Fire Claws WW Druid - Doable?

jb4479

Diabloii.Net Member
Fire Claws WW Druid - Doable?

Hello all,

I have been playing D1 and D2 for several years. With the release of the new patch and it synergies, I had an intesting thought when deciding to try a WW druid. I have a WB that is doing quite well. My thinking goes this way:

Max WereWolf
Max Lycanthrope
Max Fire Claws
5 pts to each of the following: (use as synergies only, not cast)
Firestorm
Molten Boulder
Fissure
Volcano
This of course leaves 30 pts to play with

My question is on other skills:
Oak Sage (for Life)
Should I use Fury or Feral Rage or possibly both?
And what about other summons?

Any one with experience using the wolf please reply. Until now I have exclusively played Bears (Tank type unil 1.09) when playing Druid.

Thx
 

SideShowBob

Diabloii.Net Member
I have not played a Fireclaw build in 1.10. I would however
suggest that you concentrate your points in one spell (e.g., Volcano).
I find that at times it is easier to use a spell than attack as a werewolf
such as when hit by Iron Maiden. This is what I have done with my
Armageddon werewolf in Nightmare Chaos Sanctuary and World Stone
Keep. It made Baal running more reasonable when Oblivion Knights
spawned.
 

randy

Diabloii.Net Member
what sideshowbob said.

and i know you want a WW, but a bear is a much better idea in this case.

you get a massive AR bonus from fire claws so it's much better to have the bear's extra life and defense in 1.10.

and then spend those extra points in shockwave :D

what puts me off this idea is the huge numbers of fire immunes in hell. i can't think of a sensible way to deal with them.
 

Vorbiss

Diabloii.Net Member
Do what most druids do about Fire/Phys immunes, banana/Azurewrath + tiamat's on switch, one point in Maul(if you go WB, of course). :)
 

Vorbiss

Diabloii.Net Member
randy said:
and if i'm untwinked?
Shop for one of those wands that look like gimmershred(stat wise). Once I've found one with 1-430 lightning and enormous fire damage, should work...
Other than that, you might try Maul, but fire/phys immunes are many too, so the wand is your best bet...
 

factotum

Diabloii.Net Member
randy said:
what puts me off this idea is the huge numbers of fire immunes in hell. i can't think of a sensible way to deal with them.
Well, since Fire Claws ADDS its fire damage to your attack (it works like the Sorceress's Enchant in this regard) then all you need is to make sure you're doing plenty of physical damage--then the only thing you'll have trouble with is a dual physical/fire immune, and how common are those?
 

Vorbiss

Diabloii.Net Member
factotum said:
Well, since Fire Claws ADDS its fire damage to your attack (it works like the Sorceress's Enchant in this regard) then all you need is to make sure you're doing plenty of physical damage--then the only thing you'll have trouble with is a dual physical/fire immune, and how common are those?
Those are very common in my exp. ;)
 

SideShowBob

Diabloii.Net Member
Randy,

My experience agrees well with your own. I have an Armagedon
werebear who does quite well thanks to shock wave and
a good feral axe. I've been using a nice +3 Armageddon
+2 Grizzly Delerium helm on my werewolf build for crowd
control. It works, but it is a bit scary at times as he comes
unshifted instead of turning into a Stygian Doll when the level
50 chance to cast Delerium goes off.

randy said:
and if i'm untwinked?
Vorbiss has sage advice.

Untwinked is tougher than ever IMO. Another solution would be to
hope for good NM Hellforge and Hell Countess runs in order to
scrape together runes for Crescent Moon. The tough one there is
the Um. Then a nice quick weapon like a Phase Blade or Feral
Axe with 3-sockets would be nice. You might be able to find it in
the Crypt or Mausoleum (since the monsters there are lightning
immunes it is easier for your build to run than The Pit). It would
be a lot of work though.
 

