Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Father and Son UnTwinked Patriarch Journey!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by dkn, Aug 11, 2019.

1. dkn

dkn Diabloii.Net Member

Hello all!

My 11 year old son thinks Diablo II looks pretty great so today he got his first laptop. We've decided not to migrate my items from HC to SC and instead playing completely self-found together. He will only be over every-other-weekend so process will be a little slow, but we will post all updates in this thread!

Ares
    I will be playing Ares, a conviction Paladin who will seek to acquire a Voice of Reason. Ares has been chosen as the name of this character because while being the Greek god of war, he was also viewed as a dangerous force/unpredictable, but insatiable in battle!

Kratos
    My son will be playing Kratos, a WW Barbarian who will use what ever skull crushing items he finds! Kratos has been chosen as the name of this character as he is the personification of strength. (and also because he likes the character from God of War lol!)

Ares and Kratos ready to begin their journey! (we forgot to screen grab before we killed some zombies lol!)
    Ares-Kratos-Beginning.jpg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  2. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Coolest dad ever! Good luck with everything :)

jonnyphive and dkn like this.
  3. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

Nice project!

Not sure if you were already planning to do this, but it would be good to hear your son's perspective, you could add quotes by him in each update!

Also, you need an avatar!!!

dkn likes this.
  4. dkn

dkn Diabloii.Net Member

First session in! In a few hours we managed to get to level 14 and kill The Countess!

Level-14-First-Session.JPG

Here's some decent finds along the way!
    Ares
    Ares-Shield_1.JPG

Kratos
    Kratos-Axe_1.JPG
    Kratos-Shield_1.JPG

As requested, some quotes from my son:

After killing The Countess:
    Would also mention he literally picked up every item that drops to inspect it lol. But he figured out how to use Alt to scan the area first. Also, he bailed on me during a few battles haha. So now he knows to use 1-4 to drink pots ;)

Annnnd he learned a valuable lesson in Tristram: run from a mob with fanaticism! Instant death!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  5. ioupainmax

Loved the quotes :p

dkn likes this.
  6. JoeBruce

JoeBruce Diabloii.Net Member

Very cool, man. I will echo my comments to others who have posted about playing with their kids: let them set the pace. Your comment about him picking up all items is typical. Just wait until he finds Isenhart's armor! I argue that if he sets the pace he will have more fun, and the more fun he is having, the longer this campaign will go.

Good luck!

Luhkoh and dkn like this.
  7. dkn

dkn Diabloii.Net Member

Exactly! I got slightly frustrated and then I told him, "you know what, this is your adventure. Just do whatever you want." Every "crude" item was picked up and inspected. We tested throwing explosives and poisons. We then repaired every item every 5 minutes.

While he's gone I'll spend my diablo time running Countess and Andy after we quest her. Then when he comes home he can check out the list of available runewords and go to town :)

jonnyphive and CaseyJones like this.
  8. Luhkoh

Luhkoh Diabloii.Net Member

Super fun thread! Followed with interest :)

ioupainmax likes this.
  9. DiabloTwoinDC

DiabloTwoinDC Diabloii.Net Member

Nice thread, and good luck! My daughter is only 3, and not sure if she will like D2..

We better have a boy also just to be safe. ;)

10. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

I would let your son do all the grinding with you. The thrill of finding the items is most of the fun.

ioupainmax, dkn and Luhkoh like this.
  11. dkn

dkn Diabloii.Net Member

True, that is the best (imo) part of Diablo. It just sucks because he will only be over every-other-weekend right now. We stay pretty busy so we don't have much time to play.

Quick Update:
    He actually got to stay an extra night so we played a little Monday morning.
    He is now hotkeying Shout and each time we engage a monster pack he uses it he says:
    My wife took him home Monday afternoon and he was telling her how good he was getting at Diablo - switching between Bash and Shout and how in one more level he will get Concentrate.

12. jonnyphive

jonnyphive Diabloii.Net Member

Very cool. I'll definitely be following this thread - I really hope you guys at least make it to Hell so your son can see when the real game begins! I too would love to do this with 1 or more of my kids, but the oldest is only 4 and he has the attention span of a squirrel on crack, so it might take a while before any of them are able to play/focus well enough.

DiabloTwoinDC, dkn and ioupainmax like this.
  13. ioupainmax

:p

Sounds entertaining!

dkn and jonnyphive like this.
  14. dkn

dkn Diabloii.Net Member

Unfortunately we did not have a lot of time to play this weekend. We were able to slay Andariel, but it took a couple of attempts. Ares, my Paladin, died. This is the first time I think I've ever died to normal Andy? lol.

Here is a great quote from my son after the long battle:
    He says this as I am getting mercilessly slaughtered by her lol!!

We then proceeded to Act 2. We shopped for two helmets with two sockets and were able to make Nadir. He shopped a nice +20% or so ED maul. Does 30-42 damage. I found a Butcher's Pupil in the jail that Ares is now using.

After Radament we moved onto the Dry Hills and collected the cube and is where our journey ends for two weeks.

Unfortunately I forgot to take screenshots... I'll be sure to get lots more next session!!

jonnyphive and ioupainmax like this.
  15. ioupainmax

Do you mean Deathspade?

16. dkn

dkn Diabloii.Net Member

Ha! Yes, that's what I meant.

It will be two weeks until the next update, but I'll make sure I get plenty of screen shots.

My other son is now interested so there's a surprise possibility a third member enters the party :)