Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

final game character selection screen?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by fromtheshadow, Apr 17, 2011.

1. fromtheshadow

fromtheshadow Diabloii.Net Member

final game character selection screen?

do you guys think the final games character selection screen will be like it is in the demos or will they make something pre-rendered like they did for D2?

I think the character selection screen in the demos is good, but a pre-rendered selection screen would make it much more flashy. plus we would get an idea of what the characters would look like if they were in one of the cinematic

so i m for pre-rendered. what about you guys?

2. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: final game character selection screen?

By all means, let us want it even more flashy ;)

Anyway, upon the new toon selection screen, I prefer the classes to look as generic/dull as possible.
    Upon the choosing of your toon I want it to look detailedly exactly as the gear he/she has on.

3. fromtheshadow

I think it's important they make character selection screen as flashy as possible, cause it excites you to play the game.

i remember the first time i played D2, i was blown away by the character selection screen. it made each character look so cool.

I think they should match that with today's standard and make a really cool pre rendered char selection.

4. Varquynne

Varquynne Diabloii.Net Member

I liked the Diablo 2 character select screen. I remember being fairly impressed when I first saw it - especially after seeing blue flame emanate from the necromancer upon clicking on him. That alone almost swayed me to pick him as my first character, but I tend to lean toward playing melee characters.

I like the character select screen as seen in the demos. Particularly, the fact that they show the armor/weapons that each character has equipped. I'm not sure about going with a pre-rendered approach in Diablo 3, though. Maybe for the screen where you're making a new character - then at the screen where you select the specific characters that you've created it looks more like the select screen in the demos. With @Diablo's tweets saying that they've done away with the camera zoom, I'd like to have at least one screen where I can appreciate somewhat close-up how my character looks with their individual gear on.

EDIT: Directed response for clarity.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  5. fromtheshadow

I actually was thinking of the same thing. when you make a new character select them from a pre-rendered screen. but once you have started the game and saved, the next time you want to resume your previous character he/she would be displayed with the gear you had on in game last time.

this is more or less how it was done in D2.

6. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

...And that isn't what I said....

Please my fellow forummers, read before you write, my post wasn't even of biblical proportions.

7. Neinball

Neinball <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a> and<

I liked the little flair elements in the D2 selection screen. The assassin did some kicks, the necromancers was really impressive with the spirit channel thingie, and my most memorable one has to be the barbarian. I still remember the first time I installed the game and was looking at all the different characters when I selected the barbarian, he stepped out, and I almost fell out of my chair when his shout almost blew out my speakers.

I'm hoping we haven't seen the final iteration of the character select screen and they have some little quirk to them when selected that acts like a "Look here, play me!" emote.

8. Varquynne

Varquynne Diabloii.Net Member

I was replying to the OP, not you? I saw your suggestion. As fromtheshadow said, what I opined on was essentially the way that D2 had it - but, essentially, I want to see a larger model to appreciate item details.

9. Leugi

Leugi Diabloii.Net Member

I don't think it will be pre-rendered.... But it will probably have higher polied models with more detail...

I mean, Blizz can do that for Starcraft 2 portraits, they can do it for a nice selection screen..

10. Flux

Flux Administrator

I think we'll get a more elaborate background. Not just the chars standing in a desert, or an empty forest.

[​IMG]

IIRC we didn't see the full D2 char selection until the final game, and there was much excitement at how cool they were standing around the campfire, with the animation of them stepping forward, etc.

11. fromtheshadow

12. palwe

palwe Diabloii.Net Member

chances are it will be something like that tyrael render.