Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Final Fantasy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by frozenmagic, Feb 29, 2004.

1. frozenmagic

frozenmagic IncGamers Member

Final Fantasy

did anyone buy the new final fantasy game called chrystal chronicles?

2. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Oh... kay. :scratch:

*beats Frozenmagic with a large trout*

3. frozenmagic

frozenmagic IncGamers Member

changed topic ;) hehehehehehe

4. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

I'm curious too. I've been thinking about getting it but am wavering because my friends and I usually play pencil and paper rpgs rather than computer games and because I'm short on funds.

5. a3d

a3d IncGamers Member

I own it.

It's very cool. It's a change of pace from regular RPGs.
    And it's addictive, I've logged 60+ hours so far.
    Much more fun multiplayer.

The big drawback is the gameboys required to play multiplayer.
    Other than that it's all good.

6. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Basically...if you play by yourself its an okay game...

But, you hook up 4 GBA's (which is a shameless marketing scam for Nintendo) you can control each person separately and use the GBA as your inventory or equipment or whatever

Yea, and i've heard its a differnt change of pace for sure as it is a free-for-all and you just run anywhere you want trying to collect the crystal "juice"

7. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

Is it only gonna be released on Gamecube, cuz i really dont think im gonna buy one just for that game.

8. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Gamecube only I believe, as it requires GBA...wonder if its gonna be as good as the last time Square and Nintendo combined...to make Mario RPG...

9. ragnar_ii

It actually requires GBA? I thought that was just a way to play it multiplayer.

10. AgentOrange

AgentOrange IncGamers Member

Nah, I didn't. I already play FF11 and that's enough MMORPG for me.

11. ragnar_ii

how is ff11?

12. Captain-Dorf

Captain-Dorf IncGamers Member

As far as Final Fantasy goes it not great. As a stand alone it’s an alright game, it just doesn’t live up to the other FF titles. Well. It’s better than X-2 but then again I would rather stuff a live wolverine down my pants then have to play that.

That having been said, Crystal Chronicles is allot like Kingdom Hearts, only with the addition of an annoying bucket carrying chicken beast they call a Moogle. No really, i'm not making this up. You have a weird Satan rooster following you around with a pail. What’s worse the damn thing can't die. It just follows you around and from time to time complains about the bucket being heavy. The bucket itself seems to be something like a magical thermos of the ages. It exudes a circle that is almost, but not quite the size of the screen. You have to stay within this circle or you start to take damage. The only thing I can figure is that your character is easily dehydrated.

As if having to put up with the foul fowl wasn’t bad enough, you lose him in multiplayer but you still have to worry about the damn bucket. This means that one of the members of the team is force to play pee boy and follow the rest of the gang around carrying the stupid thing. What’s worse, while you’re carrying the bucket you can't attack, and you move slower. This causes everyone else on your team to have to slow down as well to avoid taking damage. Very annoying.

At the end of very stage you get a letter from your parents demanding that you send them some god-forsaken fruit you found on your travels or they will disown you and turn your bedroom into the fitness center mom always wanted. You don't even get to keep the spells that you find; you lose them after each dungeon. And, on multiplayer, in order to fuse them to make more powerful spells you and a teammate are forced to try and time it exactly right (While getting the crap kicked out of you by amused monsters) so that you both cast the spell in the same spot at the same time, and pray the monster didn’t move.

The chars are somewhat lacking as well. My first complaint is that they all either look like little girls (no offense meant to the ladies out there, but when your going off to fight for the world, every now and then a guy wants to look like a Bad-***. Not like Jill who was on her way to the hill when a chicken stole her bucket.) Or they look like oddly proportioned beasties with oversized helmets. On top of actually selecting your char you also have to name the town you are from and what your parents do for a living. (My butch hero was a guy from Philly who answered to the name Rocko. It just so happened that he looked like a blonde little girl and his parents were tailors)

Once you select your character it goes even further down hill. You find out that the char you chose makes absolutely no difference down the road, because they all end up basically the same. Also (as far as I know) you can never change from your first, goofy, outfit. You can change the way your weapon looks, but that’s about it.

So, all in all, it’s a let down to me as a Final Fantasy title. I am just a little bit tired of trying to battle back the minions of darkness using a char who looks like a hormonally imbalanced 8 year old with a rooster as a companion. If you liked Kingdom Hearts you will probably like this. However, if you were looking for something a bit more adult then saving the world while writing home to Mommy and Daddy via Demon Chicken delivery service, you might want to find another game.

13. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

yeah that sounds about right. I don't have it but I watched a friend play. Square's days are numbered in my book. (keep in mind ff6 was the last game where the men had manly haircuts). I think square's last badass was Auron. For some reason I don't think we will be able to enjoy watching bahamut ruin villiages of monsters anymore, its just turning into a bunch of pansies.

14. Jonas

Jonas IncGamers Member

WHAT THE...FF11 is out already?

Damn, why doesn't anyone tell me anything anymore? :rant: That's it. People working at Gamestop are officially stupid.

I'm getting the game on computer now that I have actually HEARD about it.

Edit: I have to agree that the men in the last Final Fantasy titles have been a bunch of pansies, as Dave said. People like Tidus in FFX are supposed to get all the girls, because he was "sensitive," "cute," and had hair that defied gravity. But then they stick in another character who never wears a shirt, and apparently that's "manly" enough for the game.

15. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

The game is made in Japan after all. Why are you guys acting surprised?

16. MegaCharger

MegaCharger IncGamers Member

Gamecube + 4 GBA + the game itself to get the maximum fun, that's like $500 down the drain...

17. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Take Cid (ff7) for example. He didn't take **** from anyone. He told people to **** off like it was nothing, and he still had girls all over his nuts 24/7. Then you got Cloud, who was a bit dramatic but he still ruined. Do you think a pansy like Tidus ever could have scored the likes of Tifa?? Hell no. 8,9,10 pissed me off. Dorky looking emo poons like Squall could have been such a badass he if had told riona to shut up and make him a sandwich every now and then. Then you got tidus. He's got hottest broad in Yevon begging for his nuts and all he does is scratch his head wearing his stupid yellow shorts. What do you think Sabin would have done in a situatoin like that? Play some blitzball?? hell no. He would have been like "Shut up and make me a sandwich!! You think you got summons on me??? I'll aurabolt your *** like you were the phantom train".

18. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Wow.How you manage to get a girl is beyond me.

Anyway...it's not even a final fantasy game. It's just some crappy wannabe rpg with some final fantasy characters and themes stuck into it so that all the idiots can buy it. Stupid Square-soft.

19. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

Hahahaha, I just didn't want to say anything. Funny stuff, Carnage. :lol:

20. OddBall70123

OddBall70123 IncGamers Member

Its not Squaresoft anymore its Square-Enix