Finding the Inner Voice of Reason - Some Thoughts on a Conviction Zealot

maiku

Diabloii.Net Member
Finding the Inner Voice of Reason - Some Thoughts on a Conviction Zealot

I posted a thread a while back asking for criticism and thoughts on a Conviction-based Zealot. After reaching level 73 in record time, I think I have drawn some conclusions about an Elemental Conviction Zealot, the incredible flexibility and fun that a Conviction Zealot build offers, and perhaps hope to provide some encouragement to others who like to play uncommon Paladin builds such as Avengers, Holy Shock Zealots/Tesladins, or Holy Freeze Zealots/Freezalots. Also, I hope that it encourages other poorer players to realize they can make hell-viable builds for pennies, kill like a pro, and make themselves filthy rich and popular at the same time.

This particular Conviction build relies on one key piece of equipment: Voice of Reason. I'll explain the reason for that in a moment. :grin:

Introduction

Many acolytes of Zakarum journey to the far East, where they arrive wearied by long voyages and greeted by the mosquito-infested bogs and overgrown, suffocating jungles of Kurast, have no idea of the trials that yet await them. Many, feeling their minds refreshed by their studies and encounters with magic, pursue the path of holy hammers, becoming summoners of swirling, whirling death. Some feel their inner fires and minds burn with zeal and fanaticism, impressing others with their credo, and seeking to strike down evil with a quick and judgmental blade. A blessed few, who though wearied by long hours of study, weapons practice, and meditation upon their actions, have kindled a spark in their hearts which burns with all the elements: fire, ice, and lightning. This fuels a quiet zeal, which becomes a conviction of the utmost truth and reason. These acolytes live like the harshest ascetics, disciplining their bodies and minds through rigorous fasting and living among the elements. Their bodies are burnt dark by the sun, chilled blue by lonely nights in the wintery mountains, and battered white by storms in the open. Wearing nothing but rags, possessing nothing but what they carry, these Zealots have found their inner Voice of Reason, bolstered by an unshakeable Conviction and Zeal gained through years of rigorous discipline, experience, and insight--a powerful combination that inspires fear and dread in all who oppose them.

That, in a not-so-nutshell, is an Elemental Conviction Zealot. The core of this build is similar to any other any Conviction Zealot build as mentioned in guides here except that it relies on the fabulous and often overlooked rune word: Voice of Reason (VoR).

Voice of Reason
4 Socket Swords/Maces
Lem + Ko + El + Eld

15% Chance To Cast Level 13 Frozen Orb On Striking
18% Chance To Cast Level 20 Ice Blast On Striking
+50 To Attack Rating
+220-350% Damage To Demons
+355-375% Damage To Undead (varies)
+50 To Attack Rating Against Undead
Adds 100-220 Cold Damage
-24% To Enemy Cold Resistance
+10 To Dexterity
Cannot Be Frozen
75% Extra Gold From Monsters
+1 To Light Radius

These are sexy stats for relatively easy to find or obtain runes. Lem and Ko can be gotten off of normal and nightmare forges (or found in many common areas) or a hell one if you are unlucky. Els, Elds, and other lower runes drop in such great abundance that most people never bother to pick them up or view them as a nuisance. I actually had to take a character into normal and nightmare to do a little rune hunting because I had cubed or thrown most of my Els and Elds.

The important stats on Voice of Reason are the Level 13 Frozen Orb, Level 20 Ice Blast, large damage bonuses to demons and undead, and -24% to Enemy Cold Resistance. For anyone who ever made a Frozen Orb Sorceress in classic D2 or has one now for rushing or experimentation, you will know that Frozen Orb deals much more damage than its listed damage. The damage listed for the spell is the damage caused by each shard, and a Frozen Orb travels across the screen, sending shards whirling into every direction. Level 13 Frozen Orb causes 170-175 cold damage and has a 20 second cold slow time. Now think about doubling that cold damage with your Conviction to 340-360 damage per shard. And these shards are hitting enemies all across the screen. Ice Blast at level 20 does 273-287 cold damage. Double this. Unlike Frozen Orb, Ice Blast has a wonderful feature which is even better than slowing enemies through cold: total, solid freeze. At level 20, it freezes for 6.8 seconds, which is cut to a quarter length in hell difficulty. It doesn't matter. Frozen enemies don't hit you, they don't hurt you, they don't flee, and they beg to be shattered into little ice cubes. Tired of skeleton minions? Ice Blast them. Tired of enemies fleeing or beating on you without remorse? Slow them. Freeze them. These two spells cast on striking will be your saviour with Voice of Reason. The -24% to Enemy Cold Resistance just makes these all the more deadly and hard to resist. The substantial damage bonuses to demons and undead are also icing on the cake. So many enemies in the game are demons and undead, and they are all fodder for your blade. The Cannot Be Frozen mod frees up your other ring slots for choices other than a Ravenfrost or two.

