Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Finally Understanding the Burdens of Parenthood

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Stoutwood, May 3, 2005.

1. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

Finally Understanding the Burdens of Parenthood

I recently bought my younger brother a .22 rifle. It's a neat design, for those of you interested it's a Walther G22 . I know some of you may have differing opinions, but my family is a bunch of hunters. Anyway my brother took Hunter's Safety, so he's good to go, and in fact he's getting interested in shooting at a much older age than I did (I was 12). I've never seen him do anything unsafe, and he's a very intelligent kid, but I can't help but worry about him. I mean, it's still dangerous and all (even though the fact that he's smoking and is also a recovering cancer patient is probably more dangerous).

I have gained a new respect for my parents. They must have been worried about me all the time since I had three guns by the time I was his age. The fact that they trusted me and put their doubts aside makes me realize how good they were to me when I was growing up. There's no point to this story, just my personal reflections.

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Good for him, shooting is a fun pastime and hunting can be really great.

For the record I am 16 have 2 shotguns, 3 .22s, a .50 cal Civil War Replica Pistol, a 38 and two .22 pistols. My dad has a few more.

Guns are fun when used properly. Shooting Pepsi cans a 200 yards with an M1 Garand on campouts can't be beat. That thing is a beast.

3. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

Did they even have .50 caliber rounds during the Civil War? :Scratch:

4. Stoutwood

Yes. Most black powder weapons were/are .50 caliber or higher. The slower velocities demand a larger bullet to damage a target.

5. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Yeah, most muskets are .50 cal IIRC. It is a big pistol and it hurts to shoot it, not to mention the load time. Not something I would want to do with people out to kill me.

Caliber is just the size of the bullet, todays .50cal is the same size in diameter but much more powerful.

6. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

i use my bare hands to hunt my prey.

so hungry...

7. Stoutwood

I would have expected you to use a PPK or a gun built into a suitcase.

8. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

Just curious, how old is your brother? When I was 12 I was intrested in the new Power Ranger series, and trying to get as much girls as possible to give me a kiss on the cheeck (don't ask :uhhuh: ). The last thing I wanted was a real gun, so I'm kinda wondering how old your brother is :)

HoD

9. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Your still under-aged tho. A pistol is something a parent should'nt give a kid...and I dont care if you are mature at 16 or not. Does your state law admit this?
    I understand the replica..but not guns that are concealable.
    I just looked at my post...man I'm becoming a dick. Well I'm looking at your post thru my parent-like eyes..and right now I dont like it. But if my state allowed a child permits to handguns, and hes was mature and trusted VERY well at 16, then by all means yes.

10. Stoutwood

He's almost 16.

11. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Well, I just bought my daughter a bow recently. We are an archery family. Now that is something that we love to do, and I don't have the same kind of fear for my kids that I do with firearms (though I have a couple of rifles in storage, too.)

Good starting post, Stoutwood.

12. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I don't have immediate access to them. They are locked in a steel cabinet that weighs a few hundred pounds, it would take a while to get into even with a plasma torch. The replica, since it can't stored loaded, would be such a hassle to load up(takes like 20 minutes) that I couldn't use it out of rage. Besides the thing nearly takes my arm off when its at full load. It is pretty cool to see a 10 inch hole in the back of a tree you shot though.

As for carry laws, only 1000 or so people have applied for it in Missouri and most were denied due to criminal records. I will probably do it when I turn 21 just because it is easier to transport guns around if you have one. IE, if you get pulled over by a cop and have them in your back seat inside the case.

I do have access to my axes(martial arts) which I would prefer to a gun in case someone broke into our house anyway, its kinda hard to kill someone with a hand ax when they are 15 feet away and scare you.

13. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng IncGamers Member

Duddeeee...yer a mom!