Favorite stand-up comedians

Damotta

Diabloii.Net Member
Favorite stand-up comedians

Reading that Bad joke of the week thread got me to thinking about some of my favorite stand-up comedians. When it comes to stand-up I'm pretty particular, and it takes a unique kind of comedy to get me really busting up. So, here are some of my favorites:

Brian Regan - I absolutely love the way he presents his jokes. His command over facial expressions and voice really bring his comedy to life. lol One minute he'll be talking like an ignorant idiot, the next he'll be quietly contemplating daily life stuff (like why pop-tarts have instructions on the box), and the next he'll be screaming like a lunatic. If you get the chance, check out his 1 hour audio stand-up titled 'Brian Regan Live'.

Jim Gaffigan - What I enjoy a lot about Jim is his nonchalant way of questioning day-to-day oddities of human life. It's been a while since I've heard his stuff, so I cant remember any off the top of my head, but I remember being in stitches the first time I heard it. He's also been on TV and in movies a bit. He was in Super Troopers as the guy that gets pulled over and the highway patrolmen keeps saying meow instead of now. He's also in those horribly cheesy Sierra Mist commercials *sigh*. If you can, check out his CD/DVD 'Doin' My Time' or catch him when his live show sometimes airs on Comedy Central.

Dave Attel - admittedly, I first saw Dave on the Insomniac show, and while I enjoyed the show, I didnt find Dave to be a hilarious guy. Then I listened to some of his stand-up and couldnt stop laughing. His comedy is best described as goofball. He does really well acting like a fool and loves to be loud and proud about it. Like the other two comedians I've previously named, Dave's got some good observational humor that ranges from midgets to religion. He's on Comedy Central once in a while, and the audio version of the show is on CD titled 'Skanks for the Memories'.

There are a good number of other comedians I like very much such as Mitch Hedberg, Steve Martin, and well...a lot of the guys I've seen but can't recall the name of atm. However, the ones I've listed are the cream of the crop.
So what about you folks?

PS. Does anyone know the name of the comedian who's show reruns from time to time on Comedy Central who's back ground for his stage is a giant picture of a robot's head that shows the circuits and stuff inside? I think the background is just a tan, with the outline of the robot in black. I got a real kick out of his comedy.

Gibby

Banned
I personally prefer comedy movies than standups, but in standups I prefer listening to black comedians. Ex: Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Chris Tucker, etc.

Johnny

Banned
I have no idea. Once I saw this guy on TV who I know is the funniest comedian I have ever heard but I have no idea what his name is. he just made sex jokes and then some refference to puting his penis in an electric outlet when talking about an eletric sex toy for men.

nrabbit

Diabloii.Net Member
Gibby said:
I personally prefer comedy movies than standups, but in standups I prefer listening to black comedians. Ex: Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Chris Tucker, etc.
hahaha same here :lol: chris tucker rulez

Suicidal Zebra

Diabloii.Net Member
Eff said:
eddie izzard
Quoted for Agreement.

Bill Bailey is good too from a very different standpoint: he brings music into his skits.

Personally, I like my comics to be largely inoffensive and quite subtle. On the flip-side I cannot stand the more in-your-face style of the 80's Black American stand-ups.

5Ws

Banned
Mitch Hedberg, very good jokes, too bad he passed away.
Brian Regan, he is just freaking great, doesn't really have smart jokes, but the way he tells them just make you laugh out loud.
Also Jeremy Hotz, or something like that, a lot of people don't like him but I find him hilarious.

CyberHawk

Diabloii.Net Member
Jeff Foxworthy--the best
Bill Engvall--also the best
George Carlin--90% ofthe time, I dont like his religion skits
Dennis Miller--at times.

There are more tho..but its a good start.

5Ws

Banned
I hate the Blue Collar guys, except for Bill Engvall, he's kinda funny, sometimes. And the others, I really think they are God awful.

CyberHawk

Diabloii.Net Member
5Ws said:
I hate the Blue Collar guys, except for Bill Engvall, he's kinda funny, sometimes. And the others, I really think they are God awful.
You hate?

Well thats why I posted them as MY favorites..not yours. I tell ya what, since you dont like my choices, maybe you wont post them as your favorties..uh? :rolleyes:

5Ws

Banned
CyberHawk said:
You hate?

Well thats why I posted them as MY favorites..not yours. I tell ya what, since you dont like my choices, maybe you wont post them as your favorties..uh? :rolleyes:
Chill the hell out man, one comment and you are flipping out, sheesh.

CyberHawk

Diabloii.Net Member
5Ws said:
Chill the hell out man, one comment and you are flipping out, sheesh.

Welcome to me .;)

I just have a little problem when I see someone remark poorly to someone elses choices. As you'll see me never do this. I aint mad at ya..its just my usual comeback. Same as I am in real life.

Another comedian I used to watch was SinBad(sp?)..he was clean and cool.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
I haven't seen too many stand-up comedians live, but out of the ones I have seen, Chris Rock was definitely the best. Jeff Foxworthy being second, and Dennis Miller third.

SelfBaisResistor

Diabloii.Net Member
In no particular order:

Chris Rock
Dave Chappelle
Ron White
George Carlin
Eddy Murphy
Richard Prior
Dennis Leary
Lewis Black

Machina

Diabloii.Net Member
In no particular order:

Robbin Williams.
Bill Hicks.
Paul Merton and Ian Hislop.
Boris Johnson MP (if you count him as one).

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
Robin Williams
George Carlin
Tim Allen
Richard Pryor
Jeremy Hotz (he did the bit about the kiebler elves, right?)
Some other dude from CC that had this rural farm backround, and he had glasses... balding and blonde. Did a bit about looking smart with glasses.
Mitch Hedburg (legend)
Lewis Black
Dave Attel
I like all the Blue Collar Comedians, especially Jeff.
Dane Cook
Bill Hicks

The guy I hate the most is the dude from SNL's news thing. Black hair, really really arrogant as **** but also a synical dumbass. Had his own hbo show for a while I think. Not Norm or Kevin Nealon.