Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Fashion Plates: The Tournament (Sign up and Play!)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by wildjinn, Mar 31, 2004.

1. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

Fashion Plates: The Tournament (Sign up and Play!)

So much of Diablo2 is based on usefulness and killing ability. This tournament, however, is one of pure aesthetics. We often outfit our characters in less-than-pleasant clothing to make them killing machines, but this time, we're going to dress them up nicely. Scoring in this tournament is based on style points: how well you dress, how interesting your build, and how fearless your quest are all elements of style.

This tournament has a low set of requirements: bring 3 themed characters through normal difficulty. There are many options, though, for the fashion-aspiring individual.

Rules

Character Selection
    Three or four different characters per entrant will be each played through normal difficulty, entirely single-player (no MPing allowed), each from a different color group and character class.

Characters can be either HC or SC, but must be untwinked.

The banned subclasses are as follows: Skellimancer, Frozen Orb Sorc, Hammerdin, Shapeshifter Druid, Lighting Trapassin, Iron Barb, and Lightning Fury zon.

Each HC character taken through normal difficulty will give you 7 style points, a very stylish number.

One style point will be deducted from your grand total for each fallen HC character. However, this point can be regained by using one appropriately colored, non-replaceable piece of equipment on that character's designated avenger. The piece of equipment must be put on before entering the Durance. Avenging characters will be of the same color family and build as their avengee and will also be named after their avengee. (e.g. Iphinome II would be the avenger of Iphinome)

Each SC character taken through normal difficulty will net you 5 style points, minus one point for each death. SC characters cannot be avenged, as they are immortal.

Pressing the escape key for a pause in the action (presumably to straighten your tie or wipe off some demon blood) is allowed, although Save and Exiting is disallowed.

All quests must be completed.

Two style points will be added for the pure use of any of the following classes: Poison Necro (no corpse explosion use), Charged Boltress, Ranger Druid (all summons), Smiter, Spearazon, Singing Barb, or Shadow Skill Assassin.

One point will be added for each character that matches their skills to their color choice: Yellow for a Lightning Sorc, Blue for a Defiance Paladin, etc...

One point will be added for each single-tree character with the exception of the already-named two-point subclasses.

If a character is particularly well-themed, I reserve the right to add style points at whim, although I won't add more than one per character. :p

If you write a story about your character's exploits, that character will have a 2-point bonus. Stories are merely a descriptive and compelling paragraph per act.

Item Rules
    The color options are as follows: Red, Black, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple

A combination of two colors may be used if necessary, at a cost of two points.

Merchants may not be "run" to shift item inventories, and gambling is entirely allowed and is encouraged. What more stylish way can you gain clothing? This would be a more stringent rule if it wasn't for gems. Use them to color socketed items.

Required colored items will be those that you wear on each character that change the character's outward appearance. In and only in the event of a discrepancy between the displayed color and item colored, he displaying color is the important color, not the inventory screen color. I have to OK a discrepancy as well for it to be counted.

As your character enters the Ancients' Way, their gear becomes permanently bonded to them--this ensures that you stay true to your fashion sense for the end of the game.

One style point will be added for each character (other than a Barbarian) wearing a Circlet upon entering the Ancients' way.

One style point will be added for each Barbarian wearing an Avenger Guard upon entering the Ancient's way.

One style point will be deducted from each character wearing a Bone Helm or Cap upon entering the Ancients' way.

Skills that modify (even somewhat) the color of items will make those items count as that color. (i.e. Venom, Enchant, Poison Dagger)

Each additional item of the character's color scheme will give you 1 additional style point on the completion of Normal difficulty, as will matching rings. This will ensure that, while you may be fashionable on the outside, you will also be rewarded for being fashionable on the inside.

Additional Rules
    No act bosses may be killed more than once. Running them is very uncool. No area may be cleared more than twice with the notable exception of the harem--the most stylistically interesting tileset in the game.

Mercenaries are legal. If you reasonably (as per my judgement) fit them into the theme of your character, you will be allotted one point. Using an Act 3 mercenary will also add a point.

That's it for the rules that I can think of. More will be added if necessary. In order to keep track of everyone's characters, each update will be posted in a table (found at the end of this post)

I've got a cool color-themed prize for the end of this. When it's over, I'd love screenshots from each of you of all your characters. I'll make a huge collage of them. :) Reply to this thread to sign up or with any questions.

