Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

'Film(s) of the week' thread. (13/6/5)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KnightFall, Jun 13, 2005.

1. KnightFall

KnightFall IncGamers Member

'Film(s) of the week' thread. (13/6/5)

Shaking this thread up a little from now on. It's going to be general film talk and still what you've seen this last week.

I've actually seen some really good films this week...

Sin City - Absolutly brilliant film, the imigary was awesome and the violence even better. :)
    The Last Samuri - Another really good film, good story and looked fantastic.

So what have you seen this week?

KnightFall

2. DaviddeJong

DaviddeJong IncGamers Member

Yeah the Last Samourai was great, I'm going to see Sin City tonight! I'm looking forward to it!

Let's see, I've only seen Monster (crappy!) and Lost in Translation (even worse!).

Oh, and Dumb and Dumber (again!).

David.

3. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Close Your Eyes - British film, a thriller with Goran Visjnic. Pretty simple film, but definitely a plot I hadn't seen before. Worth seeing if there's nothing else you want to see.

The Machinist - You've heard actors claiming about the sacrifices they make for their films? Christian Bale is 6'2", and he dropped his weight to 119 lbs for this film. He was a SKELETON! Awesome movie, very trippy and bizarre. You had no idea what was real and what was in his head throughout the whole thing. Definitely recommed this one.

The Vanishing - The original Dutch/French version. We've gotten so used to seeing movies with crazy action, CG, and camera tricks. This was released in 1988, and it's nothing but plot. Magnificently written and filmed. It makes you kind of lost until you realize the chronology of the scenes. Very very good. And it's got one of those "normal" sociopath bad guys that makes you suspicious of everyone. Recommend this one too.

4. DaviddeJong

The Vanishing (Spoorloos in Dutch)! That's a golden oldie! Great film!

David.

5. KnightFall

I think I might have to go and see Sin City at the cinema too. It was awesome on a small screen so on the massive one it would be amazing...

Edit : Just remembered another film I watched...
    Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Quite good but not as good as I hoped it was going to be. I watched it at 6:30 am after a mad night out and wasn't in the best frame of mind to watch a film so it might take another watch to see for sure.

KnightFall

6. Eff

Eff Banned

the cup- awesome movie about indian kids in monk school who really like soccer
    the girl next door- heh

7. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Mr and Mrs Smith. Angelina Jolie in a dominatrix costume=nuff said.

Good movie though. Fun stuff.

8. KnightFall

Hehe! If the story line and dialog was rubbish that would still redeem the film! :D

One of the guys I work with just bought it from some dodgy girl selling pirates round our estate. Will have to borrow it from him I think...

KnightFall

9. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Troy,
    not bad at all..enjoyed it. Also learned a few new things, which is also a good thing. :thumbsup:

10. Carnage-DVS

Troy was full of crap. Did not follow Homer's story at all. Don't watch it if you are hoping to learn something.

11. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

i saw Napoleon Dynamite, do i have to tell you more?
    and i have some comments on some of the movies you mentioned:
    troy-didn't like it at all, as carnage said it doesn't follow homer's story, brad pitt so totally sucked. only orlando bloom's char fitted :lol:
    the last samurai-really bad movie IMO, didn't like it at all.
    ill probably see sincity soon and i hope is good as you say

12. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

Return of the Jedi

that's about it, gonna see RotS again tonight, my sister hasn't seen it yet

Batman on wednesday

13. CyberHawk

Well I tend to research stuff when I watch movies like this..and true some of it was Hollywood, but some of it is based on info from the net that I found matched. But they left out so much more that I thought woulda be cool if added.
    Like the Amazon warrior chick that Achilles had a thing for..then killed her in the Trojan battle. And of course the reason why Achilles was known for only 1 mortal body part..and why. You know as the mother dipped him in the river of Synx(sp?) was it? She held only his ankle therefore his only mortal spot. And being that Paris killed him, maybe he "aimed" for the ankle instead of looking like an accident. Maybe in real life this was the shot he was looking for. They shoulda added that in this movie.
    And also I thought Achilles died before the Trojan Horse was let in the gates..but I'm not 100% on this..and couldn't find anything to tell me otherwise so..who knows.
    I'm glad they still make movies like this..even tho the facts may or may not be totally true...it lets me research to see what "really" happened.
    Tho there doesn't seem to be to much info on the net that tells me what I want to know unless I buy the book..and I aint going to do that....yet.

14. Carnage-DVS

Yup. Achilles did die before the storming of Troy. They should have renamed the movie to "How Achilles and a bunch of Greeks stormed Troy and took it over".

15. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

plus paris isn't the one who kills achilles, achilles should be killed by the best arcger in the town and paris deffinetely is not the best archer around.

16. CyberHawk

Thank you, I was hopeing you answered some of my questions..and that was one I was pretty sure about..and was FREAKIN out about saying.."what the hell...he should be dead alrdy...what the hell is going on!" lol
    And yes I totally agree on this movie shoulda been names Achilles..instead of Troy..it was all based around him..and yet missed out on so much, and got stuff out of whack. But hopefully those who watch it want to learn more..and learn more of what really happened. Like I did.

Well I dont want to get this thread to far out of focus, so lets continue on I rekon...
    you know that "Helen of Troy" seemed more focus...oh ok, moving on, ;)

17. DaviddeJong

I just watched Sin City, what an awesome movie!!!

SPOILERS:

Man I haven't seen that much blood in a movie since....... ehm.. I've never seen more blood flow than in this one! I think the longest period in the movie without anyone getting killed was about 5 minutes!!!

END SPOILERS:

Good stuff.

David.

EDIT: CyberHawk, it was the river Styx.

18. BeefChunks

BeefChunks IncGamers Member

I saw Sin City a few weeks ago, and didn't like it as much as I hoped I would.

19. DaviddeJong

It was pretty "different" from normal action-movies.... Some people like that "comicbook-feel" to it, others don't..... I enjoyed it, pretty sick, twisted plots!

David.