Liquid_Evil

Diabloii.Net Member
I've built a FC Werebear and he solo'ed it all the way to Hell Diablo (but there were too many Fire Immunes) so I had a friend help me get to him. Other than that, there were no problems with it though my build looks slightly different than yours. I pumped the synergies rather than pumping WB and Lycan. Oh, and use the fastest speed weapon possible, I am using a 110% IAS phaser for 4 fps attacking speed. When you hit 6.2 10K fire damage times a second(this guy should reach around 13K when done), there's not a whole lot anything except Fire Immunes can do to stop ya. Best of luck in your untwinked druid.
 

Gwandort

Diabloii.Net Member
Liquid_Evil said:
I've built a FC Werebear and he solo'ed it all the way to Hell Diablo (but there were too many Fire Immunes) so I had a friend help me get to him. Other than that, there were no problems with it though my build looks slightly different than yours. I pumped the synergies rather than pumping WB and Lycan. Oh, and use the fastest speed weapon possible, I am using a 110% IAS phaser for 4 fps attacking speed. When you hit 6.2 10K fire damage times a second(this guy should reach around 13K when done), there's not a whole lot anything except Fire Immunes can do to stop ya. Best of luck in your untwinked druid.
So you went 20 FC and 1 point in all the rest of the shapeshifting tree + all the other points in synergies? Sounds interesting...

What other gear do you think is needed? I'm in a serious temtation to build one like this (and team with my friends pure cold sorc :teeth: )
 

randy

Diabloii.Net Member
thanks for the advice SideShowBob and you too Vorbiss.

Liquid_Evil, as tempting as maxing the synergies is i'm not sure it's viable in hc when you need all the life and defence maxing lycanthorpy and WB give you.

it's a build that could really do with another 60 or so points to spread around :rolleyes: but i'm going to keep on going and see how it turns out.
 

chaos

Diablo: IncGamers Member
Ermm i'm thinking that a few points in bear or wolves as a distraction, while you shoot them with a shocking <anything> bow or just a 6 topaz/Ort bow, could be a safer alternative dealing with FI/PIs.

But this is from the PoV of a person who's yet to play .10. :D
 

SideShowBob

Diabloii.Net Member
chaos said:
Ermm i'm thinking that a few points in bear or wolves as a distraction, while you shoot them with a shocking <anything> bow or just a 6 topaz/Ort bow, could be a safer alternative dealing with FI/PIs.

But this is from the PoV of a person who's yet to play .10. :D
Sounds pretty reasonable to me. My near death experiences in softcore
seem to have been worst in the Maggot Lair though from boss packs of
FE lightning immune beetles (they seem to inevitably kill my poor dad's
softcore characters).
 

Liquid_Evil

Diabloii.Net Member
Gwandort said:
So you went 20 FC and 1 point in all the rest of the shapeshifting tree + all the other points in synergies? Sounds interesting...

What other gear do you think is needed? I'm in a serious temtation to build one like this (and team with my friends pure cold sorc :teeth: )
-Gear Options-
Jalals/Cerebus/Shako
4) shael'ed phase blade with 2) 15% IAS jewels (for 110% breakpoint)
Stormshield/Spike Thorn
Stone/Lionheart/Gloom/Shaft if you need more PDR
Ravenfrost/BK ring/Angelic Ring/good rare
Cats Eye/Good rare/Angelic Amulet
Aldurs/Waterwalk
Magefist/Bloodfist
Verdungos/T.Gods/String of Ears
Fire Facets
+Shapeshifting Grand Charms

Best of luck to you and your teammate.

randy said:
Liquid_Evil, as tempting as maxing the synergies is i'm not sure it's viable in hc when you need all the life and defence maxing lycanthorpy and WB give you.
Yes, I'd assume hc was a different story. However, I manage to get 2500 life out of this bear with his gear. Untwinked will probably mean more points into Bear and even more into Lycan. When hunting for items though, keep in mind that faster is better, and also save your runes to cube yourself some shaels. I'm gonna stand by the speed factor on this build.
 
Top