Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Finding runes question.

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by ferretgod, Jan 30, 2004.

1. ferretgod

ferretgod IncGamers Member

Finding runes question.

Finding rune question.

Since DB has dropped all of the massages form previous posts, I cannot really go back and look.

Can we get a list of best places to look for runes in HELL?

2. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

Wrote this semi-guide up for you, all areas discussed below are in hell difficulty.

Countess Running (Highest Rune = Lo)

Probably the most popular rune location. The countess can be found on the lowest level of the forgotten tower, in the black marsh. She has a guaranteed rune drop, so every time you kill her she will drop at least one rune. She is a favourite for rune upgrading (discussed later)

The Hellforge Rush Technique (Highest Rune = Gul)

This one is time consuming. Offer to do free rushes to hell as long as you get the hellforge quest. Rush someone you find trustworthy (a forumer is the best bet) and complete the hellforge quest in act4. Consider whatever that drop may be your payment for the rush.

Hephasto the Armourer running (Highest Rune = Zod)

Hephasto the Armourer guards the hellforge found in the river of flame. Although there is no solid explication, I myself, along with some others, have found that Hephasto drops more runes that the average foe. You will have to kill him when hellforge rushing, but hephasto running includes killing him and only him (kind of like pindle running).

Running Level 82+ Areas (Highest Rune = Zod)

There are several level 82+ areas (full list of level 85 areas here). Each one has not only the ability to drop the highest rune, but they can drop a very good number of items. The level 85 areas can drop every last item in the game. The chances are very low you will find a rune, but if you MF in these areas anyways, a rune may show itself.

Farming & Upgrading

Farming involves collecting tons of lower-level runes. Upgrading (Ladder-Only for the high runes) involves transmuting two lower-level runes to a higher level rune by way of the horadric cube. The desperate will keep runes no lower than Amn, but most like to start upgrading runes at Lum or Ko.

Rune Upgrading recipies

Code:
    3 Thul Runes + 1 Chipped Topaz = Amn Rune
    3 Amn Runes + 1 Chipped Amethyst = Sol Rune
    3 Sol Runes + 1 Chipped Sapphire = Shael Rune
    3 Shael Runes + 1 Chipped Ruby = Dol Rune

[I]* Below formulae are ladder only *[/I]
    3 Dol Runes + 1 Chipped Emerald = Hel Rune
    3 Hel Runes + 1 Chipped Diamond = Io Rune
    3 Io Runes + 1 Flawed Topaz = Lum Rune
    3 Lum Runes + 1 Flawed Amethyst = Ko Rune
    3 Ko Runes + 1 Flawed Sapphire = Fal Rune
    3 Fal Runes + 1 Flawed Ruby = Lem Rune
    3 Lem Runes + 1 Flawed Emerald = Pul Rune
    2 Pul Runes + 1 Flawed Diamond = Um Rune
    2 Um Runes + 1 Topaz = Mal Rune
    2 Mal Runes + 1 Amethyst = Ist Rune
    2 Ist Runes + 1 Sapphire = Gul Rune
    2 Gul Runes + 1 Ruby = Vex Rune
    2 Vex Runes + 1 Emerald = Ohm Rune
    2 Ohm Runes + 1 Diamond = Lo Rune
    2 Lo Runes + 1 Flawless Topaz = Sur Rune
    2 Sur Runes + 1 Flawless Amethyst = Ber Rune
    2 Ber Runes + 1 Flawless Sapphire = Jah Rune
    2 Jah Runes + 1 Flawless Ruby = Cham Rune
    2 Cham Runes + 1 Flawless Emerald = Zod Rune

Other

Magic Find does not affect rune finding in anyway. Runes are purely luck, so if one does drop feel lucky.

As for other ways to get runes, just play though the game, runes pop up when you least expect them to.

3. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

It depends what you mean by best. Most runes? Highest runes? Most consistent high runes?

Finding runes is really mostly about luck. You can improve your chances very slightly by looking in the right area, but mostly it is just game time = more chances to find = more runes.

The same places that are good for high TC drops are good for rune drops. Any area level 82 or above can drop a Zod.

Certain creatures are better than others. Wraith types in particular - that is the Ghosts is Arcane Sanctuary, the Souls in the jungle, and the Finger Mages in Chaos Sanctuary, and everything like them. Note also, if you plan to kill these for runes, it is definitely worth playing in a game with max players - wraith drops benefit the most from extra players in the game.

Chests also produce a lot of runes on average. However, unlike monsters, they do not have their drops upgraded to area level. So you can only get up to Vex from a chest in Act 1 (even in the Pit), Lo in 2, Ber in 3, Cham in 4, Zod in 5. A place with lots of chests in it (eg Kurast) will give lots of chances of runes (even if only up to Ber). Again, more players is a good idea when hitting chests.

[edit] Wow, my run of answering right after someone else continues :)
    Shadow, the Countess can drop up to Lo, in fact, but only up to Ist with any decent chance. The max drop of Vex was for 1.09. The Hellforge can drop up to Gul in Hell.

4. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

And my run of answering right before people just begins :)

Thanks for the corrections and additions, i guess I'm still stuck in the past :p

5. ferretgod

ferretgod IncGamers Member

Ok, I understand who can drop what rune, I am trying to get an idea of places I should be trying to get runes from. I did 100 pit runs and found very little runes (no keepers), I think sol was the best one I found.

I was thinking of hitting area with high consentration of targets, may be cow level in hell or flyers jungle.

Since my char is and cold/fire sorcy, Iu was thinking of taking off all my MF gear (probably will leave skuds and shako) and running these two areas, with high killing speed, to see if I can find some thing.

let me know if I am on the right path.

P.S. how do I keep cow level always avalible to me ? Last time I read about it, I could not kill Cow king ?

6. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

If runes are really all you are after, then yes, sacrifice MF for killing speed (although if you can keep some on without making a difference, you might as well).

Kills per second is definitely the most important thing. Runes follow the same distribution no matter where you are or who you kill (only exception is the Hellforge). If a creature can drop a Vex, it will drop an average of 951 Els for each Vex it drops. Nothing you can do will change that. But, if you kill enough creatures that you would have seen 951 Els, chances are you'll see a Vex, and also a couple of Guls and Ists, a few Mals and Ums, etc.

Wraith types drop runes around 4 times as often as other creatures. So an area which is only medium full of wraiths can be as good as an area full to bursting with other creatures.

Cows are better for runes than most creatures, so if you can do them it isn't a bad idea either. Cows can drop Zod. I have to confess to not having run cows in 1.10 so I am not 100% sure if the same rules still apply for being able to repeatedly run them. Someone else will know.

7. freakinrican

freakinrican IncGamers Member

When I run my 89 pally through a Countess run I switch off of my rhyme shield and I get good crafting runes (highest being an um). When I keep my rhyme shield on I am more apt to get an el, eld, or tir. I should also note that my char barely has 100+ mf on, a paltry sum. The best 1-hand weapon I've found with this char is a Death Cleaver doing a pit run and the best item overall is an soj doing a Countess run. I also got Mal in hell hellforge.

8. Daevren

Daevren IncGamers Member

Ok, runes are rare any high level runes are extremely rare. Its almost impossible to do runs for high runes. Chances are big you won't find anything (high level runes that is) and you will be discouraged/dissapointed.

The easiest way to get medium level runes is countess hell or nightmare. The second best way is probably to create a rune mule and rush to NM and Hell hellforge with a high lvl friend doing all the hard work. This way you will also get sockets, imbues and stuff. I do not know if Blizzard likes this but it works alot better than doing 1000 river of fire runs.

If you are really desperate you can farm all runes you find. I created 7 thuls in one week and I don't play that much. Ok, its pointless to make a zod this way, but the chance that you farm a zod is probably greater than the chance you find one.

Its so much about luck that the actual monster that drops the rune doesn't mean anything. I got a mal out of a chest in act V NM, got most of my other high level runes from normal monsters. I have never seen an act boss drop a high rune. Of course they do probably drop runes better but runes are so rare you won't notice this.

Another thing is that Diabloii.net lists that you will find 7881 els for every sol you find. Sol is probably the medium level rune I found most often. I think I found 5 in 3 weeks(I just started playing again) but I don't think I also cubed 39405 els to elds in those 3 weeks. If I have to gamble I would say you will find 500 els for every sol.

If you need a rune then your best bet would be to trade. there are 33 runes, the chance you find exactly that high level rune you were looking for is very small.

The most important thing is to always be on the lookout for runes. Since runes are white you have a chance to miss them if you aren't careful(does anyone else thing runes should be gold? Since they are the rarest items in the games). Especially in games with other people. Monsters drop more items and if a vex drops between 8 people then you better see it first.

9. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

In fact, this isn't true, by quite some margin. The only runes worth cubing up to Zod are Jah and Cham, anything lower and you are wasting them. In the time it takes to find enough runes below Pul to cube a Zod, you could have found 165 Zods, if you were hunting in an area a Zod can drop.
    The rune cubing formulae are to some poor person who finds two Mals when he wants an Ist, not for making Zods out of Els.

Actually they list you find 7881 Sols for every Zod. And 144,238 Els for every Zod. Which is about 18 Els per Sol.
    However, those numbers are for 1.09. The ratios have changed quite noticeably in 1.10.

10. Gundam

Gundam IncGamers Member

I never used it (so I might be wrong), but I thought that that was one of the 'benefits' of using maphack. I always thought that runes should be a seperate color, try cyan or majenta for instance... it irks me somewhat that some cheesy maphack user is going to beat me to the good stuff everytime.

