Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Finding caves in act 1

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by sirwhere, Oct 6, 2006.

1. sirwhere

sirwhere IncGamers Member

Finding caves in act 1

Hi. Dunno if someone already posted about this, but here it goes.

I think I found a simple way to find where cave-like locations in A1 are. We're talking about the pit, underground passage, den of evil, etc. They are usually alongside the a path on the ground.

Let me explain: let's try for instance the pit. Use waypoint to outer cloister and walk back to tamoe highland. Turn automap on and, as you open the monastery gate, keep walking direction SW. You'll be following a brownish path, with green grass around it. The automap will be drawing that path while you tread it. Keep following it in the automap because it usually ends in the pit! It occasionally bifurcates south into the black marsh. If you happen to go the wrong way and reach the marsh, just turn back and follow the alternative path.

This works well to find out where caves are. Den of evil, pit, underground passage, etc. It also helps finding the countess tower, as it's usually alongside the path as well. No need for map hack! Just being a bit clever and observative can do wonders :)

I'll now try and see if I can find a pattern to reach the summoner in A2 arcane sanctuary. There seems to be a pattern in halls of pain to find the stairs to Nihlathak as well...

2. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Yep, those paths were put there by the programmers for a reason... to follow to the next area! But seriously, I too always follow the paths in Act 1, except in the Black Marsh when finding the tower. It's placed randomly each game, and not always next to a path.

Inside the tower, following the wall left of the entrance of each level usually yields the fastest route to the next level... usually.

People often ask me if I use map hack. I just tell them "No, but I know the way". (I don't use MH btw...)

Arcane Sanctuary is still a mystery to me. I still have games where I'll go down all 3 of the wrong paths. I think it's completely random.

Also, in the sewers in Act 2, the southern entrance in Lut Gholein is always closer to the stairs down.

There are a total of 3 maps for the Halls of Pain, and if you know the way from the waypoint on each map, you can run Nihlathak very fast. You should also know that in the Halls of Vaught, Nihlathak is down the opposite path of the Champion monsters.

Apparently there's also a theme to the WSK, but i've yet to stumble across it.

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Hmm, I think it's trivial to know that the pits are at the end of a branch of the road through the Tamoe Highlands. However, I would be very interested in finding out in advance which of the branches it is when coming from the Outer Cloister. :azn:

I don't understand how it should help you to find the summoner. There is no path in the Arcane Sanctum. :scratch:

BTW, the Tower Cellar is not near a path. It can be anywhere. Anyway, the tower ruins are rather huge and normally you find them by teleporting along the border of the Black March.

Apart from the champion pack, you can find out where Nihlathak is by checking the drawings at at the walls. I don't care about the wall pattern thing, but check for the champion pack.

4. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

I knew all of those except the champion monsters in halls of vaught thing. (not like its that hard to check all 4 paths on that short map) But, where do you find the champions? Are they right next to the door, or maybe in the middle of that first open area on each wing?

Never heard of the wall pattern thing down there either. Please explain.

5. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

There's also a pattern in Halls of Vaught (nihlathak). He's always in the direction where the two red eyes are painted on the middle wall.

Pattern in the tower follows the "turn left rule" If the room with the stairs up leads NW, then you turn 90 degrees left, because the room with the stairs down will always point NE in that case. Little hard to explain.

Pattern in durance 2 also follows the same rule

Pattern in catacombs 2 and WSK 2 are similar, but follow turn right rule. So you usually turn right and follow that wall because the way the rooms "point" are always set.

WSK3 has about 15-16 different maps, and it is possible to remember them by heart. A few look very similar, but those are the ones with the stairs right next to each other.

@Krischan: I really really hate your new avatar. Seriously.

6. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

They are always at the end of a path; this is fairly common knowledge.

7. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

yeah, I'm not following, sorry. I'll go check out the halls of vaught - seems simple enough. I'm lost on the "turn right/left rule". What do you mean by rooms or stairs "pointing" a certain direction?

8. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

also when running hell meph, aplly the left path rule.
    but after playing a lot in this year i just know where is the waypoint and all the next level entrance by the look of the first area

9. sirwhere

sirwhere IncGamers Member

Some of the patterns you guys mention were posted somewhere, but I never read anything about the pit paths, which is why I wrote this. Pls bear with me if this is too trivial - been 3 years away :p

By the way..
    Worldstone *seems* to follow a 'go right' path, like the maggot lair or Tal Rasha's tomb.
    Arcane is still a mystery to me as well.

10. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Turn left means: Go to the exit of the room with the waypoint, then turn left by 90 degrees. That's the direction you should look for stairs first. Turn right: well, it should be obvious :rolleyes: