Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fastest untwinked class builds?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Haru, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Haru

Haru IncGamers Member

Fastest untwinked class builds?

Ok, I've searched quite a bit, but didnt have much results =X
    I am the kind of person who gets really bored with lvling until I have quite the big list of skills at my disposal.
    What I am looking for is: For each class: which build is faster for lvling through normal solo, untwinked, and since lvl 1? (can always respec later once it hits a certain lvl)

Out of experience, the only one who seemed pretty fast to me was lightning sorc, charged bolt is wonderful and a much faster killer at low lvls than the other trees choices.
    Heard that fire trapper assa is pretty fast too (suposedly the fastest in clearing normal), but havent tried it yet.
    Still, what bothers me the most are mellee class builds, the more I look at my barb, the more I think he'll be slow as hell until he gets to lvls 30ish.
    Also might be too item dependant =X.

So, and correct me if I am wrong//add something to it, please:

Sorceress: Lightning
    Assassin: Fire trapper
    Druid: ????
    Barbarian: ????
    Necromancer: ????
    Paladin: ????
    Amazon: ????

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. jhtvman

jhtvman IncGamers Member

Re: Fastest untwinked class builds?

I've always had an easy time leveling untwinked with a fishymancer. It's a very gear-independent build. Act bosses will take time, and normal Diablo can be quite a challenge, but otherwise it's not hard for the fishy to run through all the difficulties without much trouble.

3. Haru

Haru IncGamers Member

dude... I said fastest... and you give me the slowest build of them all, are you trying to deceive me or am I wrongly informed? D=
    Inst bone much, much faster than that?

4. jhtvman

jhtvman IncGamers Member

I've never played a bone necro, so I wouldn't know. I do know, however, from having done it a few times, that a fishy can breeze through norm without much effort. I don't know if it's the fastest, having not played around with every build in the game, but it's definitely quick, and more importantly still easy even if you get horrible drops the entire time.

Actually, now that I think about it, a fire druid is also quite good on normal.

5. Marahumm

Marahumm IncGamers Member

If we're just talking speed with dis-regard to mana consumption, I would imagine a bone necro would be the way to go rather than summoner (especially in arcane sanctuary and maggot lair). Following that trend, I would wager that any single-element-heavy build would do you well:
    bone necro
    fire druid as jhtvman suggested
    holy-fire/shock/frost zealot
    fire/ice arrow zon

6. droid

droid IncGamers Member

"Normal" is kind of a big brush to use. There's builds that are very fast from levels 1-12, or 1-18, then there's ones that dont even start till L18 or L24 but outperform the super low level builds once you get there.

Also, "fastest" is a relative term. You mean fastest to be able to advance through the game solo? Fastest as in able to level the quickest solo? From L18 onward, a TPing sorc is going to be the fastest to progress through the game, just because she's the only one that has TP at that point.

If you want to call Normal the entire game up to L30, then each class has builds more suitable.
    Sorc's gotta be fire, Leaf is just an absurdly overpowered runeword in Normal and is so absurdly cheap and easy to make that even untwinked sorcs can count on it. My vote on the best Norm blitzer.
    Barb-dual swing to frenzy
    Pally-zealot
    Druid-wolfie
    Zon-jabazon with a rare jav from the start, or strafezon from L24, though good javs and bows are harder to find
    assa-kicksin, though you're hamstrung by gear a lot more at low levels untwinked
    Nec-CE/summon. Yes, its slow, but so is an untwinked bone nec when you run out of mana every fight.

My formula for leveling solo is to run Trist to 12, Far Oasis to 18, and Canyon of the Magi to 24. After that, blitz A3 and get to Chaos, once you have enough fire res to handle the Balrogs. Oasis and Canyon have no unleechables, so your melee builds can have carte blanche if they have good physical damage and a source for LL. On ladder, join Baal or Chaos games; in SP, use the highest /p setting you can manage.

7. Haru

Haru IncGamers Member

Hmm, you might be up to something with fire druid there. Still wonder if you wouldnt have to respec somewhere once you hit a certain lvl mark.

That might be more like it, thanks, still, wonder which of the elemental builds for each class would do better. I heard that sock zealot is pretty good regarding high damage, but fire might beat it in raw damage at lower lvls. (also dont remember at which lvl you get each of them, so I might be saying something really wrong here)

By fastest I meant, that kills faster alone//able to lvl faster alone.
    And I mean from lvl 1, with the use of a respec once you hit 18 (maybe) or some other important mark
    . Like for example, lightning sorc goes much better than fire at lower lvls IMO, still, I could respec for a juicy fireball once I reach the lvl if I have leaf. (but rals usually arent that friendly to me, even wonder if they can drop where I am around the lvl I can use the runeword [normally arcane sanctuary], all that I ever found was els and the one rune after that)
    This in mind that I would not be afraid of puting some points into mana. (would at least put points until I reach 70-100)

Now a thing that bothers me a bit about 2 of your sugestions, and have in mind that I am much ignorant regarding that: isnt zealer and frenzy much item dependant?
    And I believe I've read some extensive posts in the past of how a fire trapper assa is the fastest non-teleing normal clearer. (around the begining of 1.13 with the respec and all)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  8. droid

droid IncGamers Member

zeal and frenzy are item dependent, yes, but up till A4 Normal you can get by with drops/shops/gambles....and after that point, you can start to make some of the low level runewords like Steel and Strength, which arent ideal but are adequate until you find a good unique or rare for damage.

