Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Finding the right number of sockets...

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by LtDrebin, Mar 26, 2005.

1. LtDrebin

LtDrebin IncGamers Member

Finding the right number of sockets...

...is IMPOSSIBLE!

Specifically, I am trying to find a 4 socketed polearm (exceptional/elite is preferred) to use for Insight on a merc. I have some high lvl chars and I take them to nightmare in the tombs (lots of monsters) to kill quickly. However, socketed items are rare drops and I'm beginning to think getting a 4 socketed polearm is like finding a Zod rune...

Are there certain places where sockets drop more often than others?

I am hesitant to use the horadric cube socketing recipe as I treasure all of my runes, even my el's...

2. marshaldwm2

marshaldwm2 IncGamers Member

Well, Ive always found cows to be the best for socketed items. as they can rop every basic item. Plus you get a good amount of gemsand runes to socket everything with ease.

It is not impossible, but if you just wiat for one to drop you will probably wait a long time. The cube recepie, Amn, Ral and pAmmthyst, is not that expensive, really. If you lack the runes, do 20 or so countess runs and you will find what you need.

3. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

takes some time to read the rules before posting...putting the same thread in several forums is considered spam

4. ArchAngel Tiberrius

ArchAngel Tiberrius Banned

Remove your Magic Find gear as it reduces the likelihood of normal 'white' items.

Run in killing gear with 0% MF and you will find more socketable items appearing.

5. fahartle

fahartle IncGamers Member

Question: I hear there is a trick where you can repair a "cracked" elite armor and then use the larzuk socket quest to get only three sockets. Anyone know if the same might be true with polearms to get four sockets?

6. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

i believe that most elite polearms will only get 3 sockets at ilvl 1

7. ladydraxis

ladydraxis IncGamers Member

If you want to find an elite polearm with 4 sockets, you're going to want to spend your time searching for it in Hell, not Nightmare. You'll want to use a character that does not have much MF, in fact NO MF is best. I have personally found a lot of socketed elites in the River of Flame, and I'd recommend that you try there, if your character can handle the area.

8. Jemme

Jemme IncGamers Member

I have an Avenger (Paladin) build running games with my friends. He has allmost no MF and he gets a socketetable anything on each run. I have allready 6 mules full of sockets, like Monarchs, Phase Blades, and even a Matriarchal Spear +2 Amazone Skills with 6 sockets for a BotD on my Poizon :)
    I guess having no MF or very little helps to find stuff like that.

9. Elgar

Elgar IncGamers Member

nightmare cows will work too. This is what i recomend as its high enough to get the 4 sockets, yet easier than hell and has a high monster density. As above 0 MF is best

10. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

As ladydraxis hinted, you're better off in hell if you're looking for an elite item. If exceptional is ok, then nm cows sounds like a good idea.

11. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Socket to me

I concur with this assessment (found a 5-socket Ogre Maul three days ago in the River of Flame...managed to make the Doom runeword and that's improved my wereDruid's damage considerably). I also managed to get three sockets on a Wyrmhide armor using the cube recipe and was lucky enough to scrape together the runes to make Enigma (this has REALLY helped my merc...now he can hold Bonehew without wasting a Hel rune on it).

12. Emerald Dragon

Emerald Dragon IncGamers Member

Look for elites in the pit in hell. It also gives good exp. If your looking for crafting items (rings, ammy, gloves) also go to the pit.

The pit drops elite items very frequently. So frequently, that I began to take notice.

The pit is everything you could want in a mf spot. All hail the pit.......