Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

FC Bear, Advice Sought

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Hammy, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Hammy

Hammy IncGamers Member

FC Bear, Advice Sought

I blame Tyrael and his worthless sword...

I have four Azurewraths, all of them good rolls, so for some idiotic reason, I feel the need to make use of them. I was going to try out a Kodiak, but after delving into it a little, it appears the general consensus is that SSoG oversold them a little in his guide (amazing guide btw, after reading it, I was ready to delete all my other characters and be a BEAR!).

Azurewrath can Hunger at 5FPA, and FC at 6FPA. Trade a frame for insane fire damage and a huge AR bonus? Sure, why not...

Clvl req of 85. @$&#.

The Gear:

Jalal's Mane
    Highlord's Wrath
    6x Shael Phase Blade
    Duress Great Hauberk
    Spirit Monarch
    Dracul's Grasp
    Thundergod's Vigor
    Raven Frost
    Rare ML Ring
    Gore Rider
    4x Shapeshifting Skillers

The (ill-conceived) Plan:

Equip Drac's and enter Hell at 76. Level to 85 in the Pit. Equip Azurewrath. Become a Pat.

The Problem:

The thought of highlighting him and hitting enter at character select makes me want to find a bridge and jump from it.

I made it to 81. Pit was a bad idea. It takes me like 6 hits to kill a Devilkin, in which time the Shaman revives three more.

Been running P8 Mausoleum, no fire immunes. I deal around 8k damage 6 times per second. Stuff dies, but that has to be the most irritating run in the game. I have 400 mana. FC costs 4. I still run out. Sometimes, I run down hallways for 30 seconds without seeing anything to kill. Stupid dungeon.

I cannot properly describe the amount of awesome in a pure FC bear in normal and nightmare, but I feel like I am in hell, literally. I would assume things will get better when I can equip Tyrael's stupid sword, but I don't know that I am going to make it...

Does anyone have any gear, or especially run suggestions that will get me to 85 without leaving A1 or going completely insane? I am about ready to respec him as a Fury Wolf for the next 4 levels, but that just sounds too cheesy.

Your input is appreciated.

-Hammy

2. ReadyTorches

ReadyTorches IncGamers Member

Re: FC Bear, Advice Sought

If you don't want your mana to be tossed to 0 try insighting your merc or crafting mana leech rings. It only takes a bit of leech to keep the mana good and full, even with burners.

3. zarirazz

zarirazz IncGamers Member

the lack of leech is probably due to your low physical damage.. try using a gris caddy if you have one and see whether it improved. or any other fast weapon with decent physical damage..

otherwise, you have to increase mana leech or use mpk items. or use insight merc as mentioned above..

4. Hammy

Hammy IncGamers Member

Bingo, low physical damage is the issue, combined with running Mausoleum and unleechable skeletons / heavy leech penalty on the zombies.

Jalal's has 5 MpK, but exp running on P8, it takes a few hits to make the kill, so it doesn't help all that much. Presently, I either drink potions or switch to my Obedience Thresher (that I have for the Enchant) and crack off a couple Hungers. It works, but it is irritating because it swings so slow and the AR is awful compared to FC.

When I make the switch to Azurewrath, I anticipate replacing my ML ring with a BKWB and mixing in Hunger as needed to fill the bulb, but the vanilla PB doesn't do enough to be practical.

Sadly, I have not yet been bestowed with a Gris Caddy, or I would most definitely be making use of it.

5. buckies

buckies IncGamers Member

4 socket Gris caddy shaeled is the ticket. Only level 66 req and earns you massive style points in the process. Sadly the only Gris caddy I've found only gave me 3 sockets :(

A dual leech rare ring would also be the goods if you can muster one.

Finally, if your lightning resistance isn't that bad (or your not in areas where it's required), why not switch that to a string to boost your LL more? The PDR and MDR would be nice too.

As mentioned though, no point boosting the leech if your physical damage ain't boosted to match it. An interim weapon change sounds like a certainty though.

6. naranjadita

naranjadita IncGamers Member

If your problem is mana leech, try finding a better weapon to use until 85. Don't stick to 4 fpa speed. Try to find something really big and whack things with it. Oath, Buriza, Bonehew and Ribcracker come to mind.
    I think a lil' power-up from a might mercenary is helpful, too. Add the damage bonus from werebear and maul (~+300%, assuming you have lvl 1 wb and maul, and +4 to all, +6 to were skills on your equipment) here. Good physical damage should also solve FI problem in the Pits.
    You can also put the weapon on switch if you are so eager to run around swinging your phase blade like mad until 85.

