Fire druid, maxing firestorm or armageddon?

Envi

Diabloii.Net Member
Fire druid, maxing firestorm or armageddon?

Hi, I've started a firedruid and i'm gonna play it through the game (so pvm only) together with a summoner-necromancer
and I can't decide whether I should max Firestorm or armageddon.

So far i'm thinking of going max: volcan, molten boulder, fissure, armageddon and then the rest into summons or Oak Sage.
The firestorm adds damage to fissure though which will be my main skill together with volcan.
On the other hand armageddon adds damage to volcano.

So which skill is combination is the most effective?
Feel free to recommend other builds but so far I've put 17 in volcano, 5 molten boulder, and 13 fissure.

Thanks in advice!

Within

Diabloii.Net Member
i will suggest maxing firestorm for the synergies, armageddon AOE is kinda random.. there mayb other more experienced fire druid around.. Wait for their advice =)

Envi

Diabloii.Net Member
Alright. I will wait and see what the elders have to say ;). Thx for helping out though :)

pedu

Diabloii.Net Member
I think the armageddon was only a one point wonder. Will try to check tho.

edit: yea, only one point. You have to take my word for it tho, the guide is on a "no no site". Will check a little more.

edit2: either im too drUnck to find claniraqs guide at battle.net forums or then theyve removed it. Either way, he suggests to only put one point in armageddon, and correct me if im wrong but he seems to know what hes talking about.

Envi

Diabloii.Net Member
Alright, firestorm it is with one point armageddon is the way i'm going.

Thanks for the help :)

Edit: Btw, is it wise going for a higher fissure damage? Armageddon also adds to the damage of volcano.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Alright, firestorm it is with one point armageddon is the way i'm going.

Thanks for the help :)

Edit: Btw, is it wise going for a higher fissure damage? Armageddon also adds to the damage of volcano.
If I definitely have the skill points, such as if I'm making a pure elementalist, I always like to boost both Fissure and Volcano. They're two very different skills with two very different uses- Fissure rules hard against large packs, while Volcano will kill single monsters so quickly it's not even funny. Fissure tends to do better against moving targets, while Volcano whups up on stationary targets.

A tip- if you're partying up wtih a Summoner Necro, you might want to go with HoW instead of Oak Sage. All those skeletons will act as a living shield, keeping you safe from harm, and the HoW will help them out a lot more than the Oak will. Not that Oak is a bad choice by any stretch, I just prefer HoW when I'm in a party with a bunch of minions who are doing the tanking for me.

pedu

Diabloii.Net Member
Humm...

I was looking at a shaman build. A fire druid that maxes grizzly also. And since youre pvm only, and with a nec, i doubt youll go with grizzly. Sorry about that.

You should have enough points to max both. Molten boulder, fissure, volcano, armageddon, firestorm. ~100 points, finished at ~** give or take.

Kirah

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome to the wild, wild World of Wolves!! (whups... I mean elements).

I'd go with HoW + either faith or beast to see those skellies really, really smash through enemy lines quickly. Note that both fanatacism and HoW will increase skellie attack and skellie mage casting! I'd still have at least one point into bear for meat shield, your +skills will carry it into medium effectiveness and unlike the Necro, you can summon it anywhere allowing a lot of tactical uses. Your buddy the necro got surprised by a pack of monsters and is getting wacked? Summon bear on him and he'll probably survive. Skellies and revives going wrong way and you need something to slow that pack of monsters down long enough for you to realign your defenses? Cast bear at them! Lots of uses! You really should try a werewolf one of these day though. :grin:

Good luck and Good Hunting!
Kirah

Envi

Diabloii.Net Member
Alright, I think I'll just try to keep them as even as possible then, and going for HoW and then create a werewolf :)
I did play a little bit with a mauler bear (like lvl 26) before the fire druid but he wasn't too strong :/ so I choose a fire druid instead.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd go with HoW + either faith or beast to see those skellies really, really smash through enemy lines quickly. Note that both fanatacism and HoW will increase skellie attack and skellie mage casting!
Just a nit: HoW will do absolutely nothing for Skeleton Mages. Not a big deal, since Mages are the redheaded stepchildren of the Summonecro world.

Sheep

Diabloii.Net Member
If you know how to use armageddon, you'll notice the aoe isn't as random as most people think. it always hits most to the upper right of you., if you run, try to get people to chase you or attack you from the uper right of your screen, at a diagonal (on one of the grid lines).

technically, you can max all of the fire skills, but since firestorm synergizes the mighty fissure it seems the best option to max first.

Envi

Diabloii.Net Member
SSoG: that's no problem, he is going to max out his skelletons, then go for some bone spells.

Sheep: Hmm, okay i'll have to do some testing to learn how it works i guess. Afterall i'll have some time to learn it playing the last baalruns before moving onto NM.

Okay I think I'll try to get them both to about level 10 and then max firestorm, I just like Volcano :)

Metathrom

Diabloii.Net Member
You'd probably be better off making a Wind Druid to take advantage of his Amplify Damage/Decrep(Tornado) and Lower Res(Hurricane), which also benefit his skeles and Corpse Explosion... he'll love your Oak Sage as well. For Mercs you guys should get 1 Might and 1 Defiance/Freeze/Fanaticism(rogue), and at least one Insight polearm for his CE and your Tornado spam. If you're rich, an additional merc equipped with Pride, Faith or Infinity would also own. For your own weapons, a Call to Arms runeword on weapon switch will boost the entire party of summons and the characters as well, and Beast is a winner for the Necro. This the aura setup for maximum efficiency and party-friendliness, IMO:
- Fanaticism from Beast or Faith
- Might from merc
- Meditation from merc
- Defiance from merc
- Concentration or Conviction from merc
- Oak Sage
- BO/BC from Call to Arms

However with a Fire Druid, which is a good companion to a Summoner Necro, I believe that Fissure and its synergies are the best to max: Volcano & Firestorm. Oak Sage and/or HoW should get the rest of the points. Infinity will work well for both of you in this case. :afro:

Kirah

Diabloii.Net Member
SSog,

Hmm.... good point about HoW not affecting magi casting timing... subtle point. Nice catch!

thanks,
Kirah

Envi

Diabloii.Net Member
Metathrom: The wind druids seems to be stronger or atleast more popular, but I don't like taking the common route (not that a fire druid is uncommon, but still).
And yeah those items would be awesome :D but we're starting from scratch so we'll just have the auras from our mercs.
Looks as if people think fissure is stronger than armageddon, so fissure it is(to begin with ofc :))

Enviac