Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

FE bug in 1.11

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by jeruninja, Sep 19, 2006.

1. jeruninja

jeruninja IncGamers Member

FE bug in 1.11

Hi all, this is my first time posting here. Back, playing D2Lod after a 2 year hiatus. I am hearing alot about this FE bug and I am wondering if they fixed it for SP in the 1.11 patch.

2. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Yep! It's all fixed up - makes the game a bit more balanced. Welcome back!

- Noodle

3. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

I wouldn't say that they "fixed the bug". The FE explosion was itended to do a damage equal to portion of monster life, but when 1.10 patch came with the upping every monster life, some FE bosses just made a damage enough to 1 hit kill you.
    The bug imho is that FE damage is applied to lightning bolts if the monster is LE or to lightnings from Scarab type monsters or to after-death poison clouds of Embalmed type monsters or pulse damage from FE Ancients.
    In 1.11 they only greatly reduced the damage of FE explosion, but it still applies wrong as I described.
    Anyways the FE explosion damage in 1.11 is ridiculously low, so you shouldn't be afraid of it like we were used to be from 1.10.

4. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Hey, I just had my titan wolf die from it! B'(

5. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Hmmm, FE Lister does around 100-200 damage after he explodes to my zon in 1.11. In 1.10, it was automatic death (1500 life) if it wasn't blocked.

I don't know much about the Ancients, they probably still do quite large damage. Otherwise I just can't imagine a monster that could kill you with FE explosíon in 1.11... :cool:

6. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

The big difference that I notice is CE combined with FE is a consideration. Before, FE + anything meant death. Now, I don't mind FE but I still watch out for FE + CE on bosses.

7. Maurice

Maurice IncGamers Member

The FE explosion is blockable? I never heard anything about that... :confused2:

Personally, I think CE + LE is much worse. LE means charged bolts everywhere, and CE means every bolts will chill you. Dodging gloams' attacks while chilled is a pain...

8. Llathias

Llathias Banned

I remember seeing evidence that the fire explosion damage was nerfed only in Hell difficulty. NM Radament was the cause of death in that case.

9. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

I am confused.

the FE 'bug' is still very deadly in D2 on battle.net and having come from there recently that is what I know best. Here in this thread some people say its fixed, some people say its still dangerous. I'm under the impression that SP is the same as B.net (ladder) so if its still deadly on b.net then how can it be fixed here?

This is what I understand:
    - The FE 'bug' is what happens when a Fire Enchanted monster dies.
    - It deals a percentage of the living monsters max health.
    - Because monsters Hit Points go up as players join, the FE 'bug' on b.net was pretty much moot when playing alone but rapidly become more dangerous as players joined.
    - Blizzard claims the FE 'bug' does exactly what it was programmed to do and that they didn't fix it on Hell difficulty they just toned it down because monsters Hit Points were so high there was no chance of survival even when playing alone.

It seems like the majority of people here play through NM on /p8 which makes the monsters Hit Points very high (in comparison to /p1). Would this not make an FE monsters death extreamly dangerous to everyone standing close, even in Single Player?

I avoid the damned things like the Plague myself.

Especially after my Smiter got splattered by the death of an FE Hell Ancient. He has like 1700 Health, 90% Fire resist, and Max block. My Smiter (lvl 87), my merc (lvl 87), my friends MA sin (lvl 84), and his merc (lvl 84) all smeared into a memory by one bloody pop.

-hps

10. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

The FE bug was fixed on bnet ages ago, perhaps season 2 of 1.10. It was fixed more recently in SP, 1.11. The only explanation I see is that bnetters don't remeber the bug as it used to be while it is more fresh in SP'ers memory.

Right now, unless blocked, FE still does damage but for a decent char with 1000 HP and 75% resist, 100 - 200, as Hrus says, is reasonably expectable damage from a FE boss. Before, any FE blast from a FE boss was rarely survivable, unless blocked. Tests were done with very high HP chars and maxed resists (i.e. 95%) and it was still not survivable from some bosses.

Basically, most SPF players are still basking in the joy of hugely reduced FE damage.

EDIT: As for blizzards claims, its rarely if ever in their own best interest to say the screwed up. Perhaps FE did what it was originally meant to at first, but that just makes it a questionable idea rather than questionable programming.

11. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Who says that it's deadly on BNet? AFAIK there is no difference.

Yes, though I wouldn't call it a bug, as I explained earlier.
    It's just because monsters have several times more life in 1.10 (and 1.11) compared to what they have in 1.09 that the damage from FE explosion is several times higher. The largest differences in monster life are of course in Hell difficulty.

AFAIK number of players has no impact on FE damage.

That's exactly what I just said.

AFAIK number of players has no impact on FE damage.

Ancient pulse damage is quite different and probably still deadly.

I think that someone mentioned that when the monster is FE/CE, it gets doubled cold explosion and doubled FE explosion damage in Fe explosion range. The more dangerous part should be the cold explosion.

I might do some test on this part...

12. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

The FE "bug" consisted of two main problems.

The first one is that the damage is dealt at inappropriate times, like from the poison cloud from FE minions, carried with lighting bolts for LE monsters, and things such as that. This has not been fixed.

The other problem wasn't really a bug, but a balance issue. This has to do with the monster life being bumped up in 1.10, causing the explosion to be insta-death for all characters for the higher hitpoint monsters. This was adjusted in Hell difficulty on B.net pretty early in the 1.10 history. SP got this fix when the 1.11 patch was released. I've also heard this "fix" included the NM ancients, but I can tell you for sure it doesn't affect other SU monsters in NM.

