Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fire Claws questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Grishnakh, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Grishnakh

Grishnakh IncGamers Member

Another build I had never done. Looking around at different gear options and had a few questions.

At first glance, the phoenix runeword seems tailor made for fireclaws. What are people's opinions?

Aldur's set vs jalal's/coh/gemmed pb

With enough +skills, do i need more than 1 hard point in lycanthropy? seems i could squeeze out more damage via synergies that way. Looks like I can do the same with shockwave.

Any other thoughts on the build are welcomed as well.

2. twillight

twillight IncGamers Member

I think there's a reason why Fire Claws Druid is a PvP build.

By pure damage the elemental part looks like Holy Freeze damage without the slowing-effect, and its syns are entirely passive, AND can't zeal out the damage.
    It has much more syns, the problem becomes the immunity.

All in all for PvM it could be a supportive skill, but not a main skill if you ask me.

3. tiac

tiac IncGamers Member

However, with a 6-shael Phaseblade, a bear hits 4fpa.

The synergies give massive boosts. With a cheap setup (Jalal's, Mara's, Spirt monarch, Shaftstop or other pure defense armor, BKWB, Raven), I'm getting nearly 5k damage per hit even with only two synergies. For FIs, put a high damage weapon on switch and hammer away with a few points in Shockwave and Maul.

I think the cast delay from Phoenix's firestorm will mess you up too badly to be worth using.

4. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Aldur's Set? Haven't seen that mentioned in a few years!

General consensus is the only thing it is good for is FC, but you will be better off with bespoke gear.

Fire Claws should be doable PvM but you need a backup for FIs. A fast weapon with a load of CB should be good.

Personally I would recommend looking at JihadJesus' Flaming Mauler guide. I have one in Hell still, maybe I will get around to finishing him soon.

Bears seem to be in fashion at the moment :)

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I think the boots are pretty nice (as well as Natalya's and perhaps IK and Sander's). You will have to pick up a lot of rares in order to find a better pair... and no other boots but these can have 40%frw, except magical ones.

6. Naturallog

Naturallog IncGamers Member

What a lot of people forget about fire claws is it gets the maul damage bonus once you've stacked it. And fire claws has a much higher AR bonus on top of the fire damage. Using it as a physical attack with extra fire damage added makes your bear kind of like a concentrate barb with a few thousand fire damage tacked on.

I just finished a patriarch bear who did this with an IK maul. It turns out even with modest gear fire claws with a 2h weapon and a stack of maul will deal pretty solid damage even against fire immunes. This is a superior PvM build to pure fire claws, which has too low physical damage to make good use of leech and has no answer to fire immunes.

As for the build itself, you can push it more toward fire claws by favoring +skill gear and investing more heavily in fire claws synergies. Shapeshift GCs are actually pretty good for this build as well. I tend to favor physical damage though.

7. Zylo

Zylo IncGamers Member

Zaph did a FC bear using both grief/Phoenix and a tomb reaver. He ultimately favored the big 2h'er. I think you could make Phoenix work, unless you're wanting to use a 110ias pb.(That's more pvp oriented anyway, way to many fire immunes to go that route imo.) If I remember correctly, grief pb hits 8 frames(maybe 7?), which isn't too bad. The added physical damage will make leeching easy, not to mention redemptions crazy good usefulness in pvm. Using a pb though, you'll have extra points in dex, which is abysmal on a bear using a shield with no faster block recovery. You'll have to be Johnny on the spot with shock wave. A little extra fcr doesn't hurt. Arachnid's, fortitude, and magefist are nice gear options, if you can weasel them in.

8. tiac

tiac IncGamers Member

You can get 4 fpa with low dex by using a shaeled Demon Crossbow.

9. Naturallog

Naturallog IncGamers Member

Clever. My approach, when I get the runes, will be BotD GPA with merc faith for 6 FPA and all the physical damage you could ever want. I currently have the Zod and a wonderful superior ward bow for faith. Just need an eth GPA and some travincal runs.

I'll make sure to post how my weapon choice works out. I don't like losing the option for Reaper's Toll or Infinity on the merc, but I think the IAS is worth it. I think I'll try both Infinity and Faith actually. I can hit 7 FPA with Infinity which won't be so bad, and I already have the Infinity waiting.

10. Zylo

Zylo IncGamers Member

Fast hitting weapons with terrible physical damage are geared more towards pvp. So I'll leave it at that.

Fire makes up a huge part of your damage, I'd lean towards infinity. Both sound like viable options though... but I hate relying on A1 faith for ias break points. To me, she's always a screen behind, and the aura kicks in 1/2 through the fight. No bueno.

11. LiquidClear

LiquidClear IncGamers Member

I'd definitely go with either Reaper's or Infinity. Either will increase your damage output far more than 7 FPA to 6 FPA attack, plus they provide the potential benefit of breaking immunities.

Zylo likes this.