Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fine Tuning my Hammerdin

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by DamienDCLXVI, Jun 26, 2010.

1. DamienDCLXVI

DamienDCLXVI IncGamers Member

Fine Tuning my Hammerdin

I've got 2 or 3 slots on my hammerdin that I feel could be improved but I'm not sure what would be best suited to them.
    Current Set Up...

Helm: Shako
    Body: Uped Vipermagi 28 Res 10 MRD
    Weapon: HOTO 33 res
    Shield: Spirit 31 FCR in a 42 Res guilded shield
    Gloves: Magefist
    Boots: War Travs
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh
    Rings: SoJ, Ravenfrost
    Ammy: 28 Res Maras

I am not really sure about the boots, MF doesnt matter much to me but I like the 10 Str and Vit. Are there more solid options to help my stats?
    My raven at least saves me 20 dex, which is helpful since I need cant be frozen at least till I can get an Enigma (Still need Ber).
    My armor I feel I could switch for a Que-Hegan's Wisdom to increase my defence. The FCR would mean I could drop a charm, mana after kill is nice but not too important. The energy would be a slight bonus. The only downside I see is that it decreaces my fire resist to 52. All other stay max though, And I don't really fear fire. I am thinking about going after the Ubers with my friend so I'm trying to tweak myself to get whatever bonuses I can.
    I look forward to some advice.

2. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Re: Fine Tuning my Hammerdin

Enigma for armor when you can, I would be willing to see if the soj would get you that ber you need, it make more difference in the long run. Just make sure you throw it in a nice armor.

Hoz will make a huge difference (pref non-upped) - fcr is nice, but I'd keep that for the switch with a CTA. Just hit the 75 fcr bp with gloves and belt, or gloves, ring. You end up losing to much by going spirit/hoto.

Sandstorm Treks are pretty standard if you care little for mf, and they can have up to 15/15 str/vit not to mention much needed source of FHR.

An Hdin doesn't really need a raven since FCR isn't affected by slows/freeze, so that could free up a ring slot, ie nice rare fcr ring). -I just saw why, but don't count on the raven's +20 dex bonus for too long as you should eventually outgrow it)

Best be sure your friend is tanking the ubers, otherwise you're both in a world of hurt. It's possible to solo ubers on an Hdin with gear swaps and pots, but effectively you need a melee tank with lifetap =)

3. DamienDCLXVI

Yeah, I might concider trading the SoJ for a ber. I just wanna make sure I have GREAT armor before I go selling equip to buy the runes. I did sell my old perfect hoto for the Jah I have now. If 15% ED 3 sock archon plate goes for um-mal I would probably trade for it. Til then we will see.
    If I ditch my shield I think I will be a little light on the FCR, which is helpful for reaching the last breakpoint and increasing DPS.
    I thew on some waterwalks I found today, the life is kinda nice and max fire res puts me at 80.

My friend is an IK barb so his job is going to be to give us a good BO, lure D and Baal away from Meph and start tanking with concentrate. while i wipe em out. We will see how this works in practice.

4. SeCKSEgai

Don't bother. Not with an IK barb. You'll just be wasting the keysets. It might be fun to die alot if you don't care, but that's all i would see in your future for the both of you.

IK barb = too slow,both maul and concentrate
    no lifetap = quick death

I would have kept the hoto, a perfect roll should be worth more than a jah, even this ladder and its painful lack of hrs.

75 fcr bp is fine, believe me. Not as nice as 125, but ask pallis if he uses a hoz or spirit for a main shield, you'll get the hint ;)

My first run into Uberland was with a pure trap, so i know what its like to go in unprepared. Did well over 100+ runs with my kicker ;) Too bad I no longer have all the worthless little flag charms to prove it, shoulda screened it, ah well.

5. DamienDCLXVI

Well personally I don't give a crap if HE dies, I'll spawn each monster in a 1 player game then have him join to BO. As far as I know they wont increase HP unless they spawn with 2 players in the game at the time.

6. SeCKSEgai

That right there tells me you're going to die once your pots run out, if not sooner.

1. You're assuming its going to be significantly easier as a 1person spawn.
    2. If he dies, you're next, so you should care.
    3. He will die regardless if you care because he's an ik barb.
    4. If you want to experience it just for the experience go for it, just be prepared to not be able to complete it, at least not with outside help.

7. DamienDCLXVI

Well what compliment do you recomend?

8. SeCKSEgai

I've heard of hdins doing a gear swap and using their 1 point smite - you could actually try that and in that case your friend would actually be pure support as you would be tanking and doing the main damage.

But you'll be needing to change the majority of your gear, and thats not including helpful charms, though if smiting they aren't nearly as important as for other builds. If neither of you have a CTA, then his BO will become extremely useful - and hopefully he can help keep minions off you while you get dirty.

