Finding the Inner Voice of Reason - Some Thoughts on a Conviction Zealot

chien

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Finding the Inner Voice of Reason - Some Thoughts on a Conviction Zealot

It should work. However, in general, you will lost the dream shield if you plan to use dream helm as well. Dragon costs 2 HRs and you can make 2 dreams if using 2 HRs. And, you will need to max light and fire resist to make them work. I would still suggest to use dual dreams (helm+shield).

My 2 cents.

Chien

clsi

Banned

Agreed with Chien. More damage to be had with holy shock then the holy fire.

Anyway going back to what I wrote a few months back, I finally gave zealing Lilith a whirl without smite/grief/lifetap or any of that cookie cutter goodness.

I can definitely see how ubertrist is not viable with just conviction and zealing, haha. I did not die but I had to use a few full juvs while tanking Lily's big hits. Still didn't take long, dropped her down in like a min or two.

maiku

Diabloii.Net Member

For her, like with any Zealot or Smiter build, smack down with Smite...even if you want to Zeal. Seems to make life much better. :wink3:

chien

Diabloii.Net Member

Smite will be easier as it always hit :) and it only hit one target. Zeal is harder if there is something else around. CB works faster for monsters with very high life. Lilith has about 660k life. One success CB will take out 1/8 of it (82.5K). That is a lot :) However, if combine CB and elemental damage, i think you should kill even faster :) But, I still don't recommend to use zeal in ubertrist since there will so many minions around.

Chien

clsi

Banned

Well when I confronted her there were none of her succabi bezzles nearby so I didn't worry about my zeal having "divested" interests. Anyway reason why I prefered to zeal is to take advantage of my lightning dam from the dual dream setup. I don't think I was missing that much anyway.

safetypro

Diabloii.Net Member

This build looks really interesting. I'm going to try it with a Crushing Blow setup:
Gores, Guill's and Duress
Anyone have any experience with this gear?

clsi

Banned

If you go through the full 11 pages [interesting read]. Many of us have some amount of CB somewhere. I used to use Guilliume's before I went with the dream setup. Currently I use Goblin toe and 20ias/10 CB gloves to have 35 CB.

Anyway, imo adding CB is highly recommended if not a must for increasing kill speed. Go for it and play around with your equip!

maiku

Diabloii.Net Member

This build looks really interesting. I'm going to try it with a Crushing Blow setup:
Gores, Guill's and Duress
Anyone have any experience with this gear?
I think would work really well, personally. When I originally started playing with this pally, I wasn't so sold on Crushing Blow (because I didn't understand how it worked fully)...but in the time since then, like others, I feel it's an important part of the build. Those items will give you a good amount of CB. "Duress" has basically everything going for it on this build.

safetypro

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks very much. Congrats on a great build idea. I'll let you know how it works out.

maiku

Diabloii.Net Member

Also I need to make a plug for Master Zap's suggestion of a "VoR" Barb Merc ("Voice of Reason" in an ethereal or normal Balrog Blade) or "Rift" Act 2 Merc (Thresher for speed, IMO). Double the Frozen Orb fun.

chien

Diabloii.Net Member

Crushing blow (CB) works the best with high life baddies. For example, Hell Big D has life 113812 (114k). Let's forget about the physical resist (45%). One successful CB will remove 1/8 of the life (~14.25K). Of course, the effectiveness will decrease when the life of the monsters decrease. It even works wonderfully when you have little physical damage.

Chien

Master Zap

Diabloii.Net Member

One great thing about the Vor pally is it's easy to make at what most would consider "cheap". It gets really powerful as you get better stuff. Its a build you can grow with.

When I started this build, I used Voice of reason (pretty easy to make,no hr's) the rest of my things were self found and cost at most a few pgems per part. I started with a very high cb setup , Gface, goblintoes, duress and this did very well. As I aquired better things I added Dreams to use with vor. On switch I maxed fanat , used grief and hoz and can stand par with any smiter. Basically this build can both deal massive physical and massive elemental damages. No immunes to worry about and very uber capable.

Ive set it before here, but this build rocks!

safetypro

Diabloii.Net Member

Interesting skill choices. I have a dedicated uber zealot/smiter so I thought with this build, I'd max Zeal, Conviction, Holy Shield and Defiance. Place single points in prereq's and spare points into Sacrifice when others are maxed.
It's early so other than Zeal, I haven't spent many points. I am open to discussion on which skills others feel is the best way to go.

Davidus

Diabloii.Net Member

im building a VoR right now:)
VoR PB
Dream helm+shield(dont have them yet-.-)
Cat's eye
Treachery AP
Nosferatu
Dracul's
Carrion+Raven

Can't wait to ry this out^^

Master Zap

Diabloii.Net Member

Interesting skill choices. I have a dedicated uber zealot/smiter so I thought with this build, I'd max Zeal, Conviction, Holy Shield and Defiance. Place single points in prereq's and spare points into Sacrifice when others are maxed.
It's early so other than Zeal, I haven't spent many points. I am open to discussion on which skills others feel is the best way to go.

