Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Feedback on My Avenger

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Poppis, May 1, 2008.

1. Poppis

Poppis IncGamers Member

Feedback on My Avenger

I decided to make one of my all time favorite paladin builds, the Avenger, and I'd like some feedback on my current gear/skills selections. There are so many nice item combinations, that I'm sure I've missed many of those, while picking my current set.

This thread became a bit longer than I first imagined, so I hope you can bear with me.

Gear:

Helm: Crown of Ages(174 Str requirement)
    Armor: "Duress" Archon plate
    Belt: Nosferatu's Coil
    Gloves: Dracul's Grasp
    Boots: War traveler
    Amulet: Highlord's Wrath
    Ring1: Raven Frost
    Ring2: rare/crafted(at least 6% Mana Leech and +19 Str)
    Weapon: "Breath of the Dying" Ethereal Berserker Axe
    Shield: Herald of Zakarum(upped)
    Switch: "Call to Arms" Flail + "Spirit" shield
    Charms: Annihilus, Hellfire Torch, 2 x 8% fhr large charms, 5 combat skillers

Stats assuming Torch and Anni are perfect base(modified):

STR: 25(155 + 19 str from rare ring for a total of 174 for Crown of Ages)
    DEX: 54(144 = max block at lvl 99)
    VIT: 496(596)[not sure if I did the maths right, but anyway rest of the points go into vitality]
    NRG: 15(85)

Skills: base(modified)

Defensive Auras 40 points:
    10(19) Resist Fire
    10(19) Resist Cold
    20(29) Resist Lightning

Offensive Auras 21 points:
    1(10) Might
    1(10) Holy Fire
    1(10) Thorns
    1(10) Holy Freeze
    1(10) Sanctuary
    16(25) Conviction

Combat Skills 27 points:
    1(17) Sacrifice
    1(17) Holy Bolt
    1(17) Smite
    1(17) Zeal
    1(17) Charge
    20(36) Vengeance
    1(17) Blessed Hammer
    1(17) Holy Shield

Now this leaves me with 22 unused skill points. Now the obvious place to put them would be of course Fire and Cold Resist, but I was wondering whether Redemption is worth the cost. It would take 6 skill points to get level 1 Redemption so that would leave only 16 points for the Vengeance synergys. On the other hand, since I'm not planing on wearing Enigma, Vigor aura(one of Redemptions pre-reqs) seems a lot more attractive to me. So what do you guys think, should I get Redemption(and Vigor) or just pour all the points in the synergys?

Also, whether or not I pick Redemption, which synergy should I increase first, Fire or Cold, or should I raise them together? Anybody know the ratio of Fire/Cold Immune monsters in Hell?

Total resists(assuming torch and anni are perfect):
    Fire: 165% [(65/80) in Hell]
    Cold: 195% [(80/80) in Hell] (20% absorb, CBF)
    Lit: 200% [(85/85) in Hell]
    Pois: 165% [(65/75) in Hell]
    Physical: 15%

I can propably get Fire and Poison resists to max with charms(and if lucky with the rare ring), so this raises the question of how to use the socket of Zaka, since Um is not necessary. The most obvious choices for me would be Ber or max dam jewels(maybe even Sol), but what do you think? Also the same question on CoA, what to socket?

With my current gear, I hit 9 frame attack speed break point and by adding 16%FHR from charms, I hit the 4 frame hit recovery break point as well.

As for the Merc, I thought something like this:

Act 2 Holy Freeze merc

Weapon: Crescent Moon
    Helm: Dream
    Armor: Chains of Honor

I have no idea if this is going to work at all, but I'm sure you guys can guide me to the right path, if this looks ridiculous. :laugh:
    The idea was to give him some kinda elemental attack which would get boosted by my Conviction, so I decided on a Crescent Moon because of the CtC Static Field, which would help me quite a bit. Also, since the weapon gives -35% to enemies light resist, I thought I could somehow make use of it. Enter Dream helm. Level 15 Holy Shock coupled with my conviction and Crescent Moon(against broken immunitys) will hopefully do something.:laugh:
    It Also gives CtC Confuse, which together with Static and the mercs Holy Freeze, would help against large enemy groups.
    Chains of Honor was chosen simple because the merc lacked life leech.

So, is there any point in getting Dream helm, if you can't stack the aura with the shield?

And also, should I take a Might merc instead of the Holy Freeze?

Any feedback and suggestions are welcome.:smiley:

2. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

Re: Feedback on My Avenger

Wouldn't be better to increase the Resist Auras and build Vengeance last? You would have similar damage with less mana cost. AR is not a problem as you're running Conviction

3. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

I suggest ditching the Dream helm for merc - even with Conviction, the damage is downright puny. You have much better options for this slot, be it CoT, Vampire Gaze, Andariel's Helm, whatever fancies you.

