09, maybe it was changed in the patch. You could unsummon the bear but that may negate your playing style. MB does stupid physical damage, about 600 per knockback if you're lucky and it has problems with multiple enemies.
    It's okay if you have the patience but I don't recommend it.

For you, I recommend concentrating on the merc/bear combo. Ultimate merc weapon for the fire elementist is an etheral crescent moon spear or polearm ( shael um tir). Getting an um is pretty tough but just keep doing Pit, Countess and/or Blood raven runs until you get the required stuff (Took me about 30 runs and 200 mf to get the goods; results may very). I agree that crushing blow is a good mod for your merc and and also look for the deadly strike and cause open wounds mods. But you have to find that stuff first; those are all unique, set and crafted mods only.

For some comparison, here's my ladder fire druid (hardcore, if it matters)
    Level 81
    20 molton boulder
    20 fissure (eventually)
    20 volcano
    20 armageddon
    5 oak spirit
    rest in cyclone armor

Main fire skill is the armageddon/volcano combo with solo volcano against fire immunes and ranged attackers; merc is an holy freeze act II equiped with an etheral crescent moon colossus voulge, strength armor and a Tal rasha helm for the life/leech/resist mods. I am sort of stuck right now in act 1 Hell; I am waiting to get volcano fully synergized and the xp and items in Hell act 1 are not too bad.