Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Finally got scammed

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Cooked, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Cooked

Cooked IncGamers Member

Finally got scammed

Was trading for Annihilus charm and ended up with the Soulstone. I don't trade much and wasn't paying attention like I should. Lost a lot of Ladder high runes and gained a lesson. Not a good trade but...oh well.

*uk_leet was the scammer.

But to all of you who got "taken" in times past .. it can happen to anyone if it can happen to me so don't feel bad.

Think I will give the game a "rest" for a few weeks though. Just to annoyed at myself to play. Ha! And I don't even drink, so no excuse there either.

2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

This guy isn't a forum member is he?

3. Cooked

Cooked IncGamers Member

It was a channel trade so no idea; unlikely though. Never had trouble here though I generally tend to be careful here too.

4. MapleBarb

MapleBarb IncGamers Member

sorry about your loss :(

5. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

Not to be a dick but this is your own fault. There are plenty of people out there looking to scam others and this is like the most used scamming routine they do. If I where to trade alot of high level runes I would sure as hell make sure I got what I payed for.

6. Psycho§omatic

Psycho§omatic Banned

Yeah, I did the same thing. I was trading a Jah (that i knew was duped because when he traded he told me to perm and get rid of it soon) for an Enigma. I was in the trade window, he asked for some Pgems (duuuur, red flag) and when I clicked except I SAW, worst of all, SAw it wasn't Enigma anymore but I couldn't cancel quick enough he alread had me. His name was *Cheese2005 on USEast-L. You win some, you lose some.

7. Evrae Altana

Space bar-instantly closes all ingame windows (skills, stats, inventory, stash, trade screen, etc.). :tongue:

8. Psycho§omatic

Psycho§omatic Banned

Well, I know that for sure now lol. Bastard got me, I've seen that one a million times. I guess Karma comes back to you, I use to scam 2 years back but I quit cause I felt bad screwing people over all the time lol. Sewer scam, palace scam, A5, trade window....yeah, it came back to me lol.

9. Cooked

Cooked IncGamers Member

Don't worry about being a "dick." As I said in the post I don't trade much and wasn't paying attention.

Mostly this post is to let others know what to look for and to know it can happen to anyone.

Maplebarb ah. thanks, no worries here :)

Psyco. He said "let me talk to my friend" and closed the trade window (time to make the switch.) Red flag. NOW I know it was a red flag anyway.

Evrae. sometimes we hit space when we are trying for the Alt key. It does close all. Thanks for the tip though. Helps to know everything about this game.

10. SicHalo

SicHalo IncGamers Member

yeah the funniest one that happened to me was when tradding for a shako, i was not paying much attention and the person swapped it for a gemmed war hat so it looked like the shako but had a emerald in it to take colour.

It pretty smart what ppl come up with to con ppl..

Just make sure to double check in the trade window and if they rush to click accept make sure u check properly.

11. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Even if he were, you would need a proof of some kind to get him banned. Providing such a proof can be a problem or outright impossible. Just telling that you got scammed isn't enough.

12. rata

rata IncGamers Member

anyhows, it doesn't take long to recover from a few lost HR's. HR's are all over the place these days...the economy is really wrecked. we really need a reset soon:shocked:

13. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Always remember to mouse over before trading.

i got scammed before and lost a soj.

14. NarmoTheArapino

NarmoTheArapino IncGamers Member

'Nuff said.

15. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

The funny thing is that scammers always have names like xXg0dlY_roxXorZ_leetXx...
    Wth, do they really think they're leet by scamming people :shocked: :badteeth: ?!...

16. HardyTarget

HardyTarget IncGamers Member

I had the same thing happen to me some years ago, but not for anything valuable.
    The scam works because people don't expect others to be *that* keen on getting free, even if it was the lowest of items.

Sorry for your loss, but it's not the end of the world.

17. MapleBarb

MapleBarb IncGamers Member

absolutely. otherwise they wouldnt do it

18. WebDragon

WebDragon IncGamers Member

Sorry for your loss bud. As for tips, let's just say that I don't remember the last time I clicked the accept arrow before the guy I'm trading with. I wait, let him click, check all the items, including any variables if there are any (swapping a 20 mara for a 30 mara for example) and then click when I'm satisfied.

I've actually lost some trades over the years because I got stubborn and didn't click and the other guy didn't want to click first either, but its a small price to pay.

19. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

Sorry for your bad trade cooked.Theres plenty of bad eggs out there looking to hustle someone in a trade.Personally I think its more interesting with them :evil: Iam very suspicious though.

Its kinda fun catching people out on there switch trades.For those who are'nt so careful I suggest checking the trade screen three times before clicking accept and NOT getting excited over that better than ordinary trade:wink:

Thats one thing I didnt know.. although hopefully I will never need.....you learn things all the time reading these forums.:thumbsup:

20. Evrae Altana

You're right. I once got scammed out of a pair of Magefists. I was like what the hell, who's desparate enough to scam Magefists? :shocked: