Finding the Inner Voice of Reason - Some Thoughts on a Conviction Zealot

gbones

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Finding the Inner Voice of Reason - Some Thoughts on a Conviction Zealot

Well My char has withstood the test of time on hardcore up to the lofty level of 89.

I posted my skill set and items but it's buried and a link. In the end ive got

20 conviction
20 res light
20 holyshield
20 fanat
5 hit zeal , 1 salvation
2 in sacrifice (1 more then I need)

Helm Dream
Primary SHield: Dream , Swap HOZ
Wep: Primary VOR , swap grief
Armor: COH /Duress
boots :Goblin toes double up'd
Gloves: Dracs
Belt: Tgods
Ammy: Metalgrid primary , Cateye swap

Lavagouts in stash

Merc Vor Barb (generally) , Faith Fire Arrow (when I want the ias)

The items in use can vary a bit, but I don't think you can skill better then this. Having access to pull powered elemental and physical switch keep things very flexible.
Thats awesome! Seeing this build in hardcore at 89 with those pretty affordable items pushed me over the fence to go and make this build. I assume your switch to HoZ/grief is for smiting bosses only?

I can't afford the faith merc, so I had figured the act V merc with VoR would be the best. What weapon did you make the merc's VoR in? And what items does he use?

Also, has anyone tried an act 3 cold merc with fast cast stuff with a VoR based conviction paladin?

*edit* Not enough people addressing the low leech of this build...how do you keep the red orb full on hell with such puny physical damage?

Last edited:

Master Zap

Diabloii.Net Member

Thats awesome! Seeing this build in hardcore at 89 with those pretty affordable items pushed me over the fence to go and make this build. I assume your switch to HoZ/grief is for smiting bosses only?

I can't afford the faith merc, so I had figured the act V merc with VoR would be the best. What weapon did you make the merc's VoR in? And what items does he use?

Also, has anyone tried an act 3 cold merc with fast cast stuff with a VoR based conviction paladin?

I assume your switch to HoZ/grief is for smiting bosses only? = Pretty much. I also use it on cold immunes I cant break.

Merc - Act 5 barb. Vor. well the best is a eth 2hander. Whatever you come across first. It's not to important what base you use. If you get some damage on it, then he can live better with leach.

Arreat helms /vampgze/crown of thieves/Andy's helm/Tal's mask. See a theme? Insert life leach here.

armor = Only treachery can do here. Seriously? anything that can be compared (not that it really does) to this will cost alot more. Let's spell it out again.

45ias , 60 all res 90 cold res , fhr , 15 venom. 15% damage reduction. Made from a Lem rune. = I'm so good I should cost multiple hr's to make!

Act 3 mercs even with a conviction pally are pathetic in damage. The freeze one is sorta useful when it stops stuff from moving but it wont kill very much. The act 5 vor barb does more damage and gives the freeze (ice blast/ frozen orb), tanks and is pretty much better in every way. He also does decent physical damage on the eth VOR sword so if it's immune to cold , he still doesn't suck.

Act 1 Rogue with a harmony is pretty nice. You get added elemental damage , some light crowd control when the merc uses her ice arrow. The Vigor rocks. Using Goblin toes is slow going unless you have this vigor or charge for you movement mostly.

dealing with damage?

if you go the pdr route you just plain take near to no damage so it's not a problem. The damage route? , I usualy flash redemption after a battle should I need life. Using dracs gloves means life tap is normally on any good sized pack.

Your physical damage doesnt suck. Press "W" your now a grief/fanat smiter with around 5K damage. 1 smite should be enough to fill your bulb. At this point you can hit "W" again to go back to your Vor /conviction side or you can stay on your fanat side.

Damage is controlled pretty well. With the high defense monsters end up with something like 15% ish chance to hit you. Then it's blocked 75% of the time.

TcQuester

Diabloii.Net Member

Master Zap,

I know you're a big proponent of PDR gear, and this seems like a pretty ideal build to use PDR gear on since you're not really sacrificing much in the way of killing power-- the build basically relies on 1 weapon slot and your conviction aura for damage. What gear would you recommend using on a VoR paladin who focuses on PDR? Sol'd Griswold armor, helm, shield, or some other combination? Also, what do you think would be a solid trade-off between offensive / defensive, for a poor player?

Master Zap

Diabloii.Net Member

Master Zap,

I know you're a big proponent of PDR gear, and this seems like a pretty ideal build to use PDR gear on since you're not really sacrificing much in the way of killing power-- the build basically relies on 1 weapon slot and your conviction aura for damage. What gear would you recommend using on a VoR paladin who focuses on PDR? Sol'd Griswold armor, helm, shield, or some other combination? Also, what do you think would be a solid trade-off between offensive / defensive, for a poor player?

Gris set is quite solid , but the set cannot be complete if you intend to use vor (at least as a primary wep over the gris caddy). Because of this I think there is some better options. On the cheap however it's pretty hard to beat.

If your trying to make a pdr gris pally, I'd suggest going with another build more suited for it like Holyshock/freeze/FOH instead of Vor which is also a fun play.

Some common Pdr stuff

Circ of life everlasting anything with 20+ pdr and 2-3 holes is about as good as it gets. Could also go with 30's helm with sol's and the best 2nd mod you can shop.

Gris shield with sol's is very nice, the str is a little high though on this. A pally class specific with 4 holes and 30+ res will also work. Could pair with the helm for 20 str set bonus, but the helm is a bit low with only 14pdr.

IronPelt = Gbane at level 33. A great armor if you get one with a higher end PDR

Ammy of life everlasting. best you can get. I have a 25 ,18 and +1 pally skills 22pdr , all in play right now.

Sol'd Vampgze. Duel leach goodness , up to 20%dr and high mdr. It's green!

*Nature's peace ring /dwarf star
*string of ears

pair with a lawbringer Barb merc or a Reapers Act 2 guy. Aim for 80-120 pdr

gbones

Diabloii.Net Member

Such a fun build (lvl 75). I'm like a CTC machine...

VOR phase blade = orb/ice blast
lavagouts = enchant
treachery = venom/fade
carrion wind = poison nova/twister
tiamat's rebuke = hydra/nova/frost nova

And I can't believe how good treachery is for this build. I made a duress
first cause at first glance it appears far superior, but having max fpa
zeal without fana and the resists/damage reduction from fade really can't
be topped for so cheap :) However with def merc, I got from 12k def to 7k
with treachery.

I really enjoy how cheaply this build can be fully completed.

Using:

VOR phase blade
Treachery sup wyrmhide
Lavagouts
Goblin Toe
Nos Coil
Tiamat's Rebuke (pdiamond)
Tal's Mask (for leech)

Carrion Wind
Dwarf Star
Highlords

The only bits I thing I might have to swap around:

The tiamat's rebuke for maybe my sol,sol,pdiamond headhunters or an HoZ
if I can get one (+skills eh).

Tal's mask for something more useful but I still need life leech...green head?

I still might have to swap out highlords and the dwarf star, but for what?
Maybe a maras and a BK? I don't need resists...

Oddly the most expensive item for the build is the merc's rift...
I need to get a Gul still. The idea of an act V merc with VoR is appealing,
but I really do like the hugely stacked defense.

I think carrion wind should find its way into this build 'officially'
Its got 7% life leech and a good proc rate of twister which stuns...very useful!

--

Skill question:

20 holy shield
20 conviction
1 vigor
1 salvation
2 zeal (with +skills that gets me 5 hit zeal)
and 1 prereqs for that stuff

I've put this guy together perfectly. No wasted stats...Charms used, etc.
So I don't want to experiment with him.

I have a pure fana/zeal/1pt smiter for ubers already.

Where do you guys find it useful to put the remainind 40+ skill
points I'll have by 90? I'm sitting on 23 right now with no hell quests
done...

Kossuths Will

Diabloii.Net Member

I have a lvl 71 conv pally right now with VoR, its goin ok. Killing speed is pretty slow sometimes, even in 1 player games. I may do a rebuild, as I went foh and h shock, since foh works well with conv. I also figured it would be good dealing with monsters that have high cold resist. What I forgot is how just 3 or so foh will clean out your mana orb. I did however come up with a cheap option for resolving the low dmg=no leech issue. Shopped a kris with 97 charges of lvl 5 life tap to use on wpn switch. I think with the rebuild, I might max holy shield instead and go with a defiance merc. The foh seemed like a good idea and maxing its synergy, but its just too mana intensive.

Shejken

Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, i've done some reading in this Subject now. And I'm gonna build myself one and try it out.

I have some thoughts on the helm spot. I have 2 chances of getting a good Dream Helm roll. If that doesn't work out how about a Nightwings Veil on my head. The cold damage boost should do some good to me I recon.

Other than that I'm gonna go full out crazy Zealing madness.. I hope:)

//Its time to deliver!