Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Finally done (pics of my new pally)

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Sip, May 10, 2005.

1. Sip

Sip Banned

Finally done (pics of my new pally)

So i have been working like mofo to get all the stuff together for this paladin i wanted to make. I wanted to make one that not only had good physical damage, But elemental too. I chose to acquire the following gear:

Dream bone visage|Dream pally rondache|Fortitude great hauberk|Beast Berserker axe|20/238ar raven|4ml/6LL/12 dex/21 fr rare ring|33/15% verdungos|9%/+15str draculs|Gore riders|highlords wrath|+3 combat shield/+3 pally skill scepter for wep switch.

I maxed Salvation, Conviction, res light, put some points in zeal and holy shield and the rest into sacrifice.

Trading for all these nice items was really frustrating, and i probably couldnt have done it without several really key trades and lucky finds. I self assembled the shield (made in self-found 42% res all 3 socket sup pally shield), the armor (15% sup great hauberk) and the zerker axe. Here are some screenies i took right after i got a feel for him. :)

http://img16.echo.cx/img16/8253/screenshot0060nt.jpg
    http://img16.echo.cx/img16/5442/screenshot0208ke.jpg
    http://img16.echo.cx/img16/4997/screenshot0287yh.jpg
    http://img16.echo.cx/img16/1930/screenshot0307di.jpg
    http://img16.echo.cx/img16/5948/screenshot0269zu.jpg
    http://img16.echo.cx/img16/598/screenshot0331mn.jpg
    http://img16.echo.cx/img16/3770/screenshot0108aa.jpg

Let me just say I'm very proud of this character, and he is very fun to play.
    If you have any comments, questions or angry threats...feel free to post them here. ;)

2. GodObelisk

GodObelisk IncGamers Member

Nice pala... except that if u made the fort armor in AP, ur pala will look nicer in graphic :D
    But nevertheless still a master piece of yours

3. LuckyDwarf

LuckyDwarf IncGamers Member

Let me test drive him! PWWWWEEEASEE!

Lucky

4. VaN_haMMerSteIn

VaN_haMMerSteIn IncGamers Member

I don't get it, does he get all those Auras at once?

5. LuckyDwarf

Yes, he gets a high level conviction, which is on his right click, a level 30 Holy Shock, from the helm + shield added together, and a decent level Fanaticism from his Beast weapon. I wouldn't doubt it if he'll go with a might merc with the Conc runeword weapon for him. :)

Lucky

6. ADSL

ADSL IncGamers Member

Looks like a fun pala, but i would probaly prefered a grief phaseblade over the beast. the dmg added with fana cant make up for the ekstra dmg with grief i assume. but then again more auras give style point and style points over killing power for a pvm char.

7. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Beast for Bear transform.

Massive Def boost and Life boost.

You need the Fanat then for a decent attack speed.

What's the stats in Bear form exactly ?

8. Sip

Sip Banned

I have close to 3k life in bear form. The attack speed is pretty fast too.

The main reason i chose beast over grief was because of the additional attack speed that fanat would give me. I feel Ias is important for crushing blow and lit damage. I think i will keep other weapons in my stash though.

9. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

And defense is... 15k or so ?

10. Sip

Sip Banned

11. sahlakh

sahlakh IncGamers Member

I didn't know the auras from runewords stacked (since they don't normaly stack)... is this confirmed info or perhaps some display bug?

I agree that Grief phase blade would have been a better choice. Not only it adds loads of damage (plus venom, deadly) but it's also indestructible, which is essential for this type of PvM build. Repairing that beast zerker all the time must be annoying as hell.

Maximum style points though. :)

12. LuckyDwarf

Auras don't stack when they all come from once source, however, in Sips case, each runeword supplies a different aura. But, if you're speaking of the two Dream runewords and their 2 +15 to Holy Shocks, they stack as well and it's confirmed, although I have to say, I don't know why. Perhaps while it reads, "Level 15 Holy Shock Aura When Equipped," it actually gives +15 Holy Shock aura, and since both runewords are essentially the same, it just takes both into account when equiping the aura. Hope you can make sense of that.

Lucky

13. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Aura while equipped items could be better written as:
    +15 to 'Holy Shock while equipped'
    with 'Holy Shock while equipped' being one skill all by itself and seperate from the skill Holy Shock, then of course just sub numbers/skill names for items other than dream.

14. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Just 2k AR ? o_O

15. VaN_haMMerSteIn

VaN_haMMerSteIn IncGamers Member

I was under the impression that if you are a certain class, and you are granted a large ammount to a single skill from an item you can only get +3 from it.
    E.G: If you are a barb and you use HoTo, you can only get +3 BO from it...

16. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

I assume you meant CtA, not HotO.

That's an interesting point. I mean it obviously doesn't look like it from your dmg window, but shouldn't you only get +6 total to Holy Shock because you're a paladin?

And that's just sick how you can still retain your Conviction aura while in wereform...

17. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

That's actually the first thing I noticed too. To his credit, a high level conviction greatly reduces enemy defense.

I'd still pick grief, not only does it have ITD but ALSO -%enemy def for bosses. If money was no object, an alternative setup could be:

Equipment:

Grief PB (huge damage, good speed)
    Fortitude plate (huge damage)
    Dream helmet and shield (lvl 30 shock)
    Highlords+Gores for 50% DS
    Raven, 2nd ring, belt and gloves of choice (i'd do LoHs, ML ring and string of ears)

Merc:
    Might w/ Infinity thresher
    w/e armor and helm you wish (i'd do duress+gaze)

Skill Investment:
    Max Fana, your main aura (speed, dmg, AR)
    Max synergy for holyshock (just light resist IIRC)
    Max HS, for defense and to get that dream blocking better
    Max whatever else you want... (sacrifice for damage? zeal for ar? i forget what does what for paladins)

This will still list the same holy shock damage, with a slight drop in -resists from a lower level conviction (still a lot of -resist though). However, your total damage I bet is much higher just because of griefs higher base, innate DS and AR improving mods.

I have a werebear that works on similar principles: get huge physical damage from gear selection, and huge elemental damage from skill selection:

Gear: Grief/Fort/might merc/pride thresher/gores+highlords, lots of SS skillers
    Skills: Max Lyc, Max Fireclaws, Max Firestorm, Max boulder, rest into maul, 1 pt sage, 1 pt shockwave.

Charged up, he does about 6K physical damage and 6K fire (thats average, and it has a TIGHT range), with 70% or so DS. He has 8K AR, which could be much higher if I prebuffed with demonlimb and selected some AR charms (inventory not full yet). Plus, his attacks stun because of maul! He lists about 10K defense iirc. He's not quite done but almost there.

Many of the new runewords open up some really interesting melee builds, if you are willing to compromise and trade to get them. :mad:

18. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

It's NOT +15 to 'holy shock'
    It's essentially +15 to 'holy shock aura is on you while equipped'
    If it was +15 to holy shock and not paladin only (IE same as CTA) then you would need to keep the aura on right click for all classes.

19. Oxy

Oxy IncGamers Member

By the way, Sip, what have you done with my charms? Are those mine? :]

And to Valar and the others in the other thread:

I've been doing work for various BW sites... organizing high-level tournaments and such.

20. HelzCaretaker

HelzCaretaker IncGamers Member

conviction greatly reduces monster defense so high ar isn't necessary, hell even my characters with aweful attack ratting hit nicely. The thing with grief+fort is you're ed from fort does basically nothing. 300% ed on a 35 dmg wpn = 105 more total dmg, quite pathetic. If he were to use grief then there would be a lot of better options for armor. Beast allows for extra aura which helps merc (if he has 1) + ias for zeal is enhanced more by fanat then regular ias.