Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Few quick questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Brendy_Babe, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Brendy_Babe

Brendy_Babe IncGamers Member

Few quick questions

hey guys ive started playin D2 again from a long break, neways ive got a few qustions about 1.10 and id love it if they can be answered.

1. Does playersX still work?

2. Where is 'the pit' that many people go 2 for mf?

Thanks in advance.

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

1. Yup. You need to add a slash before the command: /players 8 and so forth. Your character will say "players set to 8" to let you know that the command has taken effect.

2. It's in the Tamoe Highlands, Act I, Hell.

Welcome back to the game!

3. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

Welcome! :howdy:
    To answer your questions:

1) yes playersX still works but now you type "/players X" where X is the # between 1-8.

2) The Pits are in the Tamoe Highland right after the Black Marsh and right befor the Outer Cloister in act 1. Only worth Mfing there in Hell BTW.

Anyways good luck and have fun! :thumbsup:

-Pb

EDIT: Blast, Durf beat me to the punch.

4. Brendy_Babe

Brendy_Babe IncGamers Member

thanks for the replies.. it really helped. I just made a concentration barb to start off with and i was wondering why players8 wasn't workin :(

5. Baal

Baal IncGamers Member

this is a pretty useless post (my post that is), but i'll do it anyway

i noticed if you mistype "/players 8" for something higher than 8 - like "players /81" automatically takes the first number, so it goes with the 8 still... i don't know why i'm wasting people's time by posting this ;) i wonder if it works with all the #'s, so "/players 34" would become "/players 3".

6. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

i think anything above /players 8 automatically sets it to 8. meaning /players 34 would set it to 8 players.

7. MFdoom

MFdoom IncGamers Member

ive also noticed that if you just type /players it sets it to 1, saving you all the time of pressing the space bar and 1 key :idea:

8. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

due to all your question being answered... Welcome to the SPF :wave:

robin

9. Kronos

Kronos IncGamers Member

I'm still new to 1.10, could someone tell me just how good the Hell pits are for MF? Aka, what items can drop, and their rarity? I'm used to mostly Meph runs for good drops, with perhaps Bloody runs for good exp/rares/more common uniques.

10. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

euhm ANYTHNG can drop in the pit :thumbsup: and i mean every item in the game, thats why everybody is running the pits...

good luck :lol:

robin

11. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

*delurk*

wrong the cow king set can not drop there, otherwise your right.

12. Kronos

Kronos IncGamers Member

So let me get this straight - the pit in Tamoe Highland, Hell is, to all intents and purposes, filled with dozens and dozens of 1.09 Pindleskins, with a nice golden chest at the end as a side perk? I mean, i know they won't drop like Superuniques, but still...

Nice :thumbsup:

13. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

By the by /players 8 can be entered as /players8 also with out the space.

Welcome to the forum Brendy!

and welcome back to the addiction we call D2.

14. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

That's about the size of it, Kronos. As I understand it, there are two factors that determine if a monster can drop a given item- the item's quality level (qlvl), which must be no greater than the monster's level (mlvl), and the 'treasure class' of the item, with every item base type (like 'breast plate' or 'colossus blade') in the game having a specific TC (each TC typically contains a selection of items).

When you kill a monster (or pop a chest/barrel/corpse/urn/etc; these have a 'level' which functions as the mlvl in the equation), the game first determines how many items, if any, will drop. Once it determines there will be at least one item dropped, then, for each item, it randomly picks a TC, then picks an item from that TC. Magic find gear has absolutely no effect in determining this, which is why you still see low-level items drop in Hell MF runs.

Once the item is determined, MF will factor in, if it is an applicable type. For example, if the game picks a rune or potion, MF will have no effect, as these do not come in different magical types; only their base types differ. This is also why MF did not affect charms in previous versions, as charms could only be blue; there were no unique ones, and still are no rare/set ones. If the item type allows it, MF tips the odds that it will be higher quality, in the order of low-quality (ie 'cracked' or 'crude'), normal, superior/socketed, magical, rare, and set/unique (I believe Arreat Summit claims sets and uniques have the same drop odds, but I'm not so sure). Then, if it determines a rare or lesser drop, it then rolls the mods, and note mlvl factors in here- it determines the allowable range of mods. You won't see the 'cruel' prefix from a drop in Normal Blood Moor, for example. The item then drops to the ground.

If it is set or unique, it is a bit more involved. First, it determines the exact item. In most cases, there is only one of each base type, with rings and amulets being the most notable exception. In the event there are more than one items of that type, say Lightsabre vs. Azurewrath, each has its own probability, which is why you see Lightsabre a lot more often- of the unique phase blades, it has much higher drop odds. After determining the item, it checks the qlvl against the mlvl to see if the monster is allowed to drop it. If so, the item drops. If not, it rolls the mods for a rare of that type, and gives it triple (I think) durability (for a failed unique drop), or a magic item with double durability (for a failed set item).

What all this boils down to is that the bosses in the pit can drop from any TC in the game (except the Cow King's Leathers set, which I expect has its own TC), and have mlvls high enough to drop an item of any qlvl, meaning they can drop anything. The catch is that monsters have slim chances to drop from the upper range of TCs that they are allowed to. See, each TC is actually a number; I believe the max is 78 or some such, with the TCs for various categories being different. I believe if a monster can drop from 'TCxx Armor', it can also drop from 'TCxx Weapon', 'TCxx Runes', and so on, though. Coupled with the fact that act bosses are more likely to drop uniques/sets than superunique monsters, which are in turn more likely to drop them than random unique monsters, you get lower odds than you would from, say, Hell Baal. The advantage is that there are a lot of random bosses and champions in the Pits (and other similar 'Level 85' areas, like River of Flame in Hell) that have the potential to drop anything in the game, so by killing a lot of bosses very quickly, you might have better luck than a much harder act boss that takes longer to get to, much less kill. Much of this depends on your build, too. A sorcy with Teleport (or any character with Tele, for that matter) can reach act bosses so much faster, and thus benefits less than the WW barb who carves a swath through the denizens of the pit.

Whew. That was another long-winded explanation. Get used to it; I usually type long messages. While I believe I got the general idea right, I'm sure there are a few points that some eagle-eyed forum veterans are going to correct me on, so check back for more accurate information from them. :)

15. jwilliams152000

jwilliams152000 IncGamers Member

Welcome back to D2. Its like smoking you can quit...but you never really quit! But anyway among me and my friends around campus we enjoy calling D2 "crack". god its so addicting and yet so beautiful :yep: . sorry that was weird but anywho have fun!