9. Frostadin

Frostadin IncGamers Member

Last ladder once I built some wealth I used to solo the Ubers with my pure Hammerdin. With a simple gear switch Uber Trist became a breeze. There are many ways, but this is how I geared up for UT:

Weapon/Shield #1 - Wizardspike/Spirit Shield
    Weapon/Shield #2 - Last Wish/Exile
    Helm: Kira's with 15 IAS jewel (Shako/Circlet when not Ubering)
    Body: Enigma
    Gloves: Dracul's Grasp (Chance Guards when not Ubering)
    Boots: Gore Riders (War Travelers when not Ubering)
    Belt: T-God's Vigor (Goldwrap when not Ubering)
    Rings: Dwarfstar, Ravenfrost (MF/Rares when not Ubering)
    Ammy: Cat's Eye (Mara/Rare when not Ubering)
    Unique Charms: Torch and Anni
    Charms: Resist all charms to get to 75 resists after Meph's conviction

The keys are overstacking resists, fastest smite possible, and sources of crushing blow, open wounds, and survivability.

Smite - I had 1 point in it as a pre-req for Holy Shield, that's all that's needed. To hit the fastest Smite breakpoint you need 65 IAS when using a phaseblade. I got 15 from the helm, 20 from the amulet, and used the Fanticism aura (need level 10 after +skills) to get the final 30. This gives a 6 frame smite which is needed not really for killing speed, but for healing. The faster you smite the faster lifetap casts and refills your bulb. You don't have to hit 6 frames to Uber, but it makes it easier.

Crushing Blow & Open Wounds. Without open wounds you're not going to get far. The Ubers regenerate way faster than you can damage them, so without stopping that regen you're wasting time. Crushing Blow isn't needed, but speeds the process up, anything that makes the torch run take less time is a good thing. Last Wish (60% - 70% CB), Dracul's (25% OW), and Gore Riders (15% CB, 10% OW) take care of this.

Survivability
    Healing - You have to have lifetap. Period. Exile provides a 15% chance to cast lifetap and Dracul's provides 5%. That 20% means within your first 5 smites you *should* get lifetap cast. After than it's a cakewalk. You don't really need both Dracul's and Exile to Uber, however having both reduces the time that you don't have lifetap, which is your most vulnerable time. Clearing UT with only Dracul's 5% chance to cast lifetap is not un-doable, just prepare for some hectic time spent mashing the full rejuv buttons until the curse finally kicks in.

Defense - Last Wish gets you 6% Chance To Cast Level 11 Fade When Struck. Fade is extremely valuable and provides 56% resist all and 11% phyical resists. You don't have to have it, but it sure makes it easier. Exile gets you Level 13-16 Defiance aura when equipped. Defense is not really an issue in UT, but since it's a freebie on the already awesome Exile it's nice to have.

Basically my strategy was:

Weapon/Shield #1 - Wizardspike/Spirit Shield (Blessed Hammer/Teleport)
    Weapon/Shield #2 - Last Wish/Exile (Smite/Fanaticism)

1. Kill merc. Create portal to UT.
    2. WS #2 and go into UT and stand in fire to trigger Fade.
    3. Switch to WS #1 then teleport to top, then far left, then halfway down. Walk to the right to spawn Meph.
    4. When Meph spawns teleport to the left and lay down a hammer field to thin out the approaching minions until Meph gets closer.
    5. Once Meph is far enough out that you won't activate Diablo/Baal, teleport directly onto Meph and switch to WS #2.
    6. Smite until dead. Switch to WS #1 and teleport around to hammer his remaining minions.
    7. Repeat steps 3-6 for Diablo.
    8. Repeat steps 3-6 for Baal.
    9. Mule off torch.

Pretty simple and extremely effective. I toyed around with Call To Arms in the second slot to bump up my vitality but honestly I feel it was not needed. If you don't have the gear here just work with what you can get your hands on. Open Wounds and Lifetap are really the only mandatory things, and you can cover those pretty cheap with just Dracul's Grasp and Gore Riders. Other than that work on resists, smite speed, and crushing blow.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  10. DamienDCLXVI

@Frostadin I enjoyed your post. I'm working on getting the cheaper version of that gear now. I think ill keep a lifetap wand in my inventory to cast before i start the smite, to reduce the vulnerable period you mentioned. I'm working on getting some dracs now and I figure goblin toes will drop before gores (if I can get a pair for a pul I may just trade though) last wish is too high for me but I'll just get some CB weapon (crushflange or maybe a black flail). Pre buffing fade with some tretchery armor sounds better than switching to a shield I cant afford as well. But overall I'd say your suggestions gave me a solid baseline to shoot for.

11. DamienDCLXVI

Again, Frostadin you really helped me out. For 2 puls I put together gear that beat the ubers. I had to respec to get fanat and adjust stats but no big deal. Now I have a zon torch...

12. Frostadin

Frostadin IncGamers Member

Damien that is great to hear, thanks for the update. I'm glad I was able to help and and am thrilled that you were successful. It's a major rush the first time you solo it eh?

13. DamienDCLXVI

No kidding, if the keys were a little easier to get I would be doing it again already. I need to look into trading for that Ber and some 3 sock ED armor.