You might also notice that Voice of Reason has almost *no* enhanced damage for physical damage. Do not despair. This will not be a problem, as this particular build makes physical damage, elemental immunities, and other obstacles irrelevant. As many players know, physical damage resistances (global physical damage resistance in particular and physical immunities) and elemental immunities pose serious challenges to many characters and builds who are heavily reliant on one form of damage. I have a Tesladin who does about ~5,300 damage with Baranar's Star and maxed Holy Shock and Resist Lightning, yet he kills much slower than my measily 987 listed damage on my VoR Conviction Zealot.

To understand why this is, it requires some digging into the mechanics behind Conviction and how Voice of Reason works--its strengths and weaknesses. If you are an old-hand with Conviction Zealots or Avengers, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. I have played and loved Avengers for a while now, so it has started to feel like second nature to talk about Conviction.

For a good understanding of Conviction, I suggest reading Asmodeus's excellent 1.11 Avenger guide stickied at the top of this forum. It has a detailed explanation of how the level 30 aura Conviction works. The general gist of it, though, is that Conviction lowers enemy defense *and* resistances substantially. At level 25, you can lower enemy defense by 90% and enemy resists by 150%. Say hello to a world of pain. Level 25 is a good level for Conviction, so plan for it ahead of time with your equipment and +skills items or max Conviction and customize your gear. You'll still be doing a large amount of damage with Conviction.

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=517192

Why use maxed Conviction?

1. -90% enemy defense, as one fellow forumite explained to me, is like multiplying your AR by 10. If you have 2K AR, -90% enemy defense makes it work like 20K. Does that sound overpowered? Yes, I think it does. Non-Fanaticism Zealot builds can suffer from AR problems, like Tesladins and Freezalots. I have experienced this on my Tesladin, although it's not too bad. With Conviction, just basically forget about your AR. You won't need much to hit a lot. Small boosts to your AR from charms, rings, amulets, etc. make large contributions to chance to hit. Like I said, forget about it.

2. -150% enemy resists to elemental damage. Wow. In many cases, probably most cases, you will be doing double elemental damage to enemies by lowering their resists to the max of -100. For those few enemies with high elemental resists or immunities, you have a chance of breaking their immunities and still damaging them. However, if you vary your gear and stack up a few elemental damage charms, almost *nothing* in the game will be resistant or immune to you. Remember Conviction affects all elemental damage you do, including those from other equipment and charms.

3. Conviction is a fabulous aura to use with parties, doing runs, or Baaling. It'll make you the Paladin of the year. :thumbsup: I've done normal and nightmare cow runs with a friend who has a Frostmaiden (an Amazon who uses Frozen Arrow). Packs of cows explode from one arrow when Conviction is on. The entire map can be cleared in 3-5 minutes. Lister and his crew crisp into charcoal when you're standing next to them and a Fire Sorceress rains Meteor and Fireball on them. You can break many cold immune monsters for Cold Sorceresses or lightning immunes for Nova Sorceresses to help them run Chaos Sanctuary faster to get revenge on Diablo for all those deaths caused by Iron Maiden. This is your time to shine. But you are not their lackey for the sake of making them more effective. Conviction will make you infinitely more effective.

The premise behind an Avenger build is to find a hard-hitting weapon, couple it with maxed Vengeance or its synergies, leave Conviction running, and to hit really, really hard. Vengeance can produce insane damage numbers, with most of that extra elemental damage being unresistable, and it's not uncommon to kill enemies or lesser bosses in one hit if you have a powerful weapon and a synergized build. The Elemental Conviction Zealot, especially using Voice of Reason, uses a different sort of logic. In my opinion, it's better to put Voice of Reason in a very fast weapon as opposed to a physically damaging weapon. Weapon speed is all that matters, because you will want to deal out as much elemental damage as quick as possible and to "proc" VoR's special effects. And the best weapon for a 5 or 4 frames per second (fps) Zeal, IMO, is a phase blade. Voice of Reason can be made in a 4-socketed phase blade, and these can be found, rolled and created using a Horadric Cube recipe and a phase blade and some runes, or traded for much more cheaply than a 3-socketed or 5-socketed phase blade can. In other words, you may not need to get a 3-socketed phase blade for a Crescent Moon or a 5-socketed one for Grief, if these are too hard to find or too expensive to trade for. These go for cheap on the trade forums or perhaps a kind friend, without much idea as to what to do with a 4-socketed phase blade, will give one to you.