11. Bakerking31

Bakerking31 IncGamers Member

i personally have done andy runs for mf ... mainly cause i can do it in 20 secs, and she has dropped me 2 shakos, 2 skullders, and 2 sojs so far ... but she also drops runes quite often ... i have got 1 ist, 1 mal, and 2 um's from her ... if you can run her fast then it may be worth trying some runs ... i do about 75-100 runs a night, and usually will get 1 mid lvl rune and some pretty good items ... with 550+%mf

12. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Do you mean that ordinary monsters in these areas can drop a Zod or that Champions (2 levels higher) or Mini Bosses and their minions (3 levels higher) can drop them? If it is the ordinary monsters in a level 82 area does that mean that champions and bosses in lower areas could also drop a Zod?

13. Ivor Adella

Ivor Adella IncGamers Member

>>Countess Running (Highest Rune = Lo)

Probably the most popular rune location. The countess can be found on the lowest level of the forgotten tower, in the black marsh. She has a guaranteed rune drop, so every time you kill her she will drop at least one rune. She is a favourite for rune upgrading (discussed later)<<

Does blizzard say anywhere that the countess has a guarenteed rune drop? I'd heard this not long after starting to play the game. My brother and I started doing rune runs over and over and over to the countess. We did hundreds between us.

Most of the time she dropped 2 runes, occasionally 3.

But on one run out of all of those, she didn't drop a rune.

Also, where can we read what lvls areas are? Is the flayer jungle in hell lvl 82?

I'm really interested in the rune aspect of the game, so I'd really like to know the lvl 82 areas and above. :)

14. amishamigo

amishamigo IncGamers Member

how do you do any in 20 sec's ?!

15. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Good point. A Champion in level 79 or above, or Unique level 78 or above, will also be able to drop Zod (they only have to be level 81 to drop a Zod).

Champions and Uniques get relatively low chances of dropping runes however (but a much better chance of dropping equipment items).

The pack of minions of a unique also get the +3 mlvl bonus, so they would be able to drop a Zod in a level 79 area. Which, incidentally, is the level of Arcane Sanctuary in Hell. Minion packs of Wraiths are a great rune source.

Sort of. She has a complex drop. She gets an Item drop and a Rune drop. The Item drop has 5 potential drops (which could be virtually anything, including runes) and the Rune drop has 3 potential drops (which can only be runes). However, both drops have a no-drop chance (as do many TCs).

The chance of any one of the 3 Rune drops being "nothing" is 1/4 in a solo game (1/16 in a two player game, 0 if there are three or more players - your numbers sound like you have been playing single player games). That means there is a 1/64 chance of no runes at all in a solo game. Sounds like you were reasonably lucky not to have it happen more often, but it is still pretty rare.

There is an additional complication, if you are interested. Even though she gets potentially 5 Item drops and 3 Rune drops, she can only ever drop 6 things altogether. Which means if she drops 5 things from her Item drop (unlikely, but possible) she can only drop 1 rune from the Rune drop. After 6 she stops dropping even if she has drops left.

Because of this, you actually get more runes running the Countess in a solo game. Because you actually want her to not-drop stuff from the Item drop, so she has more drops available from her Rune drop.

16. zerokid

zerokid IncGamers Member

Damn, you sure seem to know a lot about the game! O.O

Tell me, what about Hellforge drops (smashing the soulstone, not the monsters around)? There are no minions - only runes and gems drop. It's better to do it in a game with more people so there are less chances that one of the runes "drop slots" end up being "No Drop"? Going in an act 1 game with 7 players and doing Hellforge alone is a good idea?

17. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

The Hellforge does not drop like a regular monster. It always drops one rune, and this is not affected by more or less players in the game (which is why you should always unparty before smashing the stone, so you don't all get credit for the quest but only one rune between you). If you are going to do the Hellforge alone, you might as well be in a solo game so the monsters that guard it are easier to kill.

Hell Hellforge will drop a rune between Hel and Gul inclusive, each has an equal chance (1/11).

18. Ezakimak

Ezakimak IncGamers Member

Whats the rune range for NM Hellforge?

19. GoshoHubaveca

GoshoHubaveca IncGamers Member

The runes range for NM hellforge is Sol-Um.

About the Countess, I would not recommend running her for any high level runes. If you want crafting ones (ral, amn, sol, etc) she drops those pretty often but after that it gets rarer and rarer. There's an excellent post in the Lurker Lounge about her drop chances, however I don't think I'm allowed to link to it.

Anyway, as someone said she can either drop from her rune or item TCs. However, the rune TC only goes up to Ist. According to the post, out of 5045 runes that drop, 2 will be Ist, 3 will be Mal, and the other 5040 runes will be lower ones (or none at all). If you want a rune above Ist, the drops have to come from her item class, which afaik has about as much chance as dropping the ones above that as any normal boss. Meaning, if the 2000+ runs you have to do on average to get an ist seem bad, it gets much worse afterwards.

20. Ivor Adella

Ivor Adella IncGamers Member

Cool.

Thanks guys for the info. I'm going to go look for the thread in the lurker lounge.

ummm where the heck is the lurker lounge? :D