Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Finding an Infinity weapon

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by TitusOostingg, Nov 7, 2006.

1. TitusOostingg

TitusOostingg IncGamers Member

Finding an Infinity weapon

I'm not that much of a newcomer, but this subforum seemed to be the best place to ask a question. Anyway, my long-time project with diablo2 is a charged bolt sorceress and she's nearing completion now; most important asset I still need is an Infinity for my merc. I want to make it myself though, and for that I need to find a good ethereal elite polearm. So I'm wondering:

- Is there any place that has the highest propability to drop such an item? Currently I'm just doing pit runs with about 300 MF but not much luck yet. (I understand that more MF makes the chance to find ethereal/regular items smaller, does it make a big difference in the chance to find an eth elite? The mf makes the runs worthwile for as long as I don't find it)

- If I find an ethereal non-socketed elite polearm, e.g. a cryptic axe, how is it possible to get 4 sockets in it? I understand one can either larzuk it or use some cube recipe, but how this exactly works I don't know.

Thanks a lot :azn:

2. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

If running for elite items, you have the best luck with 0 mf. My pit a zon never fails to find at least 2 elites everytime in pits and she is running 0 mf.

If str reqs is not an issue try hunting for an Eth CV. But it has a requirement of 200 str, even when eth. Good news is that it always spawn 4 sockets.

3. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

If you have an Etheral (non-Superior) weapon, you can use the Horadric Cube formula (I'll post a linky). It can't get more than the maximum number of sockets. Basically, the game chooses a random number between 1 and 6, and gives it that many. If the number is too high, it goes down until it's a valid number...

So if you use it on a Cryptic Axe, which can have 5 sockets, you have a 1/6 chance to get 1 socket, 1/6 for 2, 1/6 for 3, 1/6 for 4, 1/6 for 5, and 1/6 for 6, but the 6 cannot spawn, so it would round down to 5, which basically means 2/6 for 5 sockets...

All in all, a pretty large gamble. Larzuk will always give the maximum number of sockets for a white or Ethereal item, so Eth CVs are good because you can just use Larzuk. CA's are worth more, just because they have a slightly higher average damage and a far lower strench requirement, but they are far harder to get with 4 sockets...

4. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Right from Arreat Summit: ( no need for link anymore! :p)
    Thats your shot.

Cryptic Axes have maximum of 5, so 1/6 chance there.
    Your safest bet would be a Colussus voulge, since they have max 4 sockets, and get so by larzuk socketing.

Larzuking a normal item gives the maximum number of sockets possible, as long as the item is high enough ilvl (usually, dont bother, but dont socket any low quality items)
    So larzuking a Cryptic Axe would give 5 sockets. Larzuking a great poleaxe would give it 6, etc.

5. TitusOostingg

Exactly the explanation I was looking for, the socketing part is clear now, thanks.

So I take it there is no area that is most likely to yield elite polearms?

6. LorveN

About the area to find them, your best bet would probably be either cows (if you can handle it quick enough), the pits, or just sweeping the ground in all baalruns you see. You need to be quick though, since most people also want to pick those things up.

7. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Any high level place with a high density of monsters you can clear quickly. Cows, Pits, and Chaos Sanc are my favorite places.

8. TitusOostingg

Another question: how much, after making the runeword, does the 'ethereality' matter? As I've just found a 4 socketed cryptic axe but have no room at all to stash it. Is it useable for making infinity?

9. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Etherealness adds 50% to the base damage of a weapon, which could mean a pretty sizeable damage difference in the end if a runeword with high ED% is stuck inside it. For your non-eth 4 soc cryptic axe, I'd just stick an Insight into it, and wait for an ethereal polearm for the Infinity.

10. LorveN

An ethereal weapon does 50% more damage, but can not be repaired. If you want it on a merc, ethereal polearm basically means 50% more damage.
    Also, 50% is a lot.

11. TitusOostingg

well yeah, then it's indeed best to wait for an ethereal one, as it's for my merc. Good idea about the insight - I was already using one for my merc, but that's on a grim scythe, didn't occur to me to turn the cryptic into one:idea:

Thanks for the quick help.

12. fahartle

fahartle IncGamers Member

Many of us design entire characters around socketable hunting. My light sorc would do pretty well in cows, but she's packed full of magic find gear (so what would be normal or eth items get turned into magic, rare, etc...). Bowazons or Light Javazons are great choices for running cows and other high density monster areas as their high end gear doesn't tend to have much magic find on it.

P.S. I'm gathering that you don't want to trade for an eth Colossus Voulge? They're not hard to find and usually go for a Pul or an Um (or maybe 25 gems or so on USEast).

P.P.S. Oh, and don't worry about the str req on the Colossus Voulge. Eth brings it down to 200 and many great merc helms have a boost as well (Andariel's Visage, for example). With Andy's you can slap on an eth CV nice and early.

13. TitusOostingg

The strength is no problem, as my merc wears duriel's shell and andy visage.

I could trade for an empty cv or an already assembled infinity, but somehow this is an item I want to put together myself :smiley: