Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Feasability of an Uber run on current setup

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by fahartle, Oct 23, 2006.

1. fahartle

fahartle IncGamers Member

Feasability of an Uber run on current setup

Hey Guys!
    I tried to run Uber Tristram recently and got owned by Uber Andariel. I've upgraded my ride a bit and traded the Vamp gaze and the Smoke armor that I was using for a Guillaume's and a Fortitude. here's my current gear (1 pt smiter - level 80 - standard build...)

Guillaume's (unsocketed - thinking about a P skull as my resists are okay)
    Archon Fortitude
    Hoz - upped and Isted (how important is a sanctuary shield? I've got almost maxed resists with current gear)
    Grief phase blade
    String of ears (got a credendum and Nosferatu i could use)
    Gores
    Maras
    Nature's Peace & Ravenfrost (have a Drawfstar and could buy a life leech resist ring if needed)
    Laying of Hands

CoA and Spirit monarch on switch

Have I got sufficient power with the fortitude and the Guillaume's to make it solo without Dracul's? I'm having a devil of a time getting a pair of them, which I know I need. I was thinking that i could get a pair of venom grip gloves and put them on just for Andariel? Would I be better served with a 30% ed jewel in Guillaume's versus the extra leech (don't have any other source of mana leech, though). Also, is there any merc that is handy for Uber Tristrams at all? Possibly a cold bow or act 3 merc? Or are they doomed to seconds of life anywhere in the Uber boards?

*Also, I'm a little confused on the skill choices when fighting the Ubers. Up against Andariel (again, I had on the Smoke armor and Vamp Gaze), I could only keep my life sphere high enough when using zeal (still died but at a couple of times I hung in there a good 15 seconds). I tried to switch to smite and it seemed to lead invariably to a quick death. Will the smite work better with the fortitude and the Guillaume's?

2. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

From what i heard, the problem with Lilith is their physical attack, not much her poison. I never heard of melle chars running Ãœbers without Life Tap, so your best bet is to get Dracs... Gather a lot of PGems and tyou should be able to buy a low one in the trading forums...

3. themachine

themachine IncGamers Member

I ran the ubers without lifetap with a jaba/fendazon (mind you she does 10K dmg on avg with 100+% of critical strike, all with 25% life leech).

4. Lowgat

Lowgat IncGamers Member

Try hard to get those Dracs but you may consider buying a life tap wand in act one and using that on switch if you can't get the Dracs. You can put your CoA in to prebuff before the fight and then use lifetap during the fight. Switch and cast whenever the red light goes out.

Even with Dracs you want to hit lifetap prior to fighting. Sometimes it takes a bit for the lifetap in dracs to catch.

I'd think about trying to replace your String with Verdungos. You could use a little damage reduction. Also you should consider finding more crushing blow. Grief is viable for ubers but if you use it you have to get some more CB out of the rest of your gear. Duress is a pretty good option as it gives you some more CB and open wounsd.

Do you have poison charms or any open wounds? Combined both prevent uber-regen which is vital for Trist.

5. bobofuzzlymunky

bobofuzzlymunky IncGamers Member

not to be an a**hole or anything, but i wouldnt attempt trist with that gear >_< credendum is a must, cheaper than verdungos and much better mods IMO,res,str,dex,life..... heres what my old smiter used, before i got bored of running down uber trist in less than a minute (my record was 47 secs.) :O

Helm- 69base res Um'd Kiras (overkill- 84res. lol.)
    Ammy- i tried maras, but i didnt need the extra res... hilords= lite res, ias, skills.
    Armor- 15ias/15res all jewel'd Guardian Angel... (call me a nub, idc, the bonuses are ridiculous)
    Weapon- 'ShaelBer' Heaven's Light. no other option IMO- skills, ias, cb.
    Shield- 'Exile' Sacred Targe, eth, with inherent 43res bonus. the aura, +auras are good, the whopping 15% life tap is what did it for me.
    Belt- Credendum (already explained why) (or if u want more sorb, tgods)
    Rings- Dwarf Star+Ravenfrost (sorb sorb sorb)
    Gloves- Dracs, of course.
    Boots- Goblin toes... yea i move like a slug but the extra mods on gores did nothing for smite. 10% more cb seemed to be sexy to me.

with anya quests, torch, anni, res charms igot 95res all in hell, about 30-40 res all with mephs massive conviction on me, which is more than most people can say. but good luck, if u cant get dracs, id say life tap wand... probably easier anyways.... just make sure u use a 4socket pally shield with inherent res with 4 pdiamonds in it to make up for the loss of res from no hoz.(perfect world, sacred targe 45res with 4 pdiamonds) but then again if u had a 4os 45res ST youd sell it, i sold mine that i got off mephs armor shrine for 12 hrs,wouldve got more but i was poor at the time. goodluck. happy hunting!

6. tycIbn

tycIbn IncGamers Member

all you need to uber is dracs gloves. spend an um or a hr, to get them. don't really know what the price is. personally i prefer a list wish sup zerker but i realize that isn't an option for a lot of people.

string of ears is fine. with 15 dr and mdr, life leech, its a great belt.

why an ist'ed hoz? seems pointless. look for a 15ias/max dam or e. dam jewel.

i've used both guillames face and v. gaze. after a certain point cb is pointless, i prefer damage reduction over it. but i have 68 cb from last wish too.

look into getting a bk ring instead of a nature's peace. life leech, and + 1 to skills. cant beat that.

ubering is near impossible without lifetap. the lower 3 are possible but once you hit meph, its game over.