Why so fast? Why a phase blade? Phase blades come with -30 base weapon speed, and if one looks at a chart of weapon speed, IAS, and breakpoints for a phase blade, we see the following (using diabloii.net's link to the weapon speed calculator):

0% IAS = 6 fps = 4.1 attacks per second
13% IAS = 5 fps = 5 attacks per second
72% IAS = 4 fps = 6.2 attacks per second

These may sound confusing, but what is important to keep in mind is that it's almost impossible not to reach a 5 fps or 4 fps Zeal and with a phase blade you do not need Fanaticism to reach that last breakpoint. 4 fps is the fastest you can go. Traditional Zealots using Zeal and Fanaticism can hit 4 fps Zeal relatively easily, because maxed Fanaticism, as I've been told, is equivalent to 30% IAS. A substantial boost. A Conviction Zealot, however, does not need this. 5 fps Zeal is plenty for mayhem. 4 fps Zeal will make you a god. 5 fps Zeal can be obtained by putting on 20% IAS gloves or an 15% IAS jewel somewhere in your gear. 4 fps Zeal can be obtained by wearing IAS gloves, Highlord's Amulet, and 45% IAS gear or several IAS jewels socketed somewhere to make up for a Highlord's Amulet if you don't have one. You should pick which breakpoint is better for you and your gear setup.

What is important is that you reach a 5 fps Zeal or better and to cover the screen in Frozen Orbs and chilled or dying enemies. With a fast Zeal, nothing can stand against you or live long. Frozen Orbs, Ice Blasts, and additional elemental damage from equipment and charms should destroy enemies in seconds. This is the power of Voice of Reason combined with fast Zeal, procing these special effects so effectively with such carnage.

I thought about equipment setups and Zeal breakpoints quite a bit the last few days as I was leveling my Zealot and customizing my gear, to try to take advantage of his strengths and maximize damage output and survivabillity.

Aside from using Voice of Reason as your primary weapon, I can envision several possible equipment builds or focuses to meet a player's needs (and some of these I've experimented with):

High-End Setup (If you can afford these, it might be better just to go with Rift instead of VoR)

Shield: Herald of Zakarum, Exile
Helm: Crown of Ages, Delirium, Shako, Paladin circlet with godly stats, etc.
Armor: Chains of Honor, Fortitude, etc.
Boots: Goreriders/War Travelers
Amulet: Highlord's, Mara's, or excellent +2 Paladin amulet
Rings: BKs, Ravens, godly rare dual leech rings, SOJs
Belt: Verdungo's probably
Gloves: Dracs

Mid-Gear Setup

Shield: Herald, Tiamat's, nice +1 or +2 rare Paladin shield with high resists, Splendor, stuff a 4-socketed paladin shield with good resists with elemental damage jewels, like those with high fire or lightning damage.
Helm: Vampire Gaze, Stealskull, Rockstopper, nice rare or a rune worded one, etc.
Armor: Duress (which comes with Crushing Blow, Open Wounds, and big cold damage--we can use all those mods), Duriel's Shell, Guardian Angel, Griswold's if socketed nicely, etc. Rares can work. Lionheart is also good and solid armor, providing substantial stat boosts and resists.
Amulet: Highlord's, rare Paladin amulet, or Eye of Elitch.
Rings: Ravens, rare rings with sizable lightning damage on them or leech mods. Yes, even what most people consider "terrible" rings can be useful in this build. :smiley:
Boots: Goreriders, War Travelers, nice rare boots with high resists, Infernostride, IK boots.
Gloves: IK gloves, Lavagout, some nice rares or set combinations.
Belt: whatever floats your boat. I would choose Thundergod's Vigor for the hefty bonuses to strength and vitality and lightning resistance.

Low-End

Shield: Spirit that didn't work out, Rhyme, Ancient's Pledge, Splendor
Helm: Tarnhelm, Peasant Crown, Lore (Ort Sol), rares
Armor: Twitchthroe (you wouldn't believe me, but I was using Twitch until level 73 in hell difficulty because I ran out of Lems to make another Treachery), nice rare, any unique that has stats good for a Paladin or melee build, if desperate, stuff a socketed armor with perfect gems or elemental damage jewels
Amulet: +1, has resists, or does elemental damage
Rings: Try to find stuff that adds to life, resists, and may have elemental damage. Leech, to be honest, is not that important, because you don't do enough real physical damage to leech off of.
Boots: Find or craft, hotspurs, Natalya's boots, just find something that'll allow you to run fast.
Gloves: 20 IAS rares, Bloodfists, Sigon's stuff.
Belt: String of Ears or whatever you choose.

