Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

FE Hell Ancients - Reloaded

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Shade, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

FE Hell Ancients - Reloaded

After much time had passed, a great cataclysm had all but destroyed the legends told of those who had sought the greatest challenge of all, the Fire Enchantment upon the very Ancients themselves.

But some records of their valour were kept hidden by the Elders of the varied Barbarian tribes, to warn off those who ventured into the most dangerous of all places, the Summit of Mount Arreat.

Ok, so my hand-crafted story and findings got eaten by the forum crash, but I do remember people asking exactly what it was that made the FE Ancients lethal in Hell, and whether it could be survived without the somewhat dubious gear used in the experiment.

So I did a little more testing.

You may remember if you saw the original thread that one single 'hit' from the FE Ancient took away 3k-4k life, with maxed Resists, PDR and Absorb.

Also, this 'hit' took place seemingly just before the attack itself, rendering you unsure what had just killed you. (Madawc's ranged attack seems not to carry the bug, you'll be relieved to hear - it only happens when you're in melee range of the Ancient, it seems)

The obvious next question is 'how important are each of the protective measures?' - so I checked out what happened when I removed all Absorb and PDR gear from my character.

*poof*, same amount of damage, roughly. Looks like Fire Resist is crucial (I had 95% resist, remember, so I was only absorbing 2% of the overall damage...).

Oh, and if I had no Fire Resist, yet had PDR and absorb, instant death (6k+ anyway - most of my life was on the removed gear...)

Rough numbers? Ok, assuming I take exactly 3000 damage from one 'hit', and further assuming this damage is pure Fire-elemental (since PDR seems to have little effect on it). Since I absorbed 40% of the damage, it can be concluded (I think) that the 3000 is 1% of the total damage being dealt... so, 100 times that is... 300,000 HP worth of damage.

...erk? :scared: :scared:

2. Gohanman

Gohanman IncGamers Member

My math may be wrong, but 40% of 5 is 2. I *think* you're only absorbing 2% after the first 95% is negated. In that case, it's a mere 100,000 damage being dealt (3000/damage == 0.03, damage = 3000/0.03).

3. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

My understanding of how absorb works is that it heals that amount of damage after the impact - maybe I've moved some numbers around somewhere...

In any case the damage will be at least 60k (at zero Fire resist), which can't be reasonably survived without at least maxed resists, insane life and a good deal of luck.

4. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Did you look into testing it with 95% fire resist and a sorc with slvl 40 ES? Might give a narrowing of the range.

5. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Well, it won't be a Sorc with ES (I'm not rushing another character through the game...) but I can certainly test EShield out.

...this might be a good time to check if charges synergise things too :)

edit: Since EShield is taken into account before resists, my mana pool took rather a beating.

The damage I registered varied between a few hundred (which I suspect was their normal attack) to off-the-scale ridiculous.

By that, I mean almost 8k damage absorbed by EShield, then 2.5k life gone (AFTER resists), putting another estimate of 8 + (2.5 * 20) = 58k on the scoreboard. (no absorb this time)

This seems fairly consistent with other reports I've been told about.

Oh, and oskills are synergised by charged items from the looks of things (Level 24 Telekinesis charges = more value for mana!).

6. Shaigon

Shaigon IncGamers Member

Moral of the story is...dont fight FE Ancientsss!!!
    :)

7. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Okay, my question, how the heck do you get over 8k mana and over 2.5k life with a sorc? :eek: My level 89 necro has a bit over 1k in both mana and life after I put on all the equipment, and I'd love to know how do you do that.

8. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Same way he got a ring with lvl 24 TK...

9. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

NSXDreamer, it's not really possible in normal gaming situation, for game mechanics/bug testing purposes it's possible (and not frowned upon, atleast not by me) to use different editors or mods, aslong as the people know not to use them with normal D2 or to mix them, and Shade does :)

10. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

Shade,

If I am correct the healing takes place before the damaging dealing. Meaning you should see a difference in the hit from full life and a hit from not full life status.

But I just learned that the absorb % is not from full damage but from damage left after res, so I could be wrong.

Randall

11. DreamlessDude

DreamlessDude IncGamers Member

Wonder if blizzard is gonna throw us a patch after presenting us with countless bugs they have released on us
    .....and nope serverside is not enough

12. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

I assume it'll be released when the next ladder season begins, easiest for eveyone really...

And I also assume that it'll be adding fingerprints for runes, and possibly removing the rune upgrade recipes to prevent the duping sprees...

Why I assume this? Simply because Blizzard takes pride in the realm system, they try to do everything to keep it cheat and dupe free, even though they fail in it 99% of the time, but that's not really their fault, atleast not entirely.

13. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Ahh, thanks. I thought there got to be some hex editing involved. :D

14. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

roughly 60K damage??? :xeek: jezus, thats like, alot :xeek:

i cant see the point that i survived a blow from that throwing ancient, he was FANA and FE and still i took 1 hit before i cast a tp and got my furry little behind out of that summit

nice research shade

robin

15. Huorn

Huorn IncGamers Member

I think that Madawc is not affected by the bug, only the two melee ancients.

16. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Whay dont you jsut hack a baba with 10000000000000 life, wear no resist and see what happens? Wouldnt that save you a 100 times the trouble?

17. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Well, yes, except the character himself is just an ordinary level 98 Barb (I can't be bothered to go find an editor just for this...) - all the huge life etc. came from modded items, usually with other bits on (resists, FCR, +to Teleport, etc.).

I think there's a hard cap of 32k ish on life anyway now, although back when I was investigating the character files (1.09) it was stored as a 4-byte integer.

18. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

shade the normal limit seems to be 330000 but with BO it can atleast show in the char window as max 660000

tested with a friend it might be able to go higher but then you have to add even more life mods and i think we all know no legit char can even get this high life anyway

19. csarmi

csarmi Banned

Make a char with 300k life then and watch it with all possible combination. Naked, with a shield, fire resist, damage resist, etc.

20. MattIs~

MattIs~ IncGamers Member

Absorb won't help you if you get killed in one hit, since it heals you before you take damage. Therefore if you have 95% fire resistance, 3000 hp, and get killed in one hit then it must've done at least 60,000 hp of fire damage. Either way, it's a lot.