Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Few 'extra' questions about rushing...

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Head Jumper, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Head Jumper

Head Jumper IncGamers Member

Few 'extra' questions about rushing...

Ok, i've searched a lot, and i can't quite gather all the 'extra' information i need..
    Oh, and i'm slapping first who says "Use the search button"..
    So, here goes..:

1. As I managed to find it out, best version for doing Rushes is 1.09 classic? Right or wrong?
    2. Is there anything like a fast-version switcher? I think i read something somewhere about it, not sure though... And if there is, is it allowed?
    3. If you create a non-expansion character in 1.11b LOD, what version of classic will it be? 1.11b also? Or you can patch separately Clasic, separately LoD?
    4. Can you still rush in classic, in terms of not-breaking the rules?
    5. If answer to the question number 1 is 'wrong', then what's your opinion about the version?

I think that that's it.. If something else comes to my mind, i'll add question :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!
    HJ

2. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Re: Few 'extra' questions about rushing...

1) 1.09 is about twice as fast. You will, however, need to create a new rushing character for that patch.
    2) Yea, there's a version switcher. Someone will have it. Alternatively you can use different folders for different versions.
    3) 1.11b. I assume you can patch separately by using different folders.
    4) As far as I know, no rules are broken.
    5) It's right, but I prefer 1.11b.

Check the leet bookmarks page found in Thyiad's signature. There should be a 1.09 guide and a 1.11b guide to HF rushing.

[EDIT 1 and 2]

Why 1.11b? You don't have to make a new character just for rushing. Also, <Disclaimer: Prepare for limburger.> anytime you're about to finish Normal with a character, you have the option of bug rushing 7 new kids to Nightmare. Same goes for finishing Nightmare. Those are the only benefits I can see over 1.09.

Rushing in 1.09 should also grant you access to some uber cheesy beta runewords if you bring your characters up to 1.10s.

[/EDIT 1 and 2]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  3. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

Only have something to add to question 2:

The version switcher is in the bookmarks page Nagisa mentioned too. I think it's awesome and strongly recommend it, though it took me a while to figure out how to use because I'm stupid. You can also make the version switcher work pretty easily with other versions than those included when you download it. For example I made a 1.10s beta folder by installing the 1.10s patch normally and then copying all the files I needed to a \1.10s map. Anyway the version switcher is very convenient once you get it to work, I think.

4. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

"Use the Search Button"

Also read Zaliqai's/St Anger's exploits

@Fabian: showoff:tongue: should you click yes when it asks you to generate bin files?

1.09 and classic take time getting used to, but its fun:thumbsup:

5. Head Jumper

@lionheartthebrave *slap, slap!* I feel 'pimpish' now! "Who's da ...?" :french:

Thanks guys.. Only thing that remains is where can i get that version switcher? Phrozen keep? Linky? :) I'm not sure which one is of thy's links..

Oh, and btw, is there any page/thread listing all interesting *chesy* items/runewords/stuff that could be get in the previous version?

edit: Fount the link for the version switcher :) Thanks for the link, lhtb! :)

6. lionheartthebrave

7. Head Jumper

Umm, i downloaded fast switcher, and unzipped files, but one thing remains unsolved.. What about 1.11b??? Should i run my normal 1.11b icon if i want to play 1.11b chars?

8. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

lionheart,

I don't think you should. I've never tried it, at least, clicking no works fine for me.

Edit: Head Jumper, that's what I do at least. You could make a version switcher map for 1.11b though if you preferred. Open up the 1.10 map and see what files you need. Then copy each of those files from your main Diablo map (1.11b) into a new \1.11b map and add the .vbs files and that should work fine too.

9. Head Jumper

Thanks again :wink3:

@Fabian Can you send me your folder (zipped) with the 1.10s version inside, because it's probably easier to just copy it than to reinstall the whole game? :wink: I suppose the files are same, right?
    If you can, headjumper [monkey a] gmail (dot) com

10. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

I don't think that will work. I tried doing it myself, at first I got 1.10s working on my desktop so I sent that folder to my laptop where I'm doing my rushes. But when I tried to run it, I got an error message saying one or more .dll's were corrupted or something, so I had to download the 1.10s installer on my laptop and redo it all instead. I'm emailing you in a sec though, can't hurt to try.

Edit: Oh yeah the D2gfx.dll in this map is the modified one that enables you to run multiple instances of d2. If you don't want to use this, make sure to replace it with the original D2gfx.dll file.

11. Head Jumper

Folder received, ty!

Actually, i tried know for the first time just to run the game, from any of the folders, and it won't run..? First, it asks me do i want to create those bin files, and i say no, and after that asks me about the windowed mod, and it doesn't matter if it was yes or no, i tried both of them.. I can just run 1.11b, the one that i made.. Any known solutions? :undecided:

12. Fabian

Fabian IncGamers Member

Well you should tell us what was wrong. What error message did you get?

Are you sure you've set up the folders properly? That is, \Diablo II\1.10s, \Diablo II\1.07, etc. Are you sure the shortcuts you made to the .vbs file points to the right thing and the right subdirectory? Did you run RecoverFromCrash.vbs after you got your error message?

I don't think you should choose to generate bin files, I think I read it could cause issues somewhere. Sorry to hear it doesn't work though, can't think of much to help you with at this point.

13. Head Jumper

Main problem is that i don't get any error messages! What it does: I run original 'launchmodgame', vbs file, after that i receive a question about .bin files, i click 'No', asks me if i want to gun the game windowed (i tried answering both yes and no), after that i can hear my cd drive loading disc, and nothing happens. None of the error screens, or such, just remains on a desktop. I've checked the code, and it seems that all possible errors are covered with messages.. :sad2:

I dunno, but i remember i had some with running random stuff on my computer, like multimedia players, games, etc.. It can with the delphi installation, some messed up registry code, or smtng like that.. I'll check it out..

14. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

I'm having the exact same problem right now, but only with 1.05 Classic and 1.06b. These versions are not included by default in the version switcher and are also before 1.07, the version with which LoD comes. So the problem probably lies in either of these things.

PS. is it allowed to talk about this publically?

15. Merlin The Wizzard

Merlin The Wizzard IncGamers Member

I dont use a version switcher for diablo. But then again, I only recently found out there is another way for switching a computer on or off then kicking it with a steel tipped boot.

By the way, for anyone afraid of their equipment not being state of the art, this is a very good option. Might cost you a pretty penny, but with a lifespan of about a month, you can really make sure your homesystem adheres to the latest standards...

16. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

I think I just realized what the problem is; 1.05 and 1.06b are Classic only, BUUUT the game runs as Expansion, because of the D2x mpq files, regardless of the dll's and that's where things go wrong.

Does anyone know whether this is true? Does the presence of D2x mpq files define whether the game is run as Classic or Expansion?

17. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

When you install the expansion, it will upgrade your game.exe to v1.07. Well, this isn't entirely accurate; if you were running a later version of classic, it will be downgraded (and your characters will thereby become unavailable), but this doesn't sound like your problem.

To clarify, though: if you install the expansion, you cannot run pre-v1.07 sessions with that installation.

18. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

Rats. Then I will reinstall once more and have two seperate DII installations; one with > 1.07 and one < 1.07.

Thanks for the claration!

19. Head Jumper

Coincidence:smiley:
    I've just wanted to bump this thread with another question..

I managed to get some of the versions running, the problem was computer - related, but i still can't run 1.07 nor 1.10s, i dunno why. Anyway, can you run 1.09b classic with the version switcher, as well having expansion installed?

20. lionheartthebrave

Just install 1.09b LoD, and turn off the Expansion tickbox

Simple 1.09b classic method