Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Farting bob's top 5 new rune ideas

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by farting bob, Apr 11, 2005.

?

Is it okay to get mad?

1. Yes: Anger is a natural feeling. It needs to be expressed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No. Anger is a bad feeling. You must control/dominate it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Get laid ASAP.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Farting bob's top 5 new rune ideas

Its been a while since my last top 5, really stuggling to think of topics, but i finally got 1 i can make. This one is about runes. Not about the current batch, but if you could take blizzard over and revamp D2, adding a whole new rune, what would you add?
    Rather than go the bnet way of wanting 1 that adds +3 all skills and +30 res all, these runes will be judged on 2 things. the stats and the rarity. I'll compare each 1 to a current rune to give you an idea.
    So let us begin, with the help of my sexy virtual assistant, my top 5 new rune ideas!

50% extra durability
    Adds a total of 50% durability to any item, including etheral. eg: a eth item has 30 out of 40 durabiltiy, adding this would give it 45 out of 60 durability. a cheap answer to zodding.
    Rarity about the same as a mal/ist

+1 to a random skill tree
    This rune does not add 1 to all skills, but 1 to one of your skill trees. It would do this by when you socket it, it would select a tree, then act like a normal +1 to x skills item. It cannot be changed after you socket it, so it's kind of like gambling. If your a meteorb sorc and you get lightning, tough titties.
    Rarity about the same as a cham/zod

+50% AR, -5% defence
    This rune is special in that it boosts your AR by a big 50%, yet it also has a downside. -5% total defence (not just in that item) while equiping this rune makes it more intersting. Brings back memories of cursed items from D1 that ruined so many wonderful item finds.
    Rarity about the same as a ber.

-10 to enemy res
    Much like the tal-thul runes that add elemental damage, there would be 4 of these that would reduce enemy res of that elemental type by 10. Not sure where the cap for -enemy res, but these guys would help you reach it if you got the sockets available.
    Rarity about the same as a Pul.

+5 to all attributes
    There are runes for +10 to the indivudual attributes, but this 1 would add 5 to all 4, making it potentially much more beneficial. Ideal if you need to boost 2 or 3 attributes early in the game.
    Rarity about the same as ko/fal.

Thats the 5, decide now or suffer the consequences!! Ph34r m3 !1oneone!11!

2. NeckRomancer

NeckRomancer IncGamers Member

I picked +1 to a random skill tree. But I disagree with the rarity because of the random tree factor. It should be on the Um range so a bad tree assignment (+1 to defensive auras anyone?) doesn't hurt that much and you can look forward to trying again.

3. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I was thinkin g it should be lower, but then if it were as rare as an um then it would be easy to get lots of them. im my time in 1.10 ive seen 6 um or better runes drop. getting 6 +skills (if your using 2 or 3 trees equally you stand a better chance of getting something you like) will unbalance the game IMO, so making them rare prevents people from collecting loads of them and making there character too uber.

4. tenaka

tenaka IncGamers Member

I voted based on the assumption that there would also be runewords in line with existing ones that used these runes. That factored into whether or not I would traight socket them into an item rather than save it for a runeword.

1. While it sounds useful I probably would never use it. More killing power or the ability to not die, is always more alluring.

2. I think this is right were it should be as far as rarity vs. usefulness. However I don't see any reason to add runes that I will never see :)

3. This would be very useful on certain builds and I almost voted for it. However it is rare enough that I won't see many, if any, so there was one better choice.

4. Here is my vote. You wouldn't have to spend too many weeks in LK to get a handful of these (after cubing) and they are highly useful to any elemental damaging build.

5. Maybe if it was at the el level, but I never find myself socketing items for attributes.

5. Zavior

Zavior IncGamers Member

-10% enemy res rune. Too owerpowered I'd say, I dont want to imagine light sorcs with these on ;)

6. jgreg7

jgreg7 IncGamers Member

Interesting choices this time, FB!
    I went with "+50% AR, -5% defence", even though the rarity was a bit high for my taste. "-10 to enemy res" was also tempting, but I like the Faustian bargain aspect of the first too much not too choose it.

7. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

50% extra durability: for a Mal/Ist level rune? It would still be better to hold out for a Zod.

+1 random skill tree: at that rarity you'd have to stick it in something that is common to many characters (Skullder's, Harlequin Crest, etc.) to make it worthwhile, and even then you risk a 'useless' tree.

+50% AR, -5% defence: yeah, but then I could still take a CB setup and a 6-Eth Phase Blade and hit anything, with no reduction in defence. If it were, say, +25% damage, -5% defence/res-all, about the rarity of Um, it would be much better.

-10 Enemy Res: Also known as 'the really expensive alternative to a Facet'. Some builds might benefit from it, but this would be like the 4xOhm, Zod perfect Ethereal Rune Master - immensely powerful but impossible to benefit from, cause you'll never make it.

+5 to all attributes: Needs to be rarer than the +10 to one attribute runes, as it's far more valuable. Otherwise, a pretty good one.