Also, I will play in this tournament, but won't count.

When characters are completed, post a tally of how many points you think you deserve and I'll decide and update the table accordingly. Please do not update the table with points.

Code:
    Forum Name     Character name   Build             Color     Act HC/SC Points
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    wildjinn       Samael           Poisonmancer      Green     A1  HC    -
                   Hathor           Shadow Assassin   Blue      A1  HC    -
                   Ho-Masubi        HolyFiredin       Red       A1  HC    -
                   Heimdallur       Singing Barb      Black     A1  HC    -

The easiest way to complete the table is by copying it into notepad or textedit and switching to courier font--that will let you know what the spacing will look like with your entry. Anyone who says, "I can't figure out the table, someone update this for me" will lose three points. Anyone who asks for help on how to do it themself will be given the necessary instructions.

This tournament will conclude in some reasonable amount of time. We'll see how long. I'll provide something for each of the top three contestants. If you're interested in donating colored prizes, let me know by email or PM. If you finish your required four characters and wish to continue making stylish characters, please update the table with them. Your highest-point characters will be the ones that count.

Now, go and begin killing with style!

[email protected]

2. El Communisto

El Communisto IncGamers Member

Interesting idea. I've got a question for you though:

How many points do I lose for having my printer run out of stylish black ink whilst attempting to print out the long ruleset? :D

I think I'm in. Give me a few minutes to sort out character builds and try to make one of those fancy tables.

EC

3. wildjinn

heh. :embarassed: They're long, but i'm trying to encourage some craziness. Join up, everyone! This tournament is about leisure, so it's meant to be a relaxed process best done while sipping a pleasant age-specific drink and enjoying the wonderfulness of D2. :) These characters are eligible for the HCL, AFAIK, and can be a great start for some crazy new characters you've always been meaning to make.

4. El Communisto

Yeeargh. I have NO IDEA how to build that fancy table. Can you give me some instructions there, wildjinn?

I'll get started on my characters in a minute. Am planning to work with a poison-necro first. I've been tinkering with the idea for a while.

EC

5. wildjinn

Sure. First open Notepad or Word, and set your font to courier. The font change is what makes this work. Copy the test table I made and paste it into whatever application you're using to create the table. Then, type in your name on the next line. Once your name is in, use the space bar to move over to the character section. Type in your character name, and repeat for each section of the table.

Then, make a reply to the thread. Open the table with a with a [c0de] tag (replace the 0 with an o), which will format all of your stuff into the courier font and will put it in a box. Paste in whatever you made in word or notepad and then type [/c0de] and it should reformat it properly.

It will look like crap when you paste it in, but if you hit the preview post button, it should clean up a bit. The default font for the boards has differerent widths for each letter, but the code tag makes it so that you use a font that has the same width for each letter and the space bar.

Here's what my table would look like if not formatted with the
    Code:
     tag.

Forum Name     Character name   Build             Color     Act HC/SC Points
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    wildjinn       Samael           Poisonmancer      Green     A1  HC    -
                   Hathor           Shadow Assassin   Blue      A1  HC    -
                   Ho-Masubi        HolyFiredin       Red       A1  HC    -
                   Heimdallur       Singing Barb      Black     A1  HC    -

I hope that's helpful. If not, let me know what part you're getting stuck on and I'll try to explain as best I can.

6. El Communisto

Hm... It's not working for me. It either comes out with one word per line, or everything on one line. Even with copy/paste. I'll fiddle around with it while I'm at work, but if I can't get it within a reasonable amount of time (i've already spent an hour trying to get this, and it's not working...) then I'm just going to take the hit and have someone do it for me.

EC

7. wildjinn

Well, poop. You don't really have to take a 3-point penalty. That was mostly so that people would try to work it out before giving up. PM me with your list and I'll get it straightened out.

8. Naraka

Naraka IncGamers Member

Question.. i'm a relative newb when it comes to socketing stuff, and for the sake of not wasting valuable gems, as well as looking for prefixes as to what causes what colors, what gems cause what colors? Like.. I know the obvious, rubies cause red, sapphires cause blue, etc etc. What color do diamonds make? Skulls?

