Few questions about 1.07

blsh

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi! First, thanks for all the guides I have read here so far, they are all very useful. I have started playing LOD again, and I am in the 1.07. It's been about 13-14 years since I last played this. I know nothing about the game more than the average. I wanted to build a Meteorb Sorceress but luckily soon discovered that 1.07 does not have synergy, so Meteorb - not good. I am level 24, currently in Kurast Bazaar. I have only allocated skill points to open new skills. I have not opened Meteor, but before I knew 1.07 doesn't have synergy I had already opened Inferno, Blaze and Fire Wall. So three skill points most likely gone. I have now played around with Blizz and it looks powerful, can't wait for the Orb. But I need to start making some decisions and start allocating skill points. Thanks to my +3 Fireball Orb which I luckily found, I am still in no serious trouble, but I need to start dealing damage. So I will try and be more specific and ask a few questions.

1) Level 24 with 10 skill points remaining. What is the best path for Sorceress in 1.07? I have read that Static Field/Orb is murder, but is it really, when it is only focused on one element? How do I go on from here? Fireball/Orb? What to max and in what order..?

2) Horadric's Cube... I just spent 60+ Jewelry items (Rings and Amulets), to end up with a +2Mana Amulet. While during the cubing I did get a +18 MF Amulet, which I was happy to exchange for my +12MF, but that was it. I would have expected a little more from ~35 cubes. Is this normal?

So I have read quite a lot already about 1.07, the racking, TC-s and MF. What I would like to know the most is how to play a Sorceress in 1.07. Any good guides archived specifically for the Sorceress in 1.07?

Thanks!

GooberGrape

Diabloii.Net Member
To make your life simple, go cold tree. Blizzard is a good spell, frozen orb is a little buggy but also works well. Cold mastery breaks immunes if you put enough points in it, so you don't need to dual element.

Static field has no caps so it will take every non-immune enemy to a sliver of health, including act bosses. I put like 15 points in mine and it hits the whole screen.

Also you can shift-buy full rejuvs to fill your belt quickly, no reason not to have 16 full rejuvs on you at all times.

Hmm what else...MF doesn't work properly, if you need a particular item keep refilling your Lower Kurast map until you find a rack that reliably drops it (Shako armor rack for Harlequin Crest) then run that rack about a thousand times and you will have your unique Shako, that is the only reliable way to get it and yes it sucks but what else can you do.

Magic ring + sapphire (any quality) + thawing potion = chance to get MPK ring, uber ring that gives you mana when you kill a monster. Get one of these and never run out of mana again. Might take 100 tries but save all sapphires for it because it's best ring.

EDIT: oh and mercs are pretty much garbage. Get a barbarian and put store bought crap on him, he will probably get eaten by a grue anyway.

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
If you haven't yet - the 1.07 News, Info and Gossip -thread is a good read. Yes, if you plan to stay in 1.07 for a while I'd read the whole thread and take notes or save bookmarks.

It's worth it to level a character to level 8 for rolling MPK rings, that level gives best chance to 10fcr and MPK. Plain mana per kill rings shouldn't take long to roll. Those are awesome for sorc (and many others)

Pretty much what GooberGrabe said. My own 1.07 sorc is a static/orb and it worked just fine :) It's probably in no means optimally built but with those two skills and some cold mastery you can complete the game.

If you don't feel the necessity to kill everything on your way, you can just rush to quests and in the end Ancients will give massive exp.

blsh

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the replies!

To make your life simple, go cold tree. Blizzard is a good spell, frozen orb is a little buggy but also works well. Cold mastery breaks immunes if you put enough points in it, so you don't need to dual element.

Static field has no caps so it will take every non-immune enemy to a sliver of health, including act bosses. I put like 15 points in mine and it hits the whole screen.

Also you can shift-buy full rejuvs to fill your belt quickly, no reason not to have 16 full rejuvs on you at all times.

Hmm what else...MF doesn't work properly, if you need a particular item keep refilling your Lower Kurast map until you find a rack that reliably drops it (Shako armor rack for Harlequin Crest) then run that rack about a thousand times and you will have your unique Shako, that is the only reliable way to get it and yes it sucks but what else can you do.

