Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Few things on classic...

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Barl, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Barl

Barl IncGamers Member

Few things on classic...

I just started classic, after I got tired of playing xpac. The example in most of these will be a hammerdin, seeing as I just started one a few days ago. A few questions:

1) cLvl 99 - Can you actually to get to lvl 99 in classic? Or is it simply impossible? If not, would it take too long and people simply don't bother?

2) I've noticed that your character's resists are only lowered to -50 in hell. I know this by no means indicates that Classic is easier, being as there are less sanctuary-esque items with a ton of resists. However, If I made, say, a hammerdin, would resists be more important in hell than defense? Or should I try to get both as high as posible? Or high resists, and a good to-block percentage such as gskin or heavenly garb and a ward?

3) What about life? I was talking to a friend who plays classic, and he says that a hammerdin should have a lot of life ("a lot" is never defined), and mana is not too important. This makes sense to some degree, however, am I to assume that if I am immersed in enemies in hell a4, (this is my main objective, to survive/excel in hell/act 4) that I would want to kill them as fast as possible?

4) Should a hammerdin have a lot of fhr, like the melee character builds?

5) How much fcr is the least required and/or recommended?

That's it for now. Thanks in advance.

[Edit: Fixed a misspelling]

2. eggo

eggo IncGamers Member

1) Never seen one.
    2) Both is good, especially Fire resistance. Defense is important, but it doesn't affect your casting when you get hit.
    3) I have 1127 HP (290 vitality and maybe some items) on my Hammerdin..I have to say it's not enough, it maybe because I lack high defense, but with a BO, I can make it through Hell CS no problem.
    4) I don't really think FHR is necessary since, even when you get hit, you can continue casting.
    5) I have 40 FCR, it's decent but doesn't kill as quick as 70+FCR, I'm thinking about switching my +2/10FCR scepter for a Shard, since I'm sure the speed would make up for damage..

So that's all I have to say, wow that took me long to type lol.

3. Zodijackyl

Zodijackyl IncGamers Member

1. I believe there have been two level 99 chars on USEast, both 1.09, a barb named "Swordmasters" and an amazon named "Sharp-Arrows", who someone with access to the account deleted.
    2/3. Max resistances for PvM. Stack resistances for PvP. Although many people disagree with me, defense is useless on hdins really, considering all the players who use -40 duped ornates claim it's to tank barb WW's, yet near every barb uses angelic rings+ammy for enough AR to overcome and amount of defense. Also, the -50 resistances is harder to meet than -100 in xpac, because there are no overpowered generic "GOD" items in classic (only sorcs can teleport, only barbs can bo and ww). For a hammerdin I would go with goldskin for armor, except the 80 str req is a bit high. The most base strength I think is acceptable on a hammerdin is 55, and the rest goes to vit, not energy or dex. Items give dex for shard, not base. You should have all vit minus 30-35 points in strength. I'm too lazy to remember how much "alot" of life is, but you should have more life than the 1400 on my level 85 fballer. Also remember, DEXTERITY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BLOCKING ON CLASSIC. The amount of block stated on a shield is what you get, nothing lower. Twitchthroe increases this 25%, and Holy Shield does is also.
    4. You should have some fhr, I believe the first breakpoint is around 22. 24fhr rare armor works for this, but getting closer to 50 would be better if you plan to solo CS. 17 fhr from a shield, 10 from a helm 24 from a belt, and you're set. you can also get 10 from boots, more from armor, so you have some freedom to switch gear around (just avoid <24 fhr because certain situations you need some).
    5. Go for at lest 50 fcr, although 80 is nice. My ladder hdin uses shard, magefist, and an fcr ring. My ammy gives me 17 dex, and a ring adds 15dex along with tons of mana. Twitch is nice for dex for beginners, but the setups you can use are alot harder than on xpac, where you MUST use certain things to be a viable player.

Good luck, as me any questions because I'm glad to help any new classic players.