I'd say +5 all stats. Can't go wrong, although the rarity needs upping (then downing, along with all the other runes, but oh well *shrug*)

8. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

1. Extra durability is nice, but not something I'd waste a socket space for...Usually the only things that require extra durability are weapons and I'd 10x rather have a Shael or enhanced damage jewel. I've never really had problems with durability. And for ethereal items...it's still going to break.

2. The randomness kills it for me. Also it's kind of underpowered, especially when you consider how easy it is to get skillers. I don't really see the appeal here, unless you get something like a six-socketed crystal sword or something, and even then you need to be lucky. Maybe just a plain +1skill, with that rarity it won't have much effect on gameplay, and even if you find it, it's not going to do a world of difference.

3. Could be a very nice rune for some builds, that don't use some sort of combat skill/mastery (druid hunter for example). Don't think it would be very useful for most classes, since 50% attack rating really isn't all that sweet, and the -5% defence would just be a novelty.

4. You already have rainbow facets, so I don't really like these guys.. could be very usefull though.

5. This is the one I chose, seems nice, although I don't think I'd ever use it except for socketing caster weapons.

You still have to find a place to socket them...So I don't think they would unbalance the game. Even an armor that gave +4 cold skills, wouldn't be too über compared to say an Um'ed Vipermagi. And it's not like Um's are falling from the sky.

9. Dan334477

Dan334477 IncGamers Member

The +1 skill tree one is waaaaay too rare, so let me expand on what Chimaira just said.

1. +One skill tree can be accomplished with a GC, which are MUCH more common than cham/zod.

2. (The main reason) No one would ever socket 4 of these runes in an armor or shield or something, because you only have a chance of getting +the tree you want. If a cold sorc puts 4 into a jewelers plate of the whale, she may very well end up with +2 fire, +1 light, +1 cold, which suck in comparison to +1 all and other nice bonuses. So you just wasted 4 mid-high level runes for a trash armor.

3. What happens if you fill the socket with a sorc, but then move the item to a paladin? The sorc would put +sorc skills on the item, but now you have a paladin with +sorc skills? Socketing with this rune gives the socketed item HEAVY bias toward the character that socketed it.

10. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Hmm, they'd be a little more interesting if they did different things being socketed into weapons, like most of the runes we have (zod and the +stat runes are the only exceptions iirc)
    I vote for the -enemy resistance runes because i want my sexy sorceress to *decimate* those baddies. (and besides i don't really think i will ever see cham/zod rarity runes except for other people's screenshots, so the skiller rune doesn't sound like a charming option)
    btw. your -res runes would do naught against immunes, right? (otherwise they'd be awfully overpowered imho)

11. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

They could work like vengence, it lowers resist over 100% but at a reduced level. ie. critter has 102% (immune, but barely) -5% resistance would lower it to 99%, if it's cold and your sorc has cold mastery, this would allow the CM to kick in (couldn't before) and if it's another element it'd be able to do some damage at least.

12. kabal

kabal IncGamers Member

There's already a rune (Gul) that gives +20% AR, so another rune of Ber rarity or more that gives +50% AR, -5% defense would be pretty redundant. Like a Gul rune, the boost to AR isn't as much as you'd think, since the +xx% is additive instead of multiplicative.

The -10 resists rune, however, would be insane especially if it broke immunities and only had the rarity of a Pul. Stick 6 of these in a crystal sword and 4 of them in a monarch (total of -100 resists, for the price of 10 puls = ist or gul) and it'd be like having your own conviction aura at all times. Blizz sorcs using that setup would absolutely trash everything.

13. Stony

Stony IncGamers Member

Any single rune giving +1 to skills, even only one skill tree, would be similarly ridiculous. Extra durability, though, would be well in keeping with the powers of the other runes, as well as being occassionally useful.

Stony

14. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

I think you meant conviction water_moon :)

I vote for the +50%ar -5% def. Ar is something that doesn't really overpower a build and it would help a lot of builds with ar problems eg. meleemancer. It can't be that rare though.

Everything else has potential to create over-powered builds but if they're like high runes now, it doesn't matter. We'll never see them.

15. ChaoticTwitch

ChaoticTwitch IncGamers Member

I agrea with sunbearie, most of the other runes would potentialy create over powered builds. but they would be sweet ;) i voted +50%AR -5% def.

cheers, C.T.

16. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

-10% res all would make sorcs somewhat uber. You could get -170% res all if you did all socketed items with those... of course then you couldn't equip uniques there, but you could make up the FCR and resists on jewelry, belts, gloves, boots, and most of all charms. That'd be pretty dang sweet. Imagine that on a fireball sorc with maxed synergies and FM. Damn.

17. Gohanman

Gohanman IncGamers Member

I've always thought there should be a FCR rune (complementary to shael, so similar rarity).

18. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

I agree. Even jewels have ias but none no fcr. You can't get ias on jewelry so I feel its slightly fair.