Also, what types of articles cause different colors? I.e. blue items typically have something to do with cold, red items with fire, etc.

I'm gonna try it but I might need to do some experimenting...

Also... Say you have a 3-socket sword, and your color is green. So naturally, you would put an emerald in there. BUT! I know one thing, additional gems won't change the color, so you could put saph's or rubies in there for other damage types... Would that be point deduction? I.e. if you socket that sword with emerald, ruby, topaz, compared to a point bonus if you just did 3 emeralds?

Nar

9. Naraka

Naraka IncGamers Member

My entries are as follows (uncreated characters may change as I think more about them)

Code:
    Forum Name  Character name  Build              Color     Act HC/SC Points
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    naraka      AnnaLisa        Explo/Immo Amazon  Red       A1  SC    -
                Unnamed         Ghost Assasin*     Black     A1  SC    -
                Unnamed         CBoltress          Yellow    A1  SC    -
                Unnamed         Wolf Druid         Blue      A1  SC    -

*: Assassin will not only be shadow skills only, but also limited to 
    etheral items as they are found. She will also specialize in Fade, to 
    become etheral herself. I believe this deserves extra style points!

/me prays this chart works.... :)

10. Naraka

Naraka IncGamers Member

Wow... no one wants to play this? Hehehe... fine! I'll do it all myself!! :)

AnnaLisa is currently Lvl 16, moving somewhat slowly through Act 1, is just now starting on the Barracks area. Early on she found a good necro wand that netted her 5k gold and allowed her to better equip herself, as well as buy some good socketed armors and helms and bows. Her gem finding skills have been absolutely astounding, got a chipped ruby in the blood moor, and has been finding tons of chipped gems all over the place. She's been able to ruby-ize (it's her favorite gem, obviously) her armor and her helm, allowing her to get the distinctive red color she will be famous for.

Her best and WOW most appropriate find so far? Bloodfist, a nice pair of red gloves that dropped in the Pit!! She's quite pleased with this find and is looking forward towards more finds like this. She's also looking for Death's set and Hsaru's set, both of which were made with Red In Mind!

She's not quite sure if she wants to keep using explosive arrow or go nuts and get as far as possible with Immo Arrow... considering she'll be done once she beats normal Baal, that should be around level 35 or so. Won't give her much room to max anything out really.

OTHER PEOPLE JOIN! :)

Nar

11. wildjinn

Awesome. Even if it is just the three of us, we'll rock this joint. :)

And to answer your previous question: the first socket that gives it the color is the only one that matters for color purposes...for style purposes, that's up to you. :)

edit: and sorry, Nar, the wolf is a banned subclass. :( We can't even see his fancy threads!

12. Naraka

Naraka IncGamers Member

Ooh! I guess I should rephrase that. Wolf MINION druid.... not werewolf druid. :)

And hey... yeah if it's just the 3 of us, it just goes to show we're the most fashionable of all of SPF!

rofl

Fun times :)

13. Naraka

Naraka IncGamers Member

Doh it won't let me edit. 8(

AnnaLisa is now in Act 2, at Level 20. She's got a whole stash full of chippies just waiting for that darn cube! Which will henceforth be known as 'The Jewelry Box'.

14. El Communisto

I haven't had too much time to play in the last few days, so hopefully I'll get some play time tonight. Still need to sort out what classes I'm going to play. Right now, I'm leaning towards a ranger druid, singer barb, smitadin and a spearazon. 3 of the 4 I've never really tried. At least not as a single tree character anyways. I gave up on the idea of a poisonmancer after looking at the tree. Just didn't look like it was going to work for me.

If it's just the 3 of us, that's fine with me. I just enjoy playing D2.

EC

15. Naraka

Naraka IncGamers Member

Annalisa is almost done with Act 2, she's at Level 24 now, and starting her Magi Canyon run and clearing out all 7 tombs of Ral Tasha... err Tal Rasha... Newest finds to date, which she found all in the Far Oasis and Maggot Lair Level 1: Gorefoot, a 27% Nagelring, and a Felloak unique club. Shes' using the Gorefoots for now, even though they're totally not her color, mainly for the faster run/walk and a little bit of mana leech.... her immo/exploding arrows are really sucking down her mana reserves, and she's had to attach a mana potion IV as one of her armor sockets. And it's probably going to get worse as she puts more skill points in....