Cheap but High Elemental Damage Output Equipment

Helm: Find or trade for 3os helm, stuff with lightning or fire jewels
Shield: Tiamat's Rebuke or 4-socketed, stuff with lightning jewels
Armor: You get the idea
Gloves: Lavagout
Boots: Infernostride

Expensive But Most Powerful Damage Output Equipment

You'll probably no longer be a Voice of Reason paladin at this point, but you could use Phoenix, Dragon, Dream, Doom, or Rift to augment your Conviction to the max. Dream a little dream for me.

Maiku's Decent/Crap Gear

Helm: Vampire Gaze (will trade for sometime), currently using Rockstopper/Lore
Armor: Treachery or Duress, currently using Griswold's stuffed with 3 IAS jewels to reach 4 fps Zeal.
Shield: I swapped my Tesladin's HoZ over to this guy. I have Tiamat's on switch for more elemental kick.
Amulet: Highlord's
Rings: Dual Ravens. I don't bother with leech since my physical damage is so low. Also, most of the time guys are dead or exploded into ice chunks before I can leech off of them. I don't usually get hit because of high block, lessening my need for leech.
Gloves: Lavagout. The level 10 Enchant procs often with very fast Zeal and boosts my AR to 3.8K. Extra fire damage is welcome. Thinking about swapping these out for crafted blood gloves with 10% crushing blow and IAS to whittle down bosses much quicker. Perhaps Dracs if I can get Dracs at a good price.
Boots: Infernostride. Should swap these out for Goreriders for additional Crushing Blow. I haven't needed CB at this time, even in hell difficulty because my killing speed is very fast. I've equipped my merc with Guillaume's Face and Rattlecage, so he crushes bosses and tough enemies for me. We fight side by side most of the time like comrades in arms.
Belt: Thundergod's Vigor. No complaints. I plan on keeping this belt 'til this character has grown old and died. Lightning resist and absorb mean that I can kill beetles in hell difficulty with ease and no damage.

Cowbane Is Thy Name

I want to make a special note that I wouldn't normally consider a Zealot for magic finding, but an Elemental Conviction Zealot is actually superb at clearing enemies quickly and safely. This was mentioned in an older guide about an Elemental Conviction Zealot that used Baranar's Star. Voice of Reason is a lot more powerful and you will be killing cows with gleeful abandon. If you take a VoR Conviction Zealot into any cow level, Zeal your way out of monstrous packs of cows and watch them explode into ice cubes in one to two hits.

Even with High Elemental Damage, Chaos Sanctuary Can Still Be a Pain: The Dangers of Iron Maiden

Just because you are so reliant on elemental damage doesn't mean you can avoid Iron Maiden. The majority of rare deaths I suffered in nightmare were in the Chaos Sanctuary or Baal's WSK as I Zealed, was IMed, and instantly died. Even with a 35 max damage phase blade, it's quite easy to kill yourself when IM is in effect. Watch out. Swap Glimmershred, a wand with high elemental damage, etc. in so you can Zeal with impunity. Or equip a bow like a Kuko Shakaku or Witchwild String for a slower but safer approach.

Skill Set Ups

Well, finally at last, I come to how skills might be laid out. For my Conviction Zealot, I went with what some others have suggested on the forums:

Zeal: 4
Conviction: 20
Holy Shield: 5 (9-10 with +skills and HoZ)

I have 37 skill points free. Yes, that many to customize the build further even though he's powerful already. I'm going to take my guy down the line of dual Zealot/Avenger, because I want to take bosses down fast with a few hits. I have no worries about my crowd-control abilities now that I've tested it quite a bit in hell difficulty.

Now it's time for you to think about where your inner Voice of Reason will take you.

VoR Uber Zealot/Smiter

Zeal: 4-20
Holy Shield: 20

VoR Uber Defiance Zealot

Zeal: 20 (for AR boost)
Defiance: 20
Holy Shield: 20

VoR Dreamadin/Whateverdin (thanks to Niner for our chat when trading charms and his thoughts on his Whateverdin)

Zeal: 20
Resist Lightning: 20
Salvation: 20

(You will need to be able to make and use Dream rune word gear to make the most of this.)

Any comments, ideas, equipment suggestions, or in-my-face berating all welcome. I have tried to give due credit to those who gave me advice, wrote guides, and inspired me to make a Voice of Reason (you, SSoG) and later rant about it here. It is that good. Thank you.

