Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Finding sets and Uniques

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by sorcynecro, Oct 19, 2006.

1. sorcynecro

sorcynecro Diabloii.Net Member

Finding sets and Uniques

Noob here looking for SP advice on mfing desired gear. I'm creating a fishymancer - currently at level 78 - and am struggling in hell as my gear is poor. I have + 3 to summon, + 3 to RS and + 1 to SM, but need the uniques and set items to really cane it in Hell.

I have been doing NM Baal runs, just finished maggots lair on Hell and went back to NM, but Baal isn't dropping anything good. best thing is chancies but they require level 15 :cry: Trangoul's require level 67 i think.

Can anyone point me in a direction to find Trangoul's set - already have the shield - and anything else i might need. Esp Enigma runes.

2. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

No you don´t. Good crafted-, magical items and rares (and armor/helm with topazes) will do the job well enough. The most important item in a Fishy´s setup is usually the merc weapon, because a good one makes the important first corpse drop faster.

Chancies are good for MFing if you aren´t low on resists. Decent MF rings, amulet, boots and circlet can be gambled. Rhyme is a great all-purpose shield runeword, and it can be made in necro heads, too.

Good find on the shield. Can´t help you with the rest, I think I have seen two of the other items, but only once each. Any area with sufficient high level is good enough, I suppose. I don´t do runs, but I figure Hell Mephisto will be the best place for most of them. Pack some Crushing Blow gear for the merc and/or the necro.

Haven´t seen anything above Gul in my entire (several years) D2 'career'.
    Highest rune drop outside Hellforge for me is a Pul...

3. Hrus

Hrus Diabloii.Net Member

I agree with everything what jiansonz said - but you will have really hard time to get Trangs belt and helm because they are from TC84, which is quite rare (and connot be dropped from Hell Mephisto for example)

Oh, and don't ever dream of finding runes like Jah and Ber. There are only a few legit Enigmas among SPF members and those members are really vets who invested a lot of time in the game.

4. Atil

Atil Diabloii.Net Member

The quirkyness of the game usually means that the character you are playing will not find that type of character specific uniques. (Probably not true, but it often seems that way).

One of my Barbarians found Trang-Oul's Guise from Hell Baal's Minions. This completed the set which I then built my Necromancer around.

Fishymancers should be able to complete Hell without top end gear. I used the skeleton army, a Fire Golem for general questing and a Clay Golem on bosses. Keep Amplify Damage/Decrepify active all the time and use Corpse Explosion liberally.

Good luck with your hunting.

5. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Welcome to the forum sorcynecro. I got a green troll belt from recent MP games with chrischar. PM me if you want it :wink3:

6. Arreat_mercenary

Arreat_mercenary Diabloii.Net Member

I agree with what everyone said.

Don't bother on finding full trang's or finding jah and ber to enigma, it won't happen in SP.

But it's not needed for a fishymancer. My clvl 84 patriarch beated hell with negative resists and with almost only rare (yellow) stuff. I had rare boots, rare belt, rare gloves, rare shield, rare amulet, socketed armor (4 ptopaz), and socketed helmet (3 ptopaz) the only uniques were blade of ali baba (no +skills), and the two rings (ravenfrost and SoJ) which both were found by running NM meph.

And still with all that "crappy" equipment, I had no trouble at all in doing patriarch, having 9 skeletons, 7 revives, golem and merc really makes the danger almost non existant for a fishy. I just had to wait for the first corpse to start the CE reaction. Even my merc was using middle equipment, his weapon was an ethereal athena's wrath.

There's no need for things like full trang's or enigma, correct use of dim vision and attract makes "the usage of uber" equipment or enigma not needed. I did had teleport charges, but were used only to re-position the army

Edit: By the way, what level is your char? You say you are already in hell, but which clvl is your char? Remember your level plays a big role in the "to-hit" formula so your skellies and revives will have no problems hitting, also the merc needs a high level enough to hit anything

7. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

Certainly true for the runes, but I see no reason why a dedicted MF runner shouldn´t be able to complete this set, eventually.

sorcynecro wrote that. It´s level 78, completely normal for being in mid-act 2 Hell.