-Steve

4. Barl

Barl IncGamers Member

Re: Few Things on classic

Ok, I've got a gskin, tearhaunch and two decent fcr rings. I'm using a sword that's useless except for the +15 all res, and I've got an Etlich. All I need now is a decent ward, and a good helm. But, unfortunately for my hammerdin, I'll need to use a 3 amythyst +30 str helm for now, to get my strength high enough for gskin. I agree with the strength max, and I'll only put it to 55. The char's only lvl 18 as of now. How do you suggest lvling him up quickly?

5. SwampBox

SwampBox IncGamers Member

the highest level possible is probably 96-97.

6. PetePizza

PetePizza IncGamers Member

I'd run Travical or CS or even just quest in a big group until level 20. Then jump into cow games until you stop leveling each game (27-30). Then rush through Nightmare but don't kill diablo, if only to see the listing of NM games. Run NM cows and CS (and andi or trav/meph) until about level 60. At least that's my plan for my Milabrega hammerdin--level 29 right now. Perhaps a bit conservative, but I like to be the one leading in my games and not just leeching exp.

7. DougDadyUsWest

DougDadyUsWest IncGamers Member

In response

In response to question 1) It is possable to get to lv 99 in classic, but it is much more difficult for classic characters in 1.10 to get there than in 1.09. In version 1.09, for example, you could gain 1 million exp per 16 cs runs approximately at lvl 98. In version 1.10, at lvl 93 you gain about that much exp. I've talked to a few of the lvl 96's on sccl and they say it takes about 60-65 cs runs for a million exp. And each time you gain a lvl you need to do more and more cs runs to get each million. so while it is possable to get to lvl 99 in classic, it would require thousands of hours of play time and it is probably impossable to acheive in one ladder season (even one as long as this). I have experimented with Soloing D kills in full games with experience shrine, and this makes for a lot faster lvling up. So... a team of dedicated levelers MAY be able to get to 97 or higher, but it is very unlikely that anyone could get 99 on classic... just because it would require so much work.

2 & 3)If you plan on being able to survive... you will want to max your resists, as well as have some extra fire resists over the 75 cutoff point, because Lower Resists is a common cast in Chaos Sanctuary, and if you only have +125% Fire Resists and you get lower resist cast on you, your now going to take immesnse elemental damage, and the Venom Lord seal is especially dangerous without 75% or more fire resis. In my opinion, Defense is a luxury that is not worth worrying about unless you already have "a lot" of hit points ( this should be over 3,000 with BO) My paladin in classic has 4,314 hit points with Battle orders (lv 31)...and he still needs the Juv potions in his belt :)

4) don't worry about fhr on a paladin. Again, it is something of a luxury, much like defense, but the main things you need to worry about are resists, blocking %, and life. With holy shield your block will be 75% with pretty much any shield, so that's not as big of a worry as the other two.

5) I think it's easiest to use shard for the 50fcr. the next breakpoint is 80fcr for a pally.

SOME ADVICE: when i started over this ladder season with no items, I found that an easy and effective combination is twitch + ward and whatever rares you can find for other items. You will mainly be looking for +% resists on rings/amulet/helm/boot/belt and gloves...Paladins are actually not as gear dependent as other classes, as all they need is +life and +resists...the +life isn't as important at lower levels of the game, so focus on finding + resists... Twitch has +10 str/dex, 20 saved stat points for down the road, as well as increased block until you lvl up holy shield. Ward is a great shield for pally because he can add %to block with holy shield...I was able to solo hell cs without BO quite easily, with something around 1400 hps at lvl 80. I also saved up many stats that could be added to vitality because of twitch's 10str and dex.

8. DougDadyUsWest

DougDadyUsWest IncGamers Member

mask of horror unique mask adds 20str (I believe its 20str) and 15 resists all... much better option than a 3 amythyst in my opinion.

9. Murrogh

Murrogh IncGamers Member

mask of horror only adds 10 to all resists. In some cases it is better but if you really need 30 str a 3sock is better.

I use cathans and 3sock masks sometimes until I get to lvl 50 for +20str belts and ammies.