Last edited:

Sorflakne

Diabloii.Net Member
Haha, I like this! Something different that sounds fun and looks *relatively* cheap to make. Now if only Meph would be nice to my MF'er so I could gear a Conviction Zealot up...

kidsmokin

Diabloii.Net Member
This seems really similar to the Riftadin. There's a guide floating around somewhere. I didn't get a lot of time to really look at it, but it looks good at first glance.

maiku

Diabloii.Net Member
In some ways, VoR is like a baby "Rift" but it can be made much more cheaply and it offers a lot of strengths for its price when combined with a Conviction Zealot build. Almost all Conviction Zealots are the same when you get down to it. A friend last night told me that he never considered making Paladins because they were too expensive and needed good gear to be godly in hell difficulty. This is not the case. Typical Fanatic Zealot gear is not needed. In fact, you can kill faster using a cheap Tiamat's as opposed to a Herald of Zakarum, because of the additional elemental damage. A Tiamat's can be found or goes for a few perfect gems on the trading forum because almost no one uses them.

As I mentioned, VoR also casts Ice Blast on enemies, which freezes them and if you stack a few cold charms (even better if they're higher damage, since you can get more out of them with your Conviction), you get several seconds of freeze on enemies who aren't dead yet from Frozen Orb. Rift also does not have enhanced damage versus demons and undead. With VoR, you slow almost all enemies on screen, you freeze enemies near you so that you don't get hit and they can't flee or retreat (this is part of the reason why I was able to use a regular Twitchthroe for so long), and you hit them for very solid damage and others die as Frozen Orb shards pepper them. I'll make a Rift one of these days and see how much of a difference there is in kill speed.

To get all these stats on one weapon is incredible, IMO. This is the most affordable pally I've ever played, which is why I thought I would write about him more after I had put in a lot of play time.

AdamP

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm about to make one of these weapons for my ladder Dreamer. I currently only have one Dream but he's still working pretty well. I've been using Cresent Moon Phase Blade for a long time and it's doing a pretty good job but I want to try some different weapons out.

I'd like to see some calculations on how the -cold resist works with the -resist all from conviction.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
As I mentioned, VoR also casts Ice Blast on enemies, which freezes them and if you stack a few cold charms (even better if they're higher damage, since you can get more out of them with your Conviction), you get several seconds of freeze on enemies who aren't dead yet from Frozen Orb. Rift also does not have enhanced damage versus demons and undead. With VoR, you slow almost all enemies on screen, you freeze enemies near you so that you don't get hit and they can't flee or retreat (this is part of the reason why I was able to use a regular Twitchthroe for so long), and you hit them for very solid damage and others die as Frozen Orb shards pepper them. I'll make a Rift one of these days and see how much of a difference there is in kill speed.
Adding cold charms actually won't increase Ice Blast's freeze duration- that only works on the Amazon's Ice Arrow and/or Freezing Arrow. Since Ice Blast is a spell, any elemental damage on your gear is not taken into consideration. Other than that, I can't really spot much to quibble with yet. Good job. :smiley:

As for VoR vs. Rift... Rift will definitely kill noticeably faster than VoR, but VoR still kills plenty quick enough for me. I've always said that Rift and Gimmershreds are like the Tier 1 weapons for Conviction Zealots, and that Voice of Reason was like Tier 1.5. It's noticeably behind the other two, but still well ahead of the rest of the pack, and since it's the cheapest of the three, I'd highly recommend it to anyone thinking of giving a Conviction Zealot a try.

Sorflakne

Diabloii.Net Member
So just a thought, but what about throwing a Doom on this kind of char? You'd get the Conviction aura from your skill tree and coupled with Holy Freeze (even though it is lvl 12...), and then max Resist Cold for the synergy. Sure you miss out on the special attacks from VoR, and it's a hell of a lot more expensive, but it's a thought.

maiku

Diabloii.Net Member
If one was to use Doom, I'd recommend also maxing Zeal and Sacrifice to take advantage of Doom's high physical enhanced damage. VoR has no ED (except for demons and undead). It doesn't really make sense, IMO, to max Zeal and Sacrifice for a VoR build when AR is not a problem with Conviction Zealots. I was warned that it would be, but in my experience, 2-3K AR is sufficient for even killing Lister and his cronies or Baal himself. (Remember that high level Conviction makes enemy defense go poof.)

chien

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow, nice guide!! A quick question, do you encounter lots of "unbreakable" cold immune in Hell mode? This makes me want to try to make one since I just pick up a 4OS pB and don't know what to do about it :p

BTW, can this char do Uber Trist?

Chien

Sorflakne

Diabloii.Net Member
So I finally got my VoR made (3% away from perfect in both undead and demon ed's) and am starting my pally up. Was thinking of a setup like...

5-10 Zeal (maybe even max it)
20 Conviction
20 Holy Shield
~10 Blessed Aim (hidden bonus AR never hurt)
10-20 Defiance (for HS synergy)

Probably gonna go with Tiamat's for extra elemental damage, but I'm tempted to grab a SS for this char.