Magic ring + sapphire (any quality) + thawing potion = chance to get MPK ring, uber ring that gives you mana when you kill a monster. Get one of these and never run out of mana again. Might take 100 tries but save all sapphires for it because it's best ring.

EDIT: oh and mercs are pretty much garbage. Get a barbarian and put store bought crap on him, he will probably get eaten by a grue anyway.
First, what exactly do you mean by what I have made bold? Overall your post doesn't sound like very good news :( I am not that into item hunting, yet, and I will probably never do 1,000 rack runs.. I currently have 140MF and I am quite happy with the drops. I have a lot of cash, gamble a lot and I have been through many set and rare items, but no uniques yet. I will keep improving my MF as I move on. Just killed Mephisto. The MPK ring though sounds interesting and I could use some extra mana since I have put no points in Energy. Do you also know if chasing the Chicken in Hell ActI to be killed by BR works in 1.07? The Annihilus charm looks very useful.

If you haven't yet - the 1.07 News, Info and Gossip -thread is a good read. Yes, if you plan to stay in 1.07 for a while I'd read the whole thread and take notes or save bookmarks.

It's worth it to level a character to level 8 for rolling MPK rings, that level gives best chance to 10fcr and MPK. Plain mana per kill rings shouldn't take long to roll. Those are awesome for sorc (and many others)

Pretty much what GooberGrabe said. My own 1.07 sorc is a static/orb and it worked just fine :) It's probably in no means optimally built but with those two skills and some cold mastery you can complete the game.

If you don't feel the necessity to kill everything on your way, you can just rush to quests and in the end Ancients will give massive exp.
I have read a few pages, but since you recommend I will take a deeper look into it! I think I will create a new character for level 8 crafting. I am sorry for my noobiness but how exactly do you 'roll' them? :p Also since I see you have experience with 1.07 Sorceresses, how exactly does the Static Field work? I don't get it.. And now I am at lvl 25.. with 10 skill points. Would you recommend to throw some points to static now? And what I would use to kill the mobs then.. I wont get the Orb before another 5 levels, meaning I can't really put skill points into Blizz or Fireball if I am not going to use them later. So no damage dealing before 30, I think I may need to fight Diablo before that.

I don't like to rush through, I go patiently, kill every mob, discover every corner, urn, barrel and so on. Found a set body item from urn in Act II. So I could see the secret cow levels and level up a little more before Diablo.. I have put 3 skill points into Fireball and with my +3 Sorc Orb, it is still doing decent damage but sure wont be enough for Diablo.

Thanks again for the replies.

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
Static takes half of enemies life with every cast. It's capped in later versions, but in 1.07 it isn't. You can get monsters left with only sliver life left, bosses too. Diablo will be easy with it: spam static until D is left with only little health (this will take only few seconds) and let the merc poke it to death or spam few fire balls. So yeah, I would add points to that. Your mana will probably be a bit low, but you can have full belt of full rejuvs like GooberGrabe explained.

"Rolling" MPK rings is actually using cube for cold res ring recipe. The recipe is thawing potion + any quality sapphire + magic ring. It makes rings with cold res as automod. Although in 1.07 it's somehow bugged so that if it rolls Triumphant prefix (+1 Mana after each Kill) the cold resistance of the ring recipe will get added to it. For example it rolls a 30 cold resistance ring with triumphant prefix, outcome would be 1+30= 31 Mana after each Kill ring. Maximum is 37 iirc. And you can get suffix too, for example 10 FCR.

So for rolling, you'll need to mule your cube to that lvl 8 char and get yourself a new.

blsh

Diabloii.Net Member
Static takes half of enemies life with every cast. It's capped in later versions, but in 1.07 it isn't. You can get monsters left with only sliver life left, bosses too. Diablo will be easy with it: spam static until D is left with only little health (this will take only few seconds) and let the merc poke it to death or spam few fire balls. So yeah, I would add points to that. Your mana will probably be a bit low, but you can have full belt of full rejuvs like GooberGrabe explained.

