Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

find item a good skill?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by MFdoom, Mar 12, 2004.

1. MFdoom

MFdoom IncGamers Member

find item a good skill?

has anyone here ever tried find item? i have made as many barbs as i have any other characters put together but have never tried find item since my 1st character, which was the month the origional d2 was released, so i have no idea, sorry for not posting this in the barbarian forums but this forums just soo much better :worship:

2. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

just put 1 skill point in it and get some weapons with mf on your switch, my mf barb has a dual ali baba on his switch and i occasionly get a good rare, or unique from a "find item" also know as a "hork"

yup, its a good skill, a 1 point wonder :thumbsbup:

robin

3. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

4. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

Find Item a good skill? Find Item is a *great skill*. I know a lot of magic finding barbs in 1.10 aim for level 24 Find Item, which gives a 50+% of getting a second drop. Lots of extra items, very little extra work. For best results, put a couple of Ali Babas or Gulls on your weapon switch, and change to them before horking.

Chris

5. tentpeg

tentpeg IncGamers Member

Find item rocks, I max it for my mf barbs.

53% chance for an extra drop is awesome, especially with an extra 300% mf from ali babas

6. kissthis

kissthis IncGamers Member

Well I don't know who said that, but maybe you misunderstood it. FI does NOT give an identical drop. It gives you a second chance...hump dead bodies and another drop can occur.

FI is one of the best skills a barb has, right up there with Battle Orders, imho. I try to get lvl 12 or 13 anyway, that gives 45% chance to find. I have found soooo much good stuff when humping corpses (yah yah I know people call it horking, but I just can't get the meaning of that, it just sounds sooo corny lol...so I call it humping thankuverymuch). And gold...tons and tons of gold. Should always use FI on a champion or boss, at the very least. I've humped up great uniques from normal monsters too though.

I prefer only about 9 or 10 actual points in FI, the rest from +skills items. I don't max it cuz 44 or 45% you get great humping power, and I like to use the other skills in damage skills, more important now than ever with this dum 1.10 patch. If you aren't lucky enough to have dual alibabas in your weapon switch, just find a Heart Carver, it adds +4 to find item. Heart Carver and gull dagger will do a lot for you on the weapon switch.

Yep...if yer gonna be a serious barb MFer then it's essential to get that up to the 40's. Not really necessary til you get up in late NM or early hell to have it to that. Survival skills first, you will have your whole life to MF after you get into higher levels. Get it...use it...it's great!

7. intrigue762

intrigue762 IncGamers Member

Lol, i think I like that better.

8. anonymite

anonymite IncGamers Member

Definitely a great skill, but there's heavy diminishing returns after you hit the mid-40%'s. If you have +skill items, you can afford to only point 5 or so points into it and have the + to skills take care of the rest. If you can afford more, though it definitely helps. Considering also that you can use the skill on Pindle, it's like make two pindle runs, get one pindle run free- which lets the barb run pindle faster than just about anyone else.

The key is to use it consistently, because it'll be at least twice as hard to find a good item with find item than with a regular kill. Still, if you use it consistently, it's almost like being able to make MF runs 50% faster.

9. ShriekingWillow

ShriekingWillow IncGamers Member

It really depends on if you plan on using the Barb for a lot of Magic Finding or not, and where you plan to run him. Find Item is probably most useful on a Pindle runner, and secondly on a Lvl 85 runner for Horking the bosses and Champions. It's typically not worth it to Hork every single monster you kill, though with dual Ali Baba's on the switch Horking every mob is a good way to get rich quick. If you're not a big fan of MF runs I wouldn't bother with it. Basically you either have dual Ali Baba's on the switch for an Item hunter, or Echoing weapons on the switch for regular play.

I had 49% find item on my IK Barb that I recently did 4000+ pindle runs with. And I would say at least 4 of my TC 87 weapon uniques were from Horking ( found about 10 total if you count failed unique Mythical Swords ). Maybe more...after a hundred or so runs you're doing it without paying attention and sometimes Horking before hitting Alt to see what the first drop was.

On other thing about Find Item, if you're planning on investing heavily into it, you'll want to remove all cold damage from your Barb and his Merc. Though Uniques and Champions won't shatter as much as regular mobs ( they get chilled but don't freeze...maybe their % chance to shatter is the same, I dunno... ) it's always disappointing when they do shatter. I had to take the Reaper's Toll off my Merc as I was losing too many Pindle corpses, and I love a Reaper's Toll merc.

10. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove IncGamers Member

FI is actually the argument for mfing with the barb being the best character for that purpose, at least imo. once you'll try it, you know... i have also a 45% from items to FI as stated early above, thinking that further kick above that mark isn't so much productive. in the recently pindle bashing, i horked a Sacred Armor and a Sacred Armor. what do u think? the funny thing is that a Sacred Armor was horked from a pindle minion. so, you got to try it to see. i can't imagine a mf dude without it anymore.

peace, NSK factory, and don't forget biscuits for smut

11. tentpeg

tentpeg IncGamers Member

If you are serious about making a mf barb, then you'll want at least lvl 22 or 24. Its not like the skill points are really needed elsewhere, and the more you play the character, the more that extra 7/8% chance will help.

At 45% every 100 pindle runs will yield ~145 drops, while at 53% you get ~153 drops from the same time period. It might not sound too impressive, but if you clock up 10000 runs with the barb, then it is worth it.