Well My char has withstood the test of time on hardcore up to the lofty level of 89.

I posted my skill set and items but it's buried and a link. In the end ive got

20 conviction
20 res light
20 holyshield
20 fanat
5 hit zeal , 1 salvation
2 in sacrifice (1 more then I need)

Helm Dream
Primary SHield: Dream , Swap HOZ
Wep: Primary VOR , swap grief
Armor: COH /Duress
boots :Goblin toes double up'd
Gloves: Dracs
Belt: Tgods
Ammy: Metalgrid primary , Cateye swap

Lavagouts in stash

Merc Vor Barb (generally) , Faith Fire Arrow (when I want the ias)

The items in use can vary a bit, but I don't think you can skill better then this. Having access to pull powered elemental and physical switch keep things very flexible.

King Fingolfin

Diabloii.Net Member

Hi, im from argentina (sorry about my english)
ive just read all the thread last mounth and i love it
Right now im using:
VoR
Guillaume (15ias)
HOZ (15ias)
Treachery
T-god
Dracs (switching if needed, using it for LT only)
Goblin/Gore (usually using gore for speed)
Metalgrid (could be other ammy maybe a rare one)
Raven frost (always even with the vor)
Rare ring 12 str 10 dex 10 cr 10 fr 35 lr 10 pr
Total 75 ias ---> want to keep this

My cuestion is, i cant afford to have any dream even when i know is the better choice, wich of these you think are the Tier 1.5 like ssog said:
1.Guillaume + 4os shield (soled)
2.Guillaume + HOZ (what im using right now)
3.Griswold (pretty close to the str req, i would have 5 os to put sol or jewelry)
4.COA + exile (expensive)
The options are huge, but im suprise that none of you guys name the griswold way (adds +2 to offensive, +50 all resist, nice cold absorb and over all of this 5os!!)
Every sugestion is welcome thanks folks!

Soulreapers

Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry to bump up an old topic but....

I'm thinking of starting a conviction zealot on ladder SC, and all the advice I've gotten so far has pointed to Gimmershred as the best weapon for this char, despite the short range. The massive ele damage seems to make up for it. For those who don't know the ele stats on Gimmer:

Adds 218-483 Fire Damage
Adds 29-501 Lightning Damage
Adds 176-397 Cold Damage, 4 sec. Duration (Normal)

Will this work? Pros/cons? Seems to me the only thing its missing mainly is % to demons or undead, and since the focus of this build is on elemental damage that wouldn't matter so much? Also nothing immune to gimmer elemental damage :)

edit: this is a cheap mans option

Last edited:

Xdeathfire

Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry to bump up an old topic but....

I'm thinking of starting a conviction zealot on ladder SC, and all the advice I've gotten so far has pointed to Gimmershred as the best weapon for this char, despite the short range. The massive ele damage seems to make up for it. For those who don't know the ele stats on Gimmer:

Adds 218-483 Fire Damage
Adds 29-501 Lightning Damage
Adds 176-397 Cold Damage, 4 sec. Duration (Normal)

Will this work? Pros/cons? Seems to me the only thing its missing mainly is % to demons or undead, and since the focus of this build is on elemental damage that wouldn't matter so much? Also nothing immune to gimmer elemental damage :)

edit: this is a cheap mans option
Pros:

Very cheap
1.5k ele damage
Diverse Damage
Can throw against OKs

Cons:

1 range means that you have to get really close
60 off weapon ias to get 5 frames (doable)
Low crowd control

behling

Diabloii.Net Member

i too personally have been giving it some thought of building at conviction/zealot.

my main question is. how does a convict/zealot differ from a convict/vengence paladin? i dont have a VOR phase blade but i'll be using a azurewarth, guess the cold dmg will do those mobs some gd dmg.

also, i have 3 gloves, dracus, soul weaken and lavagout. i was wonder if i max out conviction, will soul's weaken do any gd since their defense is already down?. or shl di use lavgout?.

thinking about shael-ing the azurwarth to hit 4frames.

noodleOrb

Diabloii.Net Member

Well Just thought I'd say what a nice build this is. I currently have a lvl 90 using this build (Europe Ladder called vordin).

Went for a cb dr style build
maxed conviction
maxed holy shield
maxed zeal
maxed defiance
remaining points sacrifice.

this allows we to keep a nice leech going and once dracs trigger Im pretty un killable.
current equipment-
Guilemes face um'd
upd um'd shafstop
up'd pdia tiatmets rebuke takes care of any unbreakable immunes
highlords wrath lets me reach the next zeal bp
vor phasebalde
Gored
15 dr string of ears
res rings till I get bk rings
dracs for gloves

My merc has a eth vor balrog blade
eth treachery armour
and arreats face

Together orbs are shooting off every direction all the time.
Together we are invincible :)

Still need to get a pala torch + anni to hit lvl 25 conviction and some grand charms of storms for more damage.

build rocks