Last edited:

Pooshy

Diabloii.Net Member
Stormspire
Giant Thresher
Two-Hand Damage: (100-140) To (285-399) (192.5-269.5 Avg)
Required Level: 70
Required Strength: 188
Required Dexterity: 140
Base Weapon Speed: [-10]
150-250% Enhanced Damage (varies)
Adds 1-237 Lightning Damage
2% Chance To Cast Level 20 Charged Bolt When Struck
5% Chance To Cast Level 5 Chain Lightning When Struck
30% Increased Attack Speed
Lightning Resist +50%
+10 To Strength
Attacker Takes Lightning Damage of 27
Indestructible

Azurewrath
Phase Blade
One-Hand Damage: (102-114) To (115-129) (108.5-121.5 Avg)
Required Level: 85
Required Strength: 25
Required Dexterity: 136
Base Weapon Speed: [-30]
+230-270% Enhanced Damage (varies)
+30% Increased Attack Speed
Adds 250-500 Magic Damage
Adds 250-500 Cold Damage, 10 sec. Duration (Normal)
+1 To All Skills
+5-10 To All Attributes (varies)
Level 10-13 Sanctuary Aura When Equipped (varies)
Indestructible
+3 To Light Radius
(Ladder Only)
(Only Spawns In Patch 1.10 or later)

Frostwind
Cryptic Sword
One-Hand Damage: (14-16) To (215-254) (114.5-135 Avg)
Required Level: 70
Required Strength: 99
Required Dexterity: 109
+180-230% Enhanced Damage (varies)
Adds 237-486 Cold Damage, 6 sec. Duration (Normal)
+7-14 To Arctic Blast* (varies)
Freezes Target +4
Cold Absorb 7-15% (varies)
Half Freeze Duration
+25% Increased Attack Speed

Flamebellow
Balrog Blade
One-Hand Damage: (40-51) To (202-255) (121-153 Avg)
Two-Hand Damage: (148-187) To (318-401) (233-294 Avg)
Required Level: 71
Required Strength: 185
Required Dexterity: 87
Base Weapon Speed: [0]
+170-240% Enhanced Damage (varies)
Adds 233-482 Fire Damage
+3 To Fire Skills
+12-18 To Inferno* (varies)
+10-20 To Strength (varies)
+5-10 To Vitality (varies)
12% Chance To Cast Level 16 Firestorm On Striking
Fire Absorb 20-30% (varies)

Demon Limb
Tyrant Club
One-Hand Damage: (89-105) To (162-191) (125.5-148 Avg)
Required Level: 63
Required Strength: 133
Durability: 65
Base Weapon Speed: [0]
+180-230% Enhanced Damage (varies)
+50% Damage To Undead
+123% Damage To Demons
Adds 222-333 Fire Damage
7-13% Life Stolen Per Hit (varies)
Fire Resist +15-20% (varies)
Level 23 Enchant (20 Charges)
Repairs 1 Durability in 20 Seconds

Horizon's Tornado
Scourge
One-Hand Damage: (9-11) To (264-304) (136.5-157.5 Avg)
Required Level: 64
Required Strength: 100
Required Dexterity: 62
+230-280% Enhanced Damage (varies)
+50% Damage To Undead
+50% Increased Attack Speed
Slows Target By 20%
20% Chance To Cast Level 15 Tornado On Striking
Requirements -20%

Stormlash
Scourge
One-Hand Damage: (10-12) To (272-320) (141-166 Avg)
Required Level: 82
Required Strength: 125
Required Dexterity: 77
+240-300% Enhanced Damage (varies)
+50% Damage To Undead
Adds 1-473 Lightning Damage
+30% Increased Attack Speed
+33% Chance of Crushing Blow
20% Chance To Cast Level 18 Tornado On Striking
15% Chance To Cast Level 10 Static Field On Striking
+3-9 Lightning Absorb (varies)
Attacker Takes Lightning Damage of 30

Astreon's Iron Ward
Caduceus
One-Hand Damage: (125-144) To (146-167) (135.5-155.5 Avg)
Required Level: 66
Required Strength: 97
Required Dexterity: 70
Durability: 70
+240-290% Enhanced Damage (varies)
Damage +40-85 (varies)
+50% Damage To Undead
Adds 80-240 Magic Damage
33% Chance of Crushing Blow
Slows Target By 25%
Damage Reduced By 4-7 (varies)
+2-4 To Combat Skills (Paladin Only) (varies)
+10% Increased Attack Speed
150-200% Bonus To Attack Rating (varies)

Crescent Moon 3 Socket Axes/Swords/Polearms Shael + Um + Tir 10% Chance To Cast Level 17 Chain Lightning On Striking
7% Chance To Cast Level 13 Static Field On Striking
+20% Increased Attack Speed
+180-220% Enhanced Damage (varies)
Ignore Target's Defense
-35% To Enemy Lightning Resistance
25% Chance of Open Wounds
+9-11 Magic Absorb (varies)
+2 To Mana After Each Kill
Level 18 Summon Spirit Wolf (30 Charges)