7. gorash

gorash IncGamers Member

u have 2 choices imo for gloves.
    1) dracs (for ll, str, lifetap, etc)
    2) LoH (ias, 200ed demons) <-- combined with grief and it'll be monsterous dmg

why use a lwZ? its slow as heck which makes it worse ubering, imo even though it'll do more dmg then a pb, a pb is much better for pvm and ubering, zerk is only for pvp'ing.

belt, i'd stick with dungos as it gives nice life as well as the dr.

for the hoz, i would just um it or something for the extra res, otherwise my smiter just uses a eth zak exile 43 base res for the extra % to cast lifetap. another reasonable choice would be a eth up'd zak.

guillames is one of my favorites for the helm as i would just put a 15/15 jewel in there most likely. a 2os CoA isn't bad either though.

8. fahartle

Wow - thanks a ton guys!!! Sounds like the consensus is that Dracul's is just too good to pass up and the near-indispensible element. I've got a Ber I can trade for it, but they seem to be few and far between on Ladder East. I got a couple of leads, though, so I'm cautiously optimistic! And, yes, now that I think about it I think it was Lilith's physical attack that killed me. I just couldn't leech back enough to keep square with her (thus the need for life tap).

The Hoz is something I inherited from a giveaway (it'll go on a magic find hammerdin eventually). I'm using it now since it's the best I have. The bonuses just seem so nice, but would it really be better to ditch for a 4 Pdiamond elite shield with decent resists (I'm sure I can pick up a mid to high range clean one for Pgems)? The skills and bonuses on the Hoz aren't worth more? I'll totally take your word for it, though!!

let me ask another follow up, though. I have a Chains of Honor that I use on my pure light sorc. Is that recommended over fortitude? Assuming I swap out the gloves for Dracs and the shield for a 4 Pdiamond elite shield, would you guys use the CoH over the Fortitude? Or maybe CoH only if try and stick with the Hoz with it's lower resists? Or better to just go all out for resists and get the PDiamond shield and the CoH?

9. Lowgat

Lowgat IncGamers Member

Well it depends on whether he wants to make the run or whether he's planning on making the perfect uber runner. Doesn't sound like he's that rich on the realms.

If he's got another source of open wounds then Goblin toes probably would be better for him but right now he doesn't have Draculs. Getting the combo of open wounds from dracs and gores (along with some psn damage) pretty much assures you've got the uber-regen handled.

On CoH. IMHO CoH and HoZ is a better combo than a Fort/PDiamond shield but either are going to keep the runner alive. The 200%ed to demons with +2 skillz and 65 res is tough to beat on any uber setup. With Grief he's still shorting himself a bit on CB so if he does get the dracul gloves for OW and can stand running slowly the switch to goblin toes isn't a bad idea.

Also consider Death or (if you happen to find 10 Hrs lying around ;)) ideally you get a Last Wish PB. That and toes/gores would let you take off your face for a kiras.

Most uber builds boil down to trying to get as close to 300 res as possible from quests/eqip (to handle meph), getting 60% or more CB, having open wounds and poison, handling the crowds, life tap as your only curse, and then having one high damage attack to finish off each boss that he/she isn't immune to.

10. tycIbn

tycIbn IncGamers Member

gorash- i choose a zerker over the pb, because of minion killing. i went from 1.1k average damage to now around 3k average damage. even though the pb is faster, its kinda like fast forward verses play, i always have to spend tons of time killing minions and random monsters in uberland. and when zealing the difference isn't that noticable.

on coh... use it. the 300%ed fort vs. the 200% ed demon coh, isn't that much of a difference. with the added res and +2 skills, its hard to beat.

11. Yossarian

Yossarian IncGamers Member

My Pally is pretty good and I find Andy to be harder than all 3 ubers combined. So no it's not just you. Getting a CTA on switch will help you a lot. How much life do you have? I have 17xx before BO.

Outside of Dracs you're fine. You just need LT. Dracs, LW or exile. Anyone will work. If you use grief make sure it is in a PB. The total damage difference is so small but the speed difference is huge. Remember damage does not display correctly.

As for CB 50% is lot's. There is little point in switching gear for an extra bit. So with LW you can wear anyother gear you like although some form of OW is very very helpful. If you use grief gores and orphans helm is all you need, I often only wear gores and still down them fast.

12. fahartle

Woo-hoo!!! Got my Dracs. Cost me a feakin Ber, but they're 10 life leech which is nice. And I'll swap out my fortitude for CoH as I can see those tasty resists really helping. And thrilled to hear that Andy is on the tough side ^_^. I was pretty worried that the three brothers in Tristram would be many times harder than her. So here's my revised rig!

Guillaume's (I'll try and get a resist jewel or Um in here before the weekend)
    Grief Phase Blade
    Hoz - Isted (don't want to Hel that as the shield will go on my mf hammerdin eventually)
    Drac's gloves
    String of Ears (have a Credendum for Mephy)
    Gores
    Chains of Honor
    Maras
    Dwarfstar
    Ravenfrost

I think (hope) I've got an acceptably good rig now. That'll give me 50% CB, 35 OW, and 5% Life tap. I like the possibility of an exile, but I'll broke on High Runes for now. But I found a Kira's last night I could swap in to make up for the resist hit! I'll let you guys now how the 2nd run goes! Thanks for the help all!!

13. stormdragon

stormdragon IncGamers Member

Stick with Guillaume's and it'll be a walk in the park (well a nice park).