8. Wolfgang Abenteuer

Wolfgang Abenteuer Diabloii.Net Member

The part that confused me is when he mentioned Chancies are level 15 followed by the crying face, which would seem to me as though he's saying he can't equip them yet or something, yet if he's in Act 2 Hell I'm guessing he's well beyond level 15.

~Wolfgang

9. sorcynecro

sorcynecro Diabloii.Net Member

I was upset at the fact i can only get level 15 unique items when i am hoping for bigger ones. Homunculus for example would be nice :wink: and level 42 item for NM Baal i would have thought to be feasible.

I guess i will pursue uniques, Leoric's, Hormunculus, Mara's etc and if i get the trang's then yipee. But with Skellies doing 250 damage and then the might merc on top, they dont do well enough to run bosses for the items i need.

Is Hell Meph my best target for farming most items given my char / basic stats so far? I have over 250 vit, 100 energy, 100 str, dex has no points invested just + from items. Res are around 0 on hell, with fire at 30 so not a problem.Also have no idea what to put spare points into - SM, RS. CE maxed, SR about 15, Revives around 8. Char level 78.

10. Astilin

Astilin Diabloii.Net Member

I had the same problem. My skellmancer is lvl 80 or so and i had lvl 33 summons abd like 13 revives. I can't afford one of those neat aura runewords to add on top of might so I just used might. I found myself having real problems in Chaos Santuary. I couldn't really use CE because my summons kept dying and I had to resummon. I eventually abandonded mancer for hammerdin and meteorb, but it still was one of the most fun chars I have played.

Also, any thoughts on aquiring an Enigma giving that the chances of me actually finding the runes are really rare (highest I pulled was a Lo in pits oddly enough)?

11. Drystan

Drystan Diabloii.Net Member

Just a note on youor build:
    It's just as effective if you leave energy at base, but if that's not comfortable, 50. It helps early on, but items, along with the mana you get per level, it isn't all that valuable or helpful at later levels.

Arm of King Leoric and hormunculus are fairly difficult to find as well. For a cheap fishy setup, these are the items to look for, and most are shopable/gamblable. It's what I used to help build mines strength up while he was searching for the higher level items.

+3 Summoning circlet (gamble)
    +2 necro/summoning amulet (gamble/find)
    +2 summoning wand with +2 RS and/or +x SM (shop)
    Necro shield with RS and SM
    Trang'ouls Armour has +2 summoning

Does that mean your SkeleMastery and RaiseSkele aren't maxed? If they aren't, these should be maxed.

12. Arreat_mercenary

Arreat_mercenary Diabloii.Net Member

@Drystan: SM= Skeleton Mastery, RS= Raise Skleton.

A typical fishy build is 20 SM, 20 RS, 20 CE, at least 2 point in SR (no need for 15), 4 Amplify, rest is up to you.

Fishymancer are overpowered, there's no need for homunculus, arm of king and enigma. As I said, I made a fishy patriarch with negative resists, crappy equipment and had no trouble at all.

Chaos Sanctuary was fairly easy, the problem is Iron Maiden for your summons, revives and mercs, which I easily solved by going near to the curse casters so I would get decrepify instead of IM (tele charges really help here, if not, running to them will make them cast decrep insted of IM).

I see no problem with skellies doing "only" 250 damage, my skellies did even less damage and I had no trouble re-running NM meph, pits or pindle, it was fairly quick. Problem is we should not expect a fishy to be as quick at running meph like a blizzard sorceress, a fishy is excellent for area runs (pits, ancient tunnels) and not so much for single targets (meph).

13. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce Diabloii.Net Member

You're problem is simple. You're trying to find nice items, so they will not drop.

Let me give an example.
    I just finished Guardianing my Necro, he was nearly untwinked, and the things that were twinked weren't too spectacular. I played through the game up to about Act 4 Hell hoping that I could find some really nice gear so that I could twink him better. By the time I reached this point my finds had been so spectacularly craptacular that I was bitter and loathing at the D2 gods. To spite them I decided I would prove them wrong by kicking the games *** with my junk gear and then see who had the last laugh! (huh? how do you like that mister d2 gods? Not so hot now are ya?)

