Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

FE Bug Survey

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Takis, Mar 7, 2004.

?

Do u prefer DARKFORCE SPAWN or HOMUNCULUS?

1. Darkforce Spawn (assume its perfect)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Homunculus (assume its perfect)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

FE Bug Survey

What do you think if someone made a mod to fix the FE (Fire Enhance) bug in SP? Would you welcome it and use it, or would you think its a cheat?

Takis (El_Greco)

2. DreamlessDude

DreamlessDude IncGamers Member

It all seems pretty upward. I mean if there is serverside fixes, we should have a way to fix it too and this might mean through the usage of a mod. Probably something that is easy to use so stupid me can know how to use it

3. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

i do not consider that as a cheat as blizzard has alredy fixed it on the relms.

but as always they have forgotten about us the single players.

4. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

You don't have my response available...

If Bliz fixed it, I would use the new patch (not holding my breath).

If someone else created a mod I would not. I don't play mods - any mods.

Would it be a cheat? Well, in my purist mind...yup.

5. Lohengrin

Lohengrin IncGamers Member

I would not consider it a cheat because Blizzard has provided a fix on the realms. However, I would be very cautious of such a mod and would want to feel that it did the fix in the exact same manner as Blizzard did for the realms. In other words, if you can give what players have on Battle.Net, I would take it. To me this is the same thing as ATMA.

6. SabreCat

SabreCat IncGamers Member

I've been a fan of third-party bug fixes since Baldur's Gate II. If it's absolutely certain something is a bug, as the Realms fix makes clear in the FE case, I see no ethical difficulty in fixing it. I would agree with Lohengrin that the utmost care would have to be taken in creating such a fanfix, but there are capable and responsible enough modders out there, I'm sure.

While I can admire the purity-at-any-cost attitude of AlterEgo and many others on the forum, I think a stance against third-party bugfixes is at best a regrettable consequence of that attitude or policy.

7. XaviarGangrel

XaviarGangrel IncGamers Member

I've voted that I'd use it, and wouldnt call it a cheat. I havent come up against it yet, but I'm dreading going up against the Hell Ancients when I hit Act 5. I have to say I dont understand why Blizzard havent fixed it.. if they can put a server side thing up, is it so much harder to give us something to download that will fix it? Surely its just a small piece of codeing... I dunno, I dont know anything about such things, but it seems abit odd to me.

8. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

I think whether or not it's a cheat is the wrong question. Everybody draws the line at a different spot. When you get right down to it, basically everything is cheating. Transfering items with atma or the .dll file, trading, etc.

Personally I would use such a patch if it existed and I still played the game, regardless of what anybody else has to say about it.

9. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

I don't think it would a cheat, but then I wouldn't use it. Like AE said, I'm a purist too. Although I didn't find the bug to be that bad, then again I didn't play HC and have only died maybe a couple of times, but nothing to rant about.

10. MattIs~

MattIs~ IncGamers Member

I think it should be legit since Blizzard is just too damn lazy to make the updated patch available to us SPers.

11. MorbidDoom

MorbidDoom IncGamers Member

Don't play mods...well, in a technical aspect all the patches Blizz has ever released are just mods ;) Think about it, most of the changes Blizz has made are done in pure mod fashion, as in the same way any modder out there would make them - editing the .txt files in the mpq files. The only real difference is that these "mods" are sanctioned and created by Blizzard. Technically speaking (and I mean very technically), a mod to fix the FE bug is sanctioned by Blizzard because they did it for the realms. Just because they are too lazy to release a small little patch for us SPers (yes, it is true, they like the Bneters better!) doesn't mean some fellow SPer here can't be a little ambitious and non-lazy to make it him/herself. Now I don't truly understand the logic of the purists, but that, in my mind, cannot be classified as a cheat. A cheat is something that changes the way the game is played or behaves that Blizzard never intended, but they do intend the FE bug as a bug, so a mod fixing that problem would not fit my definition of a cheat.

Oh well, probably futile to change the mind of a purist, but no harm in trying.

12. TekkaZeroX

TekkaZeroX IncGamers Member

I would use it, but I would have to have assurances that the mod does not change anything else and that I can easily rollback in the event that Blizzard releases a patch.

13. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

as the majority seems to say, I'd use it provided that it was exactly the same in effect as the 'official' Blizzard fix.

14. linkato1

linkato1 Banned

As I have made patches to other games that have been accepted by the players as legit bug fixes, I cannot say that it would be a cheat to use such bug fix.

Another thing entirely is if we can know that the fix is only change in the mod and follows how Blizzard has implemented the change in realms.

Yours: Topi

15. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

I'd also lean towards the more purist way...

If someone would make such mod, I wouldn't use it, but I wouldn't consider people using it to be cheaters. Also if I'd still be trading items, I wouldn't consider FE mod players to be playing any different game than I would.

I guess it's the same when the question of the rune color mod came up (that is, if you ignore all other changes it'd make), wouldn't mind others using it, but wouldn't use it myself before Blizzard would release it with an official patch.

16. Takis

Takis IncGamers Member

I wouldn't consider it a cheat either, but I wouldn't use it simple because there's enough dissent that some might question your game play from then on.

Now if there was 100% consensus on being legit, and someone like Hakai or someone else from this forum made a mod to only fix the bug, then I probably would use it.

This poll was a result of another post that Kissthis started and I was curious what the rest of the members thought.

It would be nice if some more of the people that voted "Yes" would post so we could have a more diverse perspective.

Takis (El_Greco)

17. Liter Soul

Liter Soul IncGamers Member

I'm close to purist. I won't play a partial mod. A full mod that borederlines on a new game? Sure. But I'm not going to play something that still passes itself off as diablo ii while others are playing the real version.

18. SabreCat

SabreCat IncGamers Member

Hmm. If we go by Blizzard's intents and actions to determine what's the real version, then the BNetters are playing the real thing and we SP folk are playing the something that still passes itself off as Diablo II...

19. Araknis

Araknis IncGamers Member

Well said.

I agree that it wouldn't be cheating as Blizzard has already fixed the problem for B.Net, so if that's all the mod did I would at least try it to see if it made any difference for me. I mostly play a Necro so I generally stay well away from everything, not just FE's, so I don't know if it would make a big difference for me.

I certainly wouldn't be worried about anyone else using such a mod and would still be quite happy to trade with them.

20. bradley_turner

bradley_turner IncGamers Member

I would welcome and use it, as I encountered it a few days ago on my hardcore hammerdin in nm, and it did 1200 damage to me, which was very, very, very scary indeed. I think that it should be considered legit, as blizzard fixed it on the realms, but they are too lazy to give it to us SPers