Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fire-Cold sorc

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by lorax, Oct 14, 2006.

1. lorax

lorax IncGamers Member

Fire-Cold sorc

Hello guys, now I'm back again..
    If you have been here for a longer time you might have noticed my guide in the library, which means I do have some basic knowledge :)

Back to play diablo2 again..
    I want to make a sorceres, and I have grown more aware of the immunity problem..

So I want to make an fire/cold sorceres.

I read through some of your guides, and I liked some and disliked some other.

Okay, some basic things I will try to get out of this build:

Resistances.
    Max Block (whistans guard)
    Vit
    Decent damage
    A more viable build
    Magic-Find - will do some mf runs

For that I have combined some skills:

Cold tree:
    20 Orb
    20 Cold mastery

Fire tree:
    1-10 Warmth
    20 Firewall
    20 Fire mastery

Light tree:
    1 Static - Will use this A lot
    1 Tele - ;)

I do not want to list pre-reqs..

I choose mastery over any synergie damage wisely. If you don't know why please don't ask, or read my guide..

This build should use Full tal-rasha's and whistans guard... then i will just add some random rings.. can't afford SoJ..

Also the merc shouldn't be using infinity, but I want to choose a weapon with more damage as I want the merc to have high damage..

This will give us actually 4 ways of to hurt monsters.
    1 - Orb
    2 - Fire
    3 - Merc
    4 - Static

So now to the question will the damage be high enough?

Over and out LoraX...

also I might turn this into a guide one day if the build works allright..

2. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

If your aim is to build a non-cookie cutter sorc, then it will work.

20 CM may not be all that advisable... it depends on the areas you plan on running and the degree of cold resistance of the monsters in those areas. Most people stop at slvl 17 after + skills.

The merc needs to be a reliable tank for keeping monsters in place for your FW. To that end, gear him up with resistances, PDR% and life leech. There are lots of weapons out there. The Reaper's Toll would be useful for the decrepify, as it will slow monsters making them take longer to run out of your FW.

If you want something more mainstream (read: tested and reliable), then go for the Meteorb or Blizzball.

3. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

20 in Cold mastery? Probably a waste. Nobody pumps 20 hard points into that. Immunity caps at -100% anyways. I'm not sure fire wall will do enough damage, as it relies on your enemies standing still in the fire.

4. lorax

lorax IncGamers Member

.. The merc's purpose should partly be to make the monsters stand still in the firewall = much dmg.. One could argue that Meteor would do the same effect, butttt... I dunno, I don't like meteor..

My only real problem is if the merc will be able to keep monsters in the firewall??

perhaps I should go on with the meteor..

5. Delreich

Delreich IncGamers Member

The best part about going for Meteor rather than Firewall is that you can get a great Fireball as well. This would make it the pretty much standard Sasja style MeteOrb though, which may or may not be something you want...

6. EnerSense

EnerSense IncGamers Member

Most melee monsters will stay in the fire if they are busy fighting your merc. There may be a couple that will get out if they decide to go after your main character. Now this is easier to do with melee monsters. Here is a trick I learned from sirpoopsalot:

For melee monsters - Use teleport and your merc. Teleport in place or nearby. This will reset those monsters and bring your merc close to you. The monsters and merc will charge at each other to fight. As they're fighting, cast fire wall. This works most of the time. You have maybe a couple monsters leaving the fire but most of them burn to death.

Now, ranged monsters are not affected by this trick. You can at least cast your fire wall from a distance. They will either split up or stay in place. You'll just need to be creative to take them down or just teleport to avoid them.

Hope that helps you. :smiley:

7. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

Not to bring up this debate again, but why go max block on a caster sorc? I generally don't worry about block and I only get a few points in DR% for my sorc (merc of course gets as much DR% as possible up to 50%).

Its not simply a matter of points into dex or vit anymore. All the good caster shields have terrible blocking. You will loose a lot by not using a good caster shield (i.e. spirit). Without using a spirit the only way to hit the 105% FCR breakpoint is with lidless and 2 FCR rings. If you are going to use whistans then you'll be capped at hitting the 63% FCR breakpoint (use full tal + magefists). For the skills you are using (firewall and orb) I suppose you don't really need a lot of FCR, maybe 63% is good enough, but I can't stand that slow of a teleport.

8. lorax

lorax IncGamers Member

I wanted to choose max block because this really saves your day a lost times..
    If you tele into a large group of monsters ... you could survive if you had max block..
    Okay I made some calculations: I get 50% FCR from Tals set
    and I get 30 around from spirit, then I should wear magefist aswell and a FCR ring to reach 105% breakpoint?

9. FrostBurn

If you roll a perfect 35% FCR Spirit, then Magefist and full Tal's is sufficient for 105% FCR.

Otherwise, throw in a FCR ring.

10. lorax

lorax IncGamers Member

I have made up my mind, I will go for the 65% breakpoint, and use full tal and magefist..
    then screw the 40% mf ;)

11. lorax

lorax IncGamers Member

Okay I have started the character, currently around lvl 6-8..

I will use Full Tal's (MF gems - yellow ones ;) )
    Magefists (for 65% FCR breakpoint)
    Wt's
    1xManald
    1XNagel
    Sorc Torch (16'17)
    Whistans guard with P Diamond.

Skills will be arranged:

Meteor - 20
    Firebaal - 20
    FO - 20
    CM - enough to reach the 17 with item bonuses
    FM - 10-20
    Tele - 1
    Static - 1
    Warmth - 1-10

Stats will be:

Str - enough for gear
    Dex - max block
    Vit - Rest
    Energy - problemly around 100 - depends on how much i need..

Merc will be Act 2 nm with holy freeze
    He will use Gaze, Shaft, Any pole i find - nicest will be obediance..

Please comment..

12. FrostBurn

1 hard point in Warmth.

Energy at base, mana pots are plenty and free.

The 9 fpc breakpoint is at 63% FCR, but 70% FCR from your gear will be fine.

13. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

yep, no reason to put than 1 point in warmth - save those for FM, CM or synergize your fireball some more with points in firebolt.

For your merc just be sure to add some IAS and FHR. Try to make your obediance in an eth great poleaxe or a giant thresher. Cryptic Axe and Collosus Voulge are too slow.