Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fell for it

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Gates27, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Gates27

Gates27 IncGamers Member

Fell for it

Hey everyone, i just got scammed for the 1st time. I'm not asking for handouts or sympathy, i just want to show everyone why you shouldnt trust anyone unless you can totally guarantee they are who they say they are.

While in the trade forums, I was whisperered to by someone saying he knew me and to guess who he was. I asked if i knew him in real life and he said yes, so I threw out a few names of friends who said they were about to start playing again, and he said he was one of them. In retrospect, I don't know what I was thinking, but I really believed that this was him. So we go to a private game and start talking, but I still was not thinking and did not think to ask him any questions to verify his identity. We start to show each other or gear, and he asks for my account/password to check out my stuff later, and I foolishly gave it to him, truly believing at the time that this was one of my friends and teammate, who I could trust. Well it was'nt. He got control of the account for about 10 minutes and in that time made off with a full ik set, skullders, shako, a low levi, perfect chancies, and a vamp gaze. I changed the password to the account immediatly after this, and he does not have my email account name or password, so I still have the character, a 86 hammerdin, but I lost some alright gear, although I'm sure I can recover.

In hindsight, I was very foolish and fell for a fairly clever, though simple plan, as I volunteered all the info, like his name, without asking any real questions to verify his identity. I am typically very distrustful of people on bnet, but in real life I trust my friends, especially ones who are my teamates aswell, and when I thought one was online, I was happy he was there and that I would have someone to play with that I got to far ahead of myself and fell right into the scammers trap. Sorry for the longwinded post, but I hope this info helps somenone else out.

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

How sad. Ill give you some items.

3. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

Wow even ur account and password... I wouldnt even give my parents it...

4. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

I've had this happen to me in 1.09. I lost a certain ring that had some value to me, but that's about it. I only realized that this might be a scam after I gave him the ring, so I started asking him the names of his chars, and after he failed that test, I just left the game, knowing that there was no way (short of threatening to hack his account or pretending to be a blizzard employee and threatening to ban his cdkey) I was going to get it back. :(

lol, same here, Drac.

5. Bonesman

Bonesman IncGamers Member

Wow I've read alot of dumb things in here, but wow, that's all I can say is wow.

6. Gates27

Gates27 IncGamers Member

Yep, I was very, very, dumb, my fault entirely.

I dont want any items, just told the story to try to help other people from falling for the same or similar trick.

7. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

Dont worry happened to me. Lost a whole zon set up. Mine is that the guy got his account off ebay and wanted to try my items on his "naked chars." hate that scam

8. Ebuski

Ebuski IncGamers Member

Dracoy=hot, yes i hate that kinda stuff too, never fallen for one myself.. but i have a long history of losing my account.. ive lost my account a grand total of *drum roll please* 4 times! ^_^ but every time i have come out more wealthy in the end.. so i just cant WAIT to lose it all again :p, don't worry starting over was one of the funnest part, right now im kinda bored with d2 and waitin for the ladder to restart

9. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

If Jesus himself asked for my password I would say no. :lol:

I'm very sorry for your losses, Gates27. However, I'm sure you also learned a valuable lesson from all this. Never share your password with anybody.

10. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

Except Dracoy

11. Ebuski

Ebuski IncGamers Member

Only if dracoy's name is Ebu, then you should for real, everyone loves an emu ebu :\

12. conan

conan IncGamers Member

I met Jesus once.................. it was in a small bar/jail in Juarrez Mexico i think, nice guy, but i still wouldnt give him my password=)

13. Chief JB

Chief JB IncGamers Member

The only time I was ever scammed was when I first started playing and someone did that thing where they kill you so your body is on the ground, then you pick up a different item and they kill you again so your items pop out. The only thing I recall losing in that was Haemosu's (sp?) armor, which isn't even a great item, but like I said I was just starting and at the time I thought it was awesome.

14. Paladuck

Paladuck IncGamers Member

I frequently enjoy creating accounts, loading them up with empty mule characters, and then "accidently" giving my password away.

15. Bob_barker101

Bob_barker101 IncGamers Member

IT really sucks

I woke up this morning to find out i was hacked at 5:48. the 2nd time ive been hacked. I feel sorry for hackers.those little b******.

16. piggiz

piggiz IncGamers Member

I once have a very trustworthy Bnet friend for a long time who has helped me to transfer all my items. Those that I in fact dropped in the game with his presence and came back with my char, all items on ground still intact. There was once which he suddenly asked for my account password in exchange for his so that he could try on my accounts.

There was difficult for me as he has been helping me all along including rushing. But I actually turned him down. Until now, I have still glad that I have the courage to say no to him. Else, my heart will still be aching on the tot my lost acct due to misplaced trust.

17. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

So uhh.. do you realize that the people who get the accounts from you can just start botting/hacking/duping on them without fear that they'll get banned? After all, your CD-KEY is the one that's being used for those things and therefore you can be banned for their actions.

18. Gigas

Gigas IncGamers Member

Yes, you were foolish.
    No, it was not a clever plan.

19. EndTheory

EndTheory IncGamers Member

Hey Gates! Guess which immediate family member i am? Yes it's your cousin Carmichael. What is your Social Security Number btw so i can put it in my will. j/k.

It sucks that people take advantage of naive people but you have to place some of the blame in naive people.

Don't be so naive dude!!

20. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Unfortunately, battlenet has produced an environment where stealing and scamming is productive. Its sad that you can't play a game without being suspicious of everyone....