4. Norrit

Norrit IncGamers Member

i'd go with ber on hoz and double ber on the CoA. Max dr% and max resists = sexyness and tanking capacities you can only dream of.

5. Poppis

Poppis IncGamers Member

@ Noite Escura

Yes, Vengeance will be maxed last, but what do I do with the rest of the points? Should I just max the resist auras or should I get Redemption?

@ ProfessionalBerg

That's what I was worrying. I quess I just got with the good old Andy+Forty combo then. But I'd still like to keep Crescent for the Static.

@ Norrit

That sounds like a solid choice.:grin:

6. Addict

Addict IncGamers Member

I'm not sure if I'm right, but I thought Noite meant MAX the resist synergies (all 3 of them) before raising vengeance.

Assuming you have +16 to vengeance, 1 hard pt would give you a lvl 17 vengeance. If you move those 19 points from vengeance to the resist synergies (and add 1 more pt to finish maxing them), you wouldn't lose much dmg but the mana cost would go down quite a bit. You're lite dmg would drop from 480% to 366% and your cold/fire dmg would drop from 380% to 366%. So you would lose a bit of lite dmg, but the mana cost would be 8 mana instead of 12.7 mana. Guess its kind of a toss-up between more lite dmg and easier spammability.

7. Poppis

Poppis IncGamers Member

Ah, I see. That sounds pretty good, I might try that.

By the way, I was fiddling with some items and came up with this alternative setup(changes in italic):

Helm: Andariel's Visage
    Armor: "Duress" Archon plate
    Belt: Verdungo's Hearty Cord
    Gloves: Bloodfist
    Boots: War traveler
    Amulet: Mara's Caleidoscope
    Ring1: Raven Frost
    Ring2: Dual leech rare/crafted(6% Mana Leech)
    Weapon: "Breath of the Dying" Ethereal Berserker Axe
    Shield: Herald of Zakarum
    Switch: "Call to Arms" Flail + "Spirit" shield
    Charms: Annihilus, Hellfire Torch, 8% fhr large charm, 5 combat skillers

Which do you think would be better?

8. Norrit

Norrit IncGamers Member

Any reason on why would you want to use a Duress armor instead of Chains of Honor? Budget doesn't seem to be an issue, so I just thought to ask why this particular piece of armor

9. Poppis

Poppis IncGamers Member

Well, I don't need CoHs big resist bonus, since I can get max resists easily with Duress, I already have 30% life leech(or 23% with the alternate gear setup) so CoHs life leech isn't needed. It does give some nice %ED against demons and undead, but that only boosts my physical damage(and thus my leech) and won't get multiplied by Vengeance. It gives Strength, which is not needed, since I already get enough +Strength from other gear.

So the only noteworthy stats on CoH for me are the +2 skills and the 8%DR.

Duress on the other hand gives a nice 40% FHR bonus, so it's easier to reach the 4 frame break point. It gives a lot better defence(150-200% compared to 70%). It gives a small 10-20% damage bonus, some cold damage and open wounds & Crushing blow. The damage propably can't match CoH in raw numbers, but at least it's not constricted to just demons and undead, plus the CB is nice against bosses, even though it's so small a chance.

10. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

I drink pots and go for higher damage but I guess I'm in the minority?

11. Norrit

Norrit IncGamers Member

not at all. I like to max vengeance before the synergies. drinking pots is not a problem for me. I also like to go with the rogue faith merc instead of act 2 holy freeze.

@topic:
    More +skills gear is the reason I choose CoH over Duress, but I can see where you're going with the Duress armor. Also, with max dr BerBer CoA (31) + Ber'd Hoz (8%) you could still use the 8% Dr on CoH to reach 47% dr (3% off the max). Of course, that is considening your belt to be Nosferatu's instead of Verdungo's.

12. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

A couple of other options:

1) Instead of NosCoil + Ber'd HoZ consider String of Ears + HoZ with 15IAS/XX jewel. It's a trade off between strength and slow vs. DR, leech, and the /XX from the jewel. Neither setup is "best", it depends on your preferences, playing style, and other gear.

2) Consider replacing Duress with Fortitude. Again this is a matter of preference, but I really like Fortitude here. The one big trade off is the 40% FHR, but since I find 86% overkill for PvM and target 48% it's not an issue for me. In return, you get a massive increase in physical damage...and therefore leeching, loads of life, more resists, more defense, and a nice little boost to your max lightning resist.

Overall, I like your setup and there isn't anything "wrong" with it. I've just suggested some options that you may not have considered that I have used and enjoyed on my Avenger.