Doom 5 Socket Axes/Polearms/Hammers Hel + Ohm + Um + Lo + Cham 5% Chance To Cast Level 18 Volcano On Striking
Level 12 Holy Freeze Aura When Equipped
+2 To All Skills
+45% Increased Attack Speed
+330-370% Enhanced Damage (varies)
-(40-60)% To Enemy Cold Resistance (varies)
20% Deadly Strike
25% Chance of Open Wounds
Prevent Monster Heal
Freezes Target +3
Requirements -20%

Famine 4 Socket Axes/Hammers Fal + Ohm + Ort + Jah +30% Increased Attack Speed
+320-370% Enhanced Damage (varies)
Ignore Target's Defense
Adds 180-200 Magic Damage
Adds 50-200 Fire Damage
Adds 51-250 Lightning Damage
Adds 50-200 Cold Damage
12% Life Stolen Per Hit
Prevent Monster Heal
+10 To Strength

Death 5 Socket Swords/Axes Hel + El + Vex + Ort + Gul 100% Chance To Cast Level 44 Chain Lightning When You Die
25% Chance To Cast Level 18 Glacial Spike On Attack
Indestructible
+300-385% Enhanced Damage (varies)*
20% Bonus To Attack Rating
+50 To Attack Rating
Adds 1-50 Lightning Damage
7% Mana Stolen Per Hit
50% Chance of Crushing Blow
+(0.5 per Character Level) 0.5-49.5% Deadly Strike (Based on Character Level)
+1 To Light Radius
Level 22 Blood Golem (15 Charges)
Requirements -20%

Destruction 5 Socket Polearms/Swords Vex + Lo + Ber + Jah + Ko 23% Chance To Cast Level 12 Volcano On Striking
5% Chance To Cast Level 23 Molten Boulder On Striking
100% Chance To Cast level 45 Meteor When You Die
15% Chance To Cast Level 22 Nova On Attack
+350% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target's Defense
Adds 100-180 Magic Damage
7% Mana Stolen Per Hit
20% Chance Of Crushing Blow
20% Deadly Strike
Prevent Monster Heal
+10 To Dexterity

Infinity 4 Socket Polearms Ber + Mal + Ber + Ist 50% Chance To Cast Level 20 Chain Lightning When You Kill An Enemy
Level 12 Conviction Aura When Equipped
+35% Faster Run/Walk
+255-325% Enhanced Damage (varies)
-(45-55)% To Enemy Lightning Resistance (varies)
40% Chance of Crushing Blow
Prevent Monster Heal
0.5-49.5 To Vitality (Based on Character Level)
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Level 21 Cyclone Armor (30 Charges)

Lawbringer 3 Socket Swords/Hammers/Scepters Amn + Lem + Ko 20% Chance To Cast Level 15 Decrepify On Striking
Level 16-18 Sanctuary Aura When Equipped (varies)
-50% Target Defense
Adds 150-210 Fire Damage
Adds 130-180 Cold Damage
7% Life Stolen Per Hit
Slain Monsters Rest In Peace
+200-250 Defense Vs. Missile (varies)
+10 To Dexterity

Pride 4 Socket Polearms Cham + Sur + Io + Lo 25% Chance To Cast Level 17 Fire Wall When Struck
Level 16-20 Concentration Aura When Equipped (varies)
260-300% Bonus To Attack Rating (varies)
+1-99% Damage To Demons (Based on Character Level)
Adds 50-280 Lightning Damage
20% Deadly Strike
Hit Blinds Target
Freezes Target +3
+10 To Vitality
Replenish Life +8
1.875-185.625% Extra Gold From Monsters (Based on Character Level)

Rift 4 Socket Polearms/Scepters Hel + Ko + Lem + Gul 20% Chance To Cast Level 16 Tornado On Striking
16% Chance To Cast Level 21 Frozen Orb On Attack
20% Bonus To Attack Rating
Adds 160-250 Magic Damage
Adds 60-180 Fire Damage
+5-10 To All Stats (varies)
+10 To Dexterity
38% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
Level 15 Iron Maiden (40 Charges)
Requirements -20%

maiku

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow, nice guide!! A quick question, do you encounter lots of "unbreakable" cold immune in Hell mode? This makes me want to try to make one since I just pick up a 4OS pB and don't know what to do about it :p

BTW, can this char do Uber Trist?