Stats 50 str/52 dex/41 vit/53 nrg, 219 life 106 mana. She's crusing around with a well dressed Defense merc, Fazel, with a ruby socketed helm, ruby socketed chain mail, and a rare Bardiche. As soon as she finds something better for him he'll get upgraded, but he's doing decent damage right now.

That's about it! She should be out of Act 2 and thru Act 3 by tomorrow morning, assuming I play all night here at work. :)

Naraka

p.s.: 50th post! w00t! :)

16. El Communisto

Hm... I swear I posted an update in here before I went to work. Bloody squid.

Anyways, I got some play time in, and got some stuff done. Here's my layout, though I've given up on that table.

Bunko - Spearazon - Purple - A1 (lvl 17) - HC
    Strongmad - Smitadin - Red - A1 - HC
    Ichi - Ranger Druid - Yellow - A1 - HC
    Pavoratti - Singer Barb - Blue - A1 - HC

Bunko is the only one I've gotten started thusfar, and she stopped after knocking off the countess. I've been extremely unlucky with items thusfar. I've gotten maybe 2 items worth more than 1500 gold thusfar. I've been getting piles upon piles of junk rares (and I mean JUNK. Mods like +1 to max damage, +3% fire resist, +4 to attack rating.) Gheed nearly earned himself a whopping by giving me the same Trident of Craftsmanship 9 times in a row while trying to table a decent one. Had he tried that once more, I would've jammed my current trident up his arse sideways. :rant:

Bah. 3 more hours at work.
    EC

17. Kool69

Kool69 IncGamers Member

Kool69-Looks like an interesting tourney, and I sometimes make my characters have cool outfits that match and look cool. Like black necros and such. Okay a few questions: One-Can you use runewords? Two-Is the Ancients that your items get "stuck" to you normal difficulty? Three-Is it okay that two of my classes are already being used? Four-Can my poisonmancer use summons? P.S. All of these characters maybe changed.

Forum Name Character name Build Color Act HC/SC Points
    Nith Poisonmancer Green A1 SC -
    Zak HFreeze Paladin Blue A1 SC -
    Lireal CBoltress Yellow A1 SC -
    Sabriel Bladasin(maybe) Black A1 SC-

EDIT: One more question, can you use all 3 skill trees or just 1 and/or 2?

18. wildjinn

1.) Yes.
    2.) it's when you enter the ancients' way, the area before the arreat summit.
    3.) Yes.
    4.) sure, but he won't get the extra points. :)

cool to have you on board! the numbers of the fashion-conscious are growing. :)

19. farting bob

farting bob Banned

red and yellow are easiest to get, as those items brougththat have +life, or +gold (i think) appear red or yellow. black is the hardest to get, as skulls are rarer and is the only thing that makes items black.
    oh, and extra style poitns shoudl go to runewords that match the colour, as untwinked in normal you can really only expect to get 1 runeword (the quest reward in act 5). so wearing runwords should get extrapoints, and matching them to your colour shoudl get loads of points.
    i would jin, but my list of tounrey entries thatrquire alot of development is waay to high as it is.

20. El Communisto

Update time:

Bunko has somehow made it into A2 at level 20. The jail/catacombs area of A1 was just horrible. D2 is obviously jealous that I've reinstalled Fallout and Fallout 2 (inspired by the recent article on the front page) and am playing that as well. Bunko had AWFUL luck for the entire back half of the act. From the barracks on, it was pretty much all skeleton archers, bone mages and...er...those big guys who growl and shoot balls of lightning at you. Lots of those things. LOTS. The catacombs had litterally nothing else. :rant: LOTS of NDE's the entire way though that area as well.
    Two highlights though:
    1 - Because I'm sticking with a single tree, I put a bunch of points into Power Strike and am working on Charged Strike right now in prepearation for lightning strike. Level 14 PS adds 1-550ish damage. I knocked out that unique bone mage in the Cathedral in one shot on /players 8! Yeah!
    2 - Andarial was absurdly easy. Took me 20 hits at the most to drop her on players 8.

Ah well. Hopefully things improve for her as she strolls into the desert. Knowing my luck, however, I'll probably run into hoards upon hoards of lightning beatles and those jumpy things that back up several feet when you hit them. :rolleyes: Time will tell.

EC