Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Find Item Barb... The ultimate rune finder?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by crazy_bear, Mar 17, 2004.

1. crazy_bear

crazy_bear IncGamers Member

Find Item Barb... The ultimate rune finder?

Hmmm I was wondering, does the find item drop give the same odds of a rune as a regular drop?

If so, since the Find Item can get up to over 50% of corpses giving drops... I was thinking about using a barb in the flayer jungle... a couple of heart carvers on switch and a +3 to find item helm. I think this might be the fastest possible way to get large numbers of high mlvl corpses to hork quickly, and half would give a drop.
    Those items alone would give +11 to Find Item (even regular echoing weapons would give +9 total), and any barb that gets there would most likely have more +skills elsewhere. With the diminishing returns on Find Item, you wouldn't even to invest many base points there,maybe just 1 with the right gear. And looking for runes, you wouldn't be worried about the drop in MF%.

Has anybody tried this?

Just wondering if it would work.

Comments?

2. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

Where is this new trend coming from for rune finding in the flayer jungle??? Just wondering what if any hard facts their are for rune finding to be more productive in the flayer jungle.

3. XaviarGangrel

XaviarGangrel IncGamers Member

I've found alot of Runes in the jungles, I think its not really that they are more likely to drop, per monster... its just cos theres more monsters there, hordes of the little dudes, and they die fairly fast and have reasonable levels to drop runes.

4. SincereX13

Right, but two things...

1. Those same little guys are in the WSK and man I haven't found a single good rune in the keep itself (found and Ohm from one of Baal's minions though)...

2. this isn't the first time I have heard the flayer jungle mention in the past two days or so, so I was just wondering if this was a new proven hotspot or just some mere hype.

5. crazy_bear

crazy_bear IncGamers Member

Remember finding runes is a product of killing thousands of monsters. So unless you've spent A LOT of time in WSK then the odds are pretty low. (on your Baal runs do you clear the WSK?)

Flayers are also harder to kill in the WSK if I remember correctly, because they get beefed up to be guest monsters.

On the other hand, in the flayer jungle there are thousands of flayers, they have low hp and so can be dispatched quickly. Few if any phys. immunes are found in the Jungle too.

So this thing about the flayer jungle is just about finding a place with a lot of monsters that can be killed quickly. Other areas (like cows or WSK) have just as many monsters packed in, but tend to be much more dangerous.

But not all runes can be found from Flayers, which is the downside. (Can't get Cham or Zod if I remember right)

6. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

even beefed up flayers are still really easy to kill. i think the difference comes in that most people don't play the WSK at players 8 because it is too dangerous whereas the flayer jungle could be done at any level and still be easy. its just not worth it to me though, i hate that damn place... well, it might be OK with a wind druid.

7. farting bob

farting bob Banned

you cant get zod from anything, its a myth :lol:
    and yea, the odds arent great, but if you kill everyhting inthe flayer jungle, your going to find 1 rune sometime. just blast them all with frozen orb or something (20 dead in 2 seconds doesnt sound bad)

8. SincereX13

I guess my point/question was if they statistically have a better chance to drop runes or not (kind of like how all wraiths do etc )... If it's more just b/c you can kill a lot easily on P8 then it would seem to make as much sense just to run the Pit on P8, b/c at least their you have a chance to find every item in the game.

9. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

I also think that since find item is the same as another monster drop, you might as well go with a standard sorc or something. In the time it takes for you to hork all the monsters, you could have cleared the flayer jungle another time.

10. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

I agree; the barb is better suited to small packs/single monsters; 1.09 Meph, Pindle, Baal and the tunnels all suit him; places with corners to help set up the packs is good also.

For flayers, a Wind druid is great; if only I'd gotten my HC one past Act II Hell...

Steve

11. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

true, mine has a piece of cake in act 3, he just walks by and everything fells dead on the ground, but the only notable runes i found in flayer jungle were 2 ums and a mal... so nothing REALLY uber...

i think wsk2 is my kind of thing ;) i really hate those pesky little dudes that spit blowdarts towards you... esp when there are 30+ off them :grrr:

12. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

i´d prefer a strafer or winddruid in the jungles over a barb any day!

13. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

The Flayer Jungle and Great Marsh (Gloams...I think they have increased rune drop) are easy to run at p8 with most AoE characters. I think RoF/CS probably is the better place to run for highest lvl runes. I go there for the little popping sounds...I like to pop that packing material too.

14. farting bob

farting bob Banned

gloams dont have better chance to drop runes, thats wraith kind of monsters (the flying things that are always in the arcane sanctuary and there brothers in a1 and 2 mainly). and i agree, a good sorc can clear the jungles twice as fast as a arb can, and since most of the bodies wont re-drop (unless you get really hgih find item lvls, but then it stil will be low) the sorc wil overall get more bodies that can drop runes.

15. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Gloams, Wraiths and those manadrainer ghosts from act 4 all have 4x runedrops

16. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

*cough*Rune Race*cough*

We all wish to know where the best chance to get runes are. I want to gather a legit set of runes so I have been looking for the best place to get them.

I am hinting towards the countess and the tower since there are ghost type creatures in there also. And as an added bonus you get the countess lower lvl runes each run. I average 2 runes a run on the countess.

Zod's by the way can drop from any monster greater then mlvl 69 IIRC. So basically anything past act 1 Hell can drop a Zod.

17. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

It's mlvl 81 (not 69)

--T

18. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

I didn't know the ghosts in the tower had increased chances for rune drops. Never got a rune off them before even at players 8 :(

I do a countess run each time I do a pit run as well killing all the ghosts on the way (they fall fast to charged strike!) and I normally only average 2 runes per run as well (normally not rarer than ort)

19. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

Ghosts have a horrendous NoDrop ratio so it takes a bit of luck for them to drop anything ... however, when they do, they have a good chance at runes.

--T