Frost zealot is less item-dependent than a physical zealot, yes, but in normal mode I found the best defense, for melee classes, is just big phys damage and big leech courtesy of Sigons and Cathan's Rings, or whatever else you can find in that vein :) Plus, a pure phys zealot can pump Might/Conc early on, which also boosts your merc's efficacy, increasing your overall kill rate - mercs can be highly effective in Normal, even with just random drop/shop weapons and a LL helm (gambled circlet or low-level blood craft is your best bet).

Barbs of any kind are going to be highly weapon-dependent, regardless.

Dont know about fire trapper, I imagine she'd play largely like a FB sorc with a summonable minion...

9. Marahumm

Marahumm IncGamers Member

I don't know if you're going single or multiplayer, but for weapons you could always slip your barb/pally a hellforge hammer and/or khalim's will. neither have str/lvl requirements so at lvl 1 you'll be wrecking shop pretty easily :D

10. Haru

Haru IncGamers Member

Again we come back to the muling, would really like to try to avoid that... but maybe its difficult not to with any mellee class.

Was wondering, for the elemental damage aura paladin... does a bow/crossbow/throwing weapon works well? or would that require me to get a lot more IAS, hence making it very item dependant as well?

Ah, yes, should be more specific, closed b.net, hardcore (I dont mind being fragile if the build doesnt require for me to be on the target's face, hence the mana comment), but I am thinking of going alone and again, untwinked =P (though I might change that slightly... but still that's not idea here)

Still, could never mule a hammer, and too lazy to make khalim (nor do I have any char that can do such atm), still nice to be remembered of that detail, thanks.

11. Thanatar

Thanatar IncGamers Member

I've never timed any build, but I recently did a hardcore fish 1 to 84 in 6 days. I don't know how many hours I played, but I was working days and played alot at night. It died to a lag spike and a might aura'd charging Pindleskin group in Hell. I'm guessing it was between 36 and 45 hours of play. Anyone have times on leveling with other classes?

12. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Any You like to Play

Time flies when your having fun.

Ventrell likes this.
  13. Haru

Haru IncGamers Member

wow, that was quite some lvling you did there =P
    I usually get bored with speed cause I spoiled myself by playing assa with at lest lvl 9 bos (meaning running speed), tis so hard to change to anything else after it =X

hehe, true true... though the first 25 lvls are usually a pain for me, unless I am playing crazy builds with friends, then its fun.
    Problem is sometimes fun = no kills >:
    Also most of the times I dont have someone to play with, I used to have a good legit friend, night_pisces or something like that in europe, was for me, the best legit HC player ever, we used to play for hours being crazy. however he stopped playing cause uni and gf (meaning, he got a life xP). will be forever missed ;_;

14. Gamekk

Gamekk IncGamers Member

I'm not sure to understand the topic @ orignial post. Is this a question like : what character is the fastest to level like around 80 solo (or at the restart of a ladder) or which character can level fastest to 99?

I once tried to race ladder once it reseted and after 33 real life hours (in which i slept for about 7 hours) I was #2 and #1 paladin for more then 24 hours. It was a hammerdin build. Concept was to be able to kill hell baal with crap gear. Only thing i traded for was a wizardspike. I was in the firsts to be able to do hell baals.

Otherwise if you want to know what class can go fastest to 80 I'd suggest sorc. With crap gear it can tele and rush itself. Chain lighting or Blizzard can almost solo anything, and when playing with others they will clear your immunities (which only start in hell). Sorc definitly best char if you want to level to a potent-low level.

15. wickedswami

wickedswami IncGamers Member

I think about 90% of the people replying in this thread are missing the point. What OP wants, (imo) is, for every kind of character (assa, sorc, etc), to find the fastest way to get out of normal/nightmare, so he can start with the real part of the game.

some hints:
    zon: power strike, put some tir runes in your gear, and one shot everything. Goes very fast in normal, for nightmare, just continue fishyzon.
    Pala: Holy fire clears normal very easily, respec to frost on NM, do whatever you want in hell. Add points to zeal to keep a descent AR. Hammerdin could be faster but aura is not manadependant (and less boring then ANOTHER hammerdin :))

16. Haru

Haru IncGamers Member

Yes, that seems to be the case, maybe I didnt explain myself well enough >_<.

Thanks for the hints. Actually was thinking of trying hammerdin, since I havent for more than a year, but will keep that one in mind