Chien
It seems that Conviction is good at breaking cold immunes and any who are truly immune still die pretty fast, because most of them tend to be demons or undead, so take other forms of damage. The worst cold-immune offenders in my experience are those demons around the Frigid waypoint & Shenk in Act 5. They take a little longer to go down, but die really fast once my mercenary shows up with his Reaper's Toll (which casts Decrepify). Muahaha. I also try to keep a few other sources of elemental damage on my Zealot, like lightning charms of 1-30 small charms and large charms of 1-70 lightning and Lavagout/Infernostride for extra fire damage. Most of your damage will be from cold, but you'll want some different types to keep your flexibility high. If you wanted more elemental damage, get Tiamat's and get a higher level Holy Shield so you can maintain max block. With Conviction, Tiamat's elemental damage can really punish foes.

BTW, I want to note that many of my charms were found on quick nightmare cow runs in a day or two. Good place to get your elemental damage charms for cheap. ;) In fact, I think cow runs are more useful than trading for charms. I hope to pick up some from hell cows tonight.

maiku

Diabloii.Net Member
So I finally got my VoR made (3% away from perfect in both undead and demon ed's) and am starting my pally up. Was thinking of a setup like...

5-10 Zeal (maybe even max it)
20 Conviction
20 Holy Shield
~10 Blessed Aim (hidden bonus AR never hurt)
10-20 Defiance (for HS synergy)

Probably gonna go with Tiamat's for extra elemental damage, but I'm tempted to grab a SS for this char.
Very nice roll. I wish my Voice of Reason turned out as nice as yours. Mine had a low roll on damage versus demons but it still works well. You'll have very high AR (with Conviction) and defense. You'll be pretty untouchable with good armor.

Schmaleop

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm curious as to whether an Elite paladin shield with res mod and 4 jewels of thunder would work better than a tiamuts?

Have you tried this approach?

chien

Diabloii.Net Member
The reason I asked is that there are couple tough cold immune baddies. Examples: One of the ancient (Korlic) has 150 cold resist, the famous but annoying Oblivion Knight has 180 cold resist and the annoying vampire type also has cold resist 110-150.

BTW, do you think he can do uber?

Thanks!

Chien

chien

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm curious as to whether an Elite paladin shield with res mod and 4 jewels of thunder would work better than a tiamuts?

Have you tried this approach?
The max you get is 1-100 light damage. So, it would be 4-400 if you get 4 perfect ones. With conviction, it might be ok.

Chien

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
The max you get is 1-100 light damage. So, it would be 4-400 if you get 4 perfect ones. With conviction, it might be ok.

Chien
4-400 = 202 average damage. Tiamats itself only adds 165 average elemental damage, but 40 of that is cold (which is nearly useless, since any non-CI dies easily enough). So in terms of elemental damage, the "Jewel of Thunder" shield would beat out Tiamat's pretty handily. It would also have better blocking and resistances than Tiamat's, and count as a "Light" shield type (so it wouldn't slow you down as much while running). The only thing you'd lose out on is a bit of defense and the "ctc when struck" skills on Tiamat's.

maiku

Diabloii.Net Member
The reason I asked is that there are couple tough cold immune baddies. Examples: One of the ancient (Korlic) has 150 cold resist, the famous but annoying Oblivion Knight has 180 cold resist and the annoying vampire type also has cold resist 110-150.

BTW, do you think he can do uber?

Thanks!

Chien
I think he should be able to do Ubers. With 1-point in Smite, a lot of Crushing Blow (Guillaume's helm, Goreriders, Duress, or Rattlecage, "Black" rune-worded Knout, etc.), good resists, and some charms of poison or something with Prevent Monster Heal, most Paladins should be able to do Ubers. The desire to make my max resists even higher is one of the reasons I'm contemplating taking my spare points and making him into a Zealot/Avenger hybrid, because I can invest enough to not compromise either build. I'll find out later how he does, because one of my friends has an organ set and I'll just need to schedule a good time to test my guy on the Ubers. I have tried to do Ubers with a half-geared Tesladin, and it was a nightmare. So far this Conviction Zealot has done a lot better than my Tesladin in most respects.

Schmaleop, like SSoG says, if you could find or get perfect Jewels of Thunder and an excellent elite shield with 40+ resists, I would definitely take it over the Tiamat's for extra damage. The reason why I suggest Tiamat's is that it goes for very cheap, 3-5 perfect gems on the trading forum for USWest for example, and anyone can get a few perfect gems with some patience and play time. For its price and this build, it can offer a lot of elemental damage for cheap. The downside to using Tiamat's is that the block isn't as good as Herald of Zakarum or a good elite shield. You can invest more into Holy Shield to compensate for this. Remember, Conviction Zealots aren't a tight build, and they have plenty of skill points to spend as you will.