Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Few questions about first SP char.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Nevius, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Nevius

Nevius IncGamers Member

Few questions about first SP char.

Well I made my first real single player character and it is a meteorb sorc, appropriately named Sorcy. My good old Sorcy and I have taken our time and cleared normal and nightmare on /p 8 and now are having trouble on /p 1 hell. As this is my first char it is untwinked and I am looking for any suggestions of possible upgrades.

Character name : Sorcy
    Character type : Sorceress
    Character level : 81

Strength : 148(with gear it is 160 for spirit monarch. A charm raised it.)
    Energy : 35
    Dexterity : 25
    Vitality : 282
    Stat Points Rem : 0
    Skill Points Rem: 0

Life : 912 / 704
    Mana : 449 / 195

Hell resis
    Fire: -70%
    Cold: -13%
    Lightning: 62%
    Poison: 75%

Gear:

Head: "Lore" in a cap
    Amulet: Telling of the beads
    Weapon: "Spirit" crystal sword. Crappy 25% FCR
    Body: "Stealth" Quilted Armor
    Shield: "Spirit" 35% FCR(first roll :thumbup:)
    Gloves: Magefist
    Ring: Dwarf star
    Belt: Goldwrap
    Ring: random +strength FCR
    Boots: Dual res, mf boots
    Charms: Random assortment, mostly +life

Merc:

Head: Crown of the Thieves
    Weapon: "Insight" Poleaxe(been running pits for 4 days looking for an upgrade)
    Body: Random +Strength for that ever elusive eth CV

What I have been trying to do is upgrade my merc's weapon. I have only been able to find white CA's and have been trying to cube them but have had no luck. As of now, my merc is less of a tank than a balloon is.

P.S.

I did get one stroke of luck.

2. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

Re: Few questions about first SP char.

The obvious first thing is your resistances. A negative 70 will get your arse handed to you on a regular basis in hell. Get the up asap, you can sacrifice the poison resist a bit. I might be better to run NM Meph for a while to get some better equipment. What is your skill placement? What gold SA did the drop turn out to be? Will Tommy and Sue ever get together again? And who really cares anyway?

3. Grapeape

Grapeape IncGamers Member

Resist's could use quite a bit of attention, cheap ways of getting them up would be to either make a smoke runeword (nef lum pretty cheap) and gamble up some rare rings with resists and whatever other stats you need, or an um'd vipermagi would help your resists aswell... although im guessing you dont have one. also some resist SC's can be a big help, a night smoke belt could help with resists aswell has +10 resist all... no MF though. like thenix said MF NM mephy till you can get some decent items... i would also throw some andy runs in the mix... might get lucky with an SOJ drop ;)

you could also upgrade your merc weapon to a thrasher or partizan... although you wouldn't see that much of a damage increase, i would personally get a better armor for your merc and make insight in a cryptic axe... the different between CV and CA's damage isn't going to be game breaking honestly, and a better armor would help him in the actual tanking of things department.

anyway those are my suggestions hope they help.

4. sylecn

sylecn IncGamers Member

I suggest MF NM Meph too.
    Try to get skin of vipi and the oculus. Both have good resist, +skills, and FCR.

5. TemplarRoadkill

TemplarRoadkill IncGamers Member

Are you trying to get around untwinked? i mean you can get shako/viper and a nice res ammy for a 10-20 pgm each just by trading around :) also some base ofr a eth insight or some nice eth base for lionheart/duress for merc just for couble of pgms!

second, you didnt clear what kind of build your using? Making a meteorb or a blizzballer are the easiest way to get around hell without a decent merc gear since he wont be able to tank properly!

anyway i suggest you get to act 3 and give a few thousand run to Lower kurast and get some nice runes there so you can finish a proper char to get start MF sround :)

got very nice runes there in just 2000 runs now! (including Vex, Lo and Ber ) for runs under a 40sec only :)

6. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

What exactly are the issues you're having? You're Fire Res is obviously a big problem. Typically, people try and keep Lightning and Fire Res maxed through Hell. I understand that's tough since you're untwinked, but those two resistances should take top priority. Are you still in Act 1 Hell? Andy should be easy to take down since she has low Fire Resistance. Running NM Meph for Occy and SotV would be a good idea, but you could probably get by with waiting to get to Hell Meph.

7. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Your gear is fine (other than fire resist), life is fine, mana is fine. You neglected to mention skills! My guess is that you only put 20 into orb and none into synergy/mastery so you are basically a fire sorc with immunity problems. I would balance the fire damage / cold damage a bit better.

The dwarf star / other ring are doing you no good (assuming I added up fcr correctly, 105 is the breakpoint). That could get you easily 60 fire resist from 2 rare rings.

People already mentioned the Vipermagi, and while you are looking for that you will find a Rockstopper, put that on as it has some really good mods for you, much better imo than +1 skill.

I would also ditch the insight. There are many better merc weapons that will keep him alive, and you have a nice enough pool of mana that developing a little (mana) pot addiction will cure mana problems enough.

8. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

+1 letting us know your skill placement and what you're having problems with. Great use of the runewords (I remember using Lore many, many years ago!). Fire res is definitely a problem. Sorc's have an FCR breakpoint at 65%, and you're at 90 - you could drop the magefists for some res-boosting gloves (30% of one element is easy to get; look for rares /w two elements with res north of 25%) and gamble for an FCR ring /w + res. \

Good luck! (PS - I recommend staying untwinked for your first SP character (or your first couple). You will better appreciate the game, develop better "Oh shiat!" skills and get a better understanding of gear and skill interaction.

9. iomanip

iomanip IncGamers Member

smoke or 4s armor with rals/thuls for resists until viper decides to drop. Untwinked and struggling = the best!

peace!
    /iomanip

10. xxnothing

xxnothing IncGamers Member

+1 on the Smoke runeword. When I first started playing SP (all self found) my first character was a Blizz-Chain Lightning sorc. She finished Hell wearing Smoke, Lore, Spirit, all easy-to-make runewords. I had to wait awhile for the Monarch for Spirit, but up to that point I used whatever other shield was handy.
    Once you can run Andy and Meph for awhile you'll be able to really fill out your gear.

11. TemplarRoadkill

TemplarRoadkill IncGamers Member

Smoke + twin Spirits and if nothing elsoe come, Lore on the hat FTW :)