Other than this... try using Tiamat, Treachery and Trang's gloves. This should help with immunes, but not leech though.

edit.
    Perhaps it's out of the question since you want to stay at the 1st act for now, but I think you should pay some attention to Maggot's Lair. I can't remember any natural Fire Immunes spawning there.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  7. Hammy

Hammy IncGamers Member

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions!

I tried a couple things...

First, I dug out my Oath and took that for a spin, tried keeping Maul charged up and unleashing the beast on anything that moved. This worked, marginally. It was a clear improvement, but I think I was swinging at 9FPA, which was sufficiently slow to get me interrupted, a lot. Really wishing my eBotD was in a Giant Thresher...

In the end, I decided life is too short to suffer through a game, took a bite of the cheese, and paid Akara a visit. I wanted to test a theory about a dedicated Pit-running Feral Rage Wolf, since I was debating making that my next project. That build is sadly based around Tomb Reaver, which also has a stupid level requirement. A double-Shaeled Bonehew did the job, albeit not nearly as well as the Tomby would.

I came to two conclusions:

1) Shockwave is awesome, and it sucks not having it.

2) The Pits are evil, and not a suitable place to level.

I threw myself at Archer packs out of sheer stubbornness until I managed to hit 82, despite a handful of messy deaths. My favorite occurred from an Extra Strong, Cursed, Mutiple-shot Archer with a Fanaticism aura from an adjacent pack. I couldn't even wade through the sea of Fanatical Devilkin to get to her. It isn't especially fair to gauge any melee build off something like that. I don't even know that my Whirler could've pulled that one off...

Azurewrath is overrated anyway. I pushed forward and got up to the Arcane Sanctuary without even so much as a close call. Better to make pat, hit 85 in the process, respec back to FC, and equip the stupid sword.

This is why I haven't patted a Druid yet, I guess.

On a side note, does anyone know where I can find the breakpoints for Feral Rage? The German calc has it listed as the same as a normal attack (which it most definitely is not), and Wereform Central says it's not 100% sure how it works post 1.10...

Thanks!

-Hammy

8. naranjadita

9. zarirazz

zarirazz IncGamers Member

@hammy

imo the pits is one of the best places to level, at least for physical damage characters. had countless builds run them just to wear luxury items like arkaines ($%^@ rlvl85!), andy's etc.. =P

i guess this is one aspect the respec option can be "abused"..

or do what i do pre-1.13.. don't go running pits at p8 straight away. since cth is level-dependent as well, i tend to go p3 at 70-75, p5 at 75 above. p8 usually around 81/82++ according to my confidence in survival.

of course this is for "weaker" characters ie casters/elemental damagers. my zealots/ww barbs/fury wolf can easily do p8..

10. Hammy

Hammy IncGamers Member

How do you deal with being cursed and the insane Archer packs (ES, EF, Fanaticism, etc.)?

At 2500 life, 32% DR, 14k AR, wearing Drac's, and swinging with Feral Rage for ~4k per hit, I was still having major survivability issues. At P1-P3...

The only real issue I had was low armor, which is hard to rectify on a Wolf. I even tried wearing a Delirium, but the Archers don't seem to be affected much by the Confuse. Maybe a HF merc?

11. naranjadita

Use your Force, Luke.
    Or probably summon a Grizzly to tank some hits. Should be enough for you to cast the Life Tap.

edit.
    Have just encountered a pack of /p8 extra fast cursed archers with a might-enchanted bosspack of skellies as a meatshield. OUCH (and a few dozens more ouches). I remember to have dealt with such hurty boss combinations succesfully on Pit lvl 1 (go go grizzly!), where there is some space for running around, but these monstrocities were on lvl 2, where they blocked the only (and very narrow) passage. I bet I'd hear "THIS IS SPARTA!!" if skellies had more meat on their throats. I had to retreat with the speed of light to find myself on Pits lvl 1, cursed, ~200 hp left, no merc and no bear.

so... I found this particular situation to be quite a problem. But I don't think a wolfie can go through it and stay more or less alive without uber gear (or perhaps I am a noob).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  12. ReadyTorches

ReadyTorches IncGamers Member

I think on this one with wolf unless you 1 hit them your screwed because you can't life leech them at all.