"Rolling" MPK rings is actually using cube for cold res ring recipe. The recipe is thawing potion + any quality sapphire + magic ring. It makes rings with cold res as automod. Although in 1.07 it's somehow bugged so that if it rolls Triumphant prefix (+1 Mana after each Kill) the cold resistance of the ring recipe will get added to it. For example it rolls a 30 cold resistance ring with triumphant prefix, outcome would be 1+30= 31 Mana after each Kill ring. Maximum is 37 iirc. And you can get suffix too, for example 10 FCR.

So for rolling, you'll need to mule your cube to that lvl 8 char and get yourself a new.
+31 after each kill, that's 1/4th of my whole mana, I need that ring now :p Have 11 Sapphires, so I might give it a try later. Thanks for all the information, I will add some points to static then. But I would also like to deal damage, not just weaken.. So I'll keep a few points for later! Right now my merc is the MVP, he has been able to one-hit all the normal creatures in Act IV so far.. I'm using an offensive lancer. I feel kinda left out of the spotlight, feeding him potions and freezing mobs.

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
I think I ended up putting some points in Nova in early normal because I felt the same way: I wanted to kill something and make things quicker. :p

Watch out for your merc in Act IV, those corpse spitter -types (Corpulents and Maw Fiends?) can actually eat your mercenary's corpse if it dies around those. Meaning you can't resurrect it anymore and you'll lost items on it.

Good luck in your 1.07 adventures!

blsh

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks a lot Grape! I just killed Diablo, solo because my merc was not wise enough for these battles and he started to cost me a lot. So i let him kick back and enjoy the show. Static is amazing, Diablo was easy. But I had huge problems with Lord de Sis, he killed me and blocked my corpse in with his minions. Without Teleport there was no way I could have returned to my body. Also many thanks to @GooberGrape for the hint on Rejuve-s, my life went a whole lot easier!

TheNix

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm glad you found your way here @blsh .

If you haven't done it already download yourself a copy of ATMA (look here in the stickies) for all your muling needed. It is a bit buggy with 1.07, but it is worth it.

blsh

Diabloii.Net Member
TheNix said:
I'm glad you found your way here blsh.

If you haven't done it already download yourself a copy of ATMA (look here in the stickies) for all your muling needed. It is a bit buggy with 1.07, but it is worth it.
I have already played around with ATMA and getting really used to it. But buggy - IDK if this is the bug, but I lost my 'Other' stash with Wirt's legg and all the random stuff I can't categorize. The stash was still there, but it was empty, and the remains were nowhere to be found. Bla*k Ma*ic!?

I played a little Act V yesterday, and I am probably going to drop my merc because he has kinda lost his pace I'd say and is starting to hurt my finances. I have decided I will do some leveling, up to 30 before I move further in Act V. I can still kill and survive solo very fine, but the progress is a little slow and too choppy for my liking.

@blsh aww now I'm getting all nostalgia'd. You've made me go back and roll a new Blizzard sorc in 1.07. See what you did :D
I am glad this brought you some rosy memories, means the patch is not as bad and you still enjoy the game. You could let me know how you go and we could compare our Sorceresses :D

So, all in all, should I go with Blizzard or Orb? In which sense is the Orb buggy? I would like to go with Orb, because that would give me another 3 levels to collect some valuable skill points. But if the Orb is flawed, I'll take the Blizzard. Some quick pros and cons maybe?