13. Sir Dante

Sir Dante IncGamers Member

Just yesterday.

1.11 b

Hardcore Level 75 Fanatic Avenger

Fire Resist 80
    Damage Reduced By 15%
    Damage Reducd By 30

Life 1000

Players 8 Nightmare I was instantly killed by the Fire Enchanted Council member. I was not under the influence of Amplify damage.

Regardless if they nerfed it, it is still way too powerful and just another way to make melee characters worse then Casters.

14. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

My dead smiter seems to argue otherwise. His accident was at the Hell Ancients and they might be a possible exception. So how about my Barbarion that was nearly killed by the 3rd wave of baals minions when he was FE and popped? That barb had at least 2k life and 75% fire resist, he was brought down to less then a quarter health. Thats a fair bit more then 100-200 damage.

I did, just then. I was simply refering back to b.net because its what I know best and it shouldn't make a difference since they are the same.

If their death pop is a percentage of their Hit Points then would it not be directly realted to the number of players? Since more players = harder to kill monsters.

I was simply stating things as I understood them so that you guys would know where I was getting my assumptions/facts from and then could (hopefully) see more easily why I was confused.

Is this pulse damage when they explode at death? Or something else, because its the death explotion part of FE that really scares me, like when dolls pop.

I didn't know about this part. So you're saying a lightning bolt from an FE/LE monster carries fire damage as well as lightning damage? Where does it get this fire damage number from? Is it a precentage of the damage of the lightning bolt?

When exactly did your character die? When he was struck by the council member? When the council member died and exploded? Or from a lightning bolt from the council memeber?

yuck! Sorry this is so long and hostile sounding. I'm struggeling to understand and want to clearify, I'm deffinetly not trying to be rude!

-hps

15. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

I'm not an expert on the mechanics, but I believe it is adding the same damage you would get from the death explosion. My old enchantress had lots of problems with those poison cloud Zombies until I figured out what was happening. I'd kill a minion and then die almost immediately after. Sometimes the boss wasn't even on the screen.

My paladin with 900 life or so was killed by a NM council death explosion. He had good resistances (but no shield). Because the "fix" was only made in hell, FE is actually more dangerous in NM than in Hell. It can still be very deadly in Hell, but lots of hitpoints and resistance are usually enough to survive it.

16. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

I didn't read the whole thread, but it seems there are a few differences of opinion about what exactly the FE bug is. Having just converted from 1.10, this explains it for me: http://forums.diabloii.net/showpost.php?p=2664276&postcount=15

... and yes, that particular bug was fixed in version 1.11, although I'm not as certain about 'Pindlskin's Revenge' - I haven't run him since upgrading.

However, as everyone pointed out and explained, there are other dangers of dealing with Fire Enchanted bosses - I'm not going to re-hash the same points.

17. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Looks like there is a lot of confusion about the "FE bug" (IMHO, someone smart should update the FE bug FAQ, I don't think it is correct/up to date).

FE monsters were so deadly in 1.10, because FE explosion damage is based on monster hp. And as everyone knows, monster hp got major boost in 1.10. It worked just as it was ment to work, it just dealt way too much damage. As jjscud said, a mistake or bad idea by Blizz.

1.11 patch "fixed" the bug, but AFAIK, the FE damage is only lowered on hell difficulty. NM FE bosses are just as deadly as in 1.10. And even now, some of the highest hp FE bosses on hell difficulty can still be a threat (like Ancients).

The FE explosion damage is based in p1 monster hp. Multiplayer or /players x doesn't make them more dangerous.

Everyone knows how bosses with elemental damage mods behave. The problem is the combinations of those mods. If there is more than one of them on the boss, the death explosion damages are applied at wrong (?) times. It might be a bug or another nasty idea by Blizz, who knows? AFAIK, the game has worked this way for a rather long time, so it could be intentional.

FE/CE
    -monster will release 2 fire & cold explosions upon death

FE/LE
    -monster will release lgt bolts and an invisible FE explosion when put in hit recovery animation (the FE damage is *not* added to the lgt bolts)
    -FE explosion upon death

CE/LE
    -monster will release lgt bolts and an invisible cold nova when put in hit recovery (the cold dmg is *not* added to the lgt bolts)
    -cold nova upon death

FE/LE/CE
    -monster releases lgt bolts, and both invisible cold nova & fire explosion when put in hit recovery (again, the FE and CE dmg are not added to the lgt bolts)
    -upon death you'll get 2 cold novas & fire explosions

FE and/or CE damage is *not* applied to the lightning bolts, poison clouds or anything. Those are separate effects.

Beetles are so deadly because they are considered LE by default.

For some reason, those poison cloud zombies can also be quite dangerous. I believe that is because they have a "special effect" when they die (= the poison cloud)

18. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

AFAIK they FE explosion damage IS added to Scarab lightning bolts. Also the hidden FE explosion is triggered when the poison cloud of Embalmed type boss AND his minions is released.

19. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

You have to be in the close range to be hit by the invisible FE explosion, and of course, at the same time you'll get hit by the lightning bolts too. It looks like the bolts carry the dmg, but in reality, they are separate. When I'm far away from FE/LE boss and get hit by lgt bolt, I don't receive big dmg. Saying the FE damage is carried by the bolts only in the balst damage radius sounds quite silly too.

Yes, but touching the cloud has nothing to do with the huge damage

20. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

LprMan: It was only misunderstanding between us :wink3:
    Now I agree with you.