Anyway, by the time I was about 1/2 way through Act 4 Hell it had reached the point where I was hoping not to find anything good because I needed to prove I didn't need it. From about there on I found a Baraners Star, Duriels Shell, and a rockin' rare necro head.

In conclusion, to find 1337 itamz you must not look!
    You should build a character with 0% mf and play with the rule that you will use only cracked or crude items. In response the D2 gods will cause unique after unique to drop in an effort to tempt you into taking the easy way out.

-hps

14. Drystan

Drystan Diabloii.Net Member

Umm? Where's my mistake? I can't find any typo in my quote. :/
    I was asking if the OP'ers RS and SM were maxed, becuase from this quote:
    I gained that CE =20, SR =~15, Revives =8, and SM/RS were undefined. From the formatting, I got that the question was whether SM or RS should be maxed.
    Sorry if it seemed as if I was asking what SM/RS were, but I do know :grin:

QFT. I second that :grin:

15. damaris

damaris Diabloii.Net Member

if i were you, i would run nm baal instead. it gives you more exp and the drops are not bad either.

16. PetePizza

PetePizza Diabloii.Net Member

My Fish is my magic find character, the one who I started untwinked with a new install at the end of the summer. He's a patriarch, currently level 89. For most of his life he carried a +3RS, +3AmpD wand found in Act1 Norm and a +2SM, +1AmpD bottled head. Gear doesn't matter so much.

The most important item, in terms of quickly killing Baal, was Duress for my merc. The little bit of crushing blow turned a five minute affair into a 90 second stabbing spree.

17. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Can I just repeat the "you don't need good gear for a fishy" - that is the entire point of the build. It is possible to get lucky and get a higher rune but no, you are not going to get an enigma - this isn't bnet. Fishy's can solo everywhere but they are never going to be a quick killer. If you want to rip through hell quickly then make a pally or a blizzballer.

18. Atil

Atil Diabloii.Net Member

My Trang-Oul's Set was self-found in SP. Admittedly it took a while and I wasn't actively searching for all the pieces, but once I found them, it seemed a waste not to use them.

As both you and jiansonz stated, the runes are a different matter.

19. RIP

RIP Diabloii.Net Member

Fishy

Hello all

i am currently playing Fishy, he is now at Act 2 NM and i can say, i never played more safer character then this...Sorry, i forget to say, my fishy is HC and untwincked...

At this time, he is wearing +2 Necro wand (other mods are +2 Golem mastery, + 2 Summon resist) and this weapon i buyed for him in 1Act NM.

I already checked it in Akaras trade window, that is possible to buy many times this wand (with other mods) in 1Act NM.So i dont mind about Leoric wand...

I found my +2summoning amulet also at 1Act NM :wink3:

And what about resistances...I gambled also in 1Act NM circlet with +26resist all and + 28life, so i used the socket quest from normal and Larzuk mades for me two holes - this can be filled by ORT, RAL runes, or if i need, Ptopazes for MF.

I fully agree with somebody (Thyiad?), that this character does not need very good gear.Also, if You are such bad player as i am...

At the end, i can say, that some NM Andy (my case) and Meph runs (near future) can help a lot Fishy.

And of course, dont expect killing all enemies at players 8 setting in Hell difficulty...

20. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard Diabloii.Net Member

You should find a regular blue shrunken head pretty much anywhere in hell difficulty, and use the 3 perfect gem recipe to re-roll it until you get a +3 summons head. You can similarly re-roll circlets, or simply gamble for a +3 summons head piece. Shop for a +3 summons wand. Fishymancers thrive on two things, and pretty much only two things... +summons and +MF.

Your merc weapon shouldn't cast a curse... that's your job and you don't want him stealing your thunder. I like Arioc's Needle for the +all skills that boost the merc's aura.