Also quick question about MF. How buggy is it in 1.07? I have read that people don't think it really makes much difference. And guys do gather MF gear, but only for specific runs and they don't wear that always. I would like to throw on my Mana gear.. so if you can share a few thought about MF in 1.07 it would be super-duper-cool. Thanks again for the support and hints! :)

Last edited:

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
orb doesn't do dmg once the orb itself starts passing through a monster... so what you want to do is aim orb to go right BESIDE packs of monsters or between two different packs. In between casts, use static field ofc. There is still a sweetspot at the end when it explodes but due to the nature of the bug it is extremely difficult to pull it off, so I would not aim for it unless you're struggling against a LI, "CI" monster with lots of life (and/or teleport which regens monster life ughhh)

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes MF it's practically worthless, although you can force Hell Act bosses to drop only uniqes with +556MF (not 100% sure about number), but the downside is that they drop from their normal Treasure Class. Then there was also a number, 300 and something to make super unique monsters drop sets. Someone can verify this for sure, I threw it from the top of my head It should be somewhere in the guides or at leas in the gossip thread.

For me the only way to abuse this was to get Ravenclaw Unique Longbow from Hell Andy, it's a great twinking weapon in later patches shooting 33(?) lvl explosion arrows.

Can't say about Orb vs Blizz, cause I've only used Orb. it worked fine for me.

GooberGrape

Diabloii.Net Member
My first 1.07 mat was an orber and she beat the game at I think 57? So it's still impressively powerful. I just prefer the animation and mechanics of blizzard better, due to the pierce bug that @pharphis just described. Either way any cold damage + cold mastery + static field = GG.

blsh

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok, I guess the Orb/Blizzard is not that essential, I'll just flip another coin. @Grape I do remember reading about the 550 and 300+ MF thing for Act bosses and Super Uniques. And the TC max was 60 something I remember, which is sad. So I assume then MF doesn't really improve the drops when I am hunting normalish. Since I am far from even 300 MF, I'll throw on my mana gear then, but keep looking for MF and store it, so that I could lure the bosses later. Thanks guys!

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
I checked those "breakpoints", it was 556% for Bosses/Uniques and 374 for Super Unique Bosses/Sets.

Didn't find the TC list for each Hell Boss with short search.. it's somewhere in the 1.07 thread. But iirc there's nothing worth to force drop from even from the later bosses (Baal/Diablo), basically normal unique items.

Max TC that any monster can even drop in 1.07 is 66. After that it's all racking. And before that too, because MF is so unreliable :)

blsh

Diabloii.Net Member
I ended up choosing Blizzard because I enjoy a simple reliable AoE and the crowd control that comes with it. Also the damage is rather impressive, compared to Orb. I have been practicing my new playing style a little bit and now I am doing Chaos Sanctuary runs for exp. and sometimes they also drop OK gems and Runes. It's literally a walk in the park, except for the missiles, Static takes care of Lord de Sis and Diablo. Now I need to get some Sapphires for the MPK ring and then I'm very ready for battle!

A whole another story is my equipment and how I'm going to use my gems/Runes, but I won't bother my head with this until it becomes inevitable.

blsh

Diabloii.Net Member
I have been reading the 1.07 gossip thread and I may start posting there once I'll make it to the end, currently at page 25.

My Sorceress is running well, probably because I made a few extra levels in Chaos Sanc. I am also clearing all maps, so that will boost my exp, currently at lvl 35. I can't imagine clearing the Act V open area maps with a melee char :p.

I had completely forgotten about resistances and I found a nice head piece and a ring, also I tweaked a little bit what I am wearing and currently I am full resistant. Feels good. Also found my first Unique, some sort of a one-handed axe, looks pretty neat. I am just about to slay Ancients, I think, and will probably finish the game in Normale mode tonight.

Regarding this I have another minor question. I have not used my Imbue, Socket or Personalize NPC 'opportunities', if I move on to NM, will I keep these or do I have to use them before I start the game in NM? So when I finally reach Hell, will I be able to Imbue 3 items, or do I need to use them all during the game mode in which they were achieved? Thanks :)

And another thing, I swap between my weapons quite a lot. If I have cast a Blizzard and swap to my Fireball weapon, will the Blizzard still make the original damage, or will it lose the +skill after I switch my weapon? Blizzard having a 3 sec. duration, just wondering.

Last edited:

Cyrax

Diabloii.Net Member
You can save those quests and use them any time you want. Only possible downside is that switching difficulties leads to losing your map on the one you're on at the time. So if you have a really good map for running a certain target, that'll be gone.