Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

farming vortex shields

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Kefka, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Kefka

Kefka IncGamers Member

farming vortex shields

is the masoleum the best place to find tc87 vortex shields?

i'm interested in making that perfect bnet exile...in sp.
    anyone had any sucess with this?

kefka

2. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

Re: farming vortex shields

Why did you pick the Mausoleum and not some other alvl85 area? I'd image they're all pretty similar in terms of dropping them. Personally, I think Exile is a waste of a Vex rune though and certainly not worth find a perfect Vortex Shield for :p

3. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

Correct me if I'm wrong... I often am...You're not going to find tc87 socketables in a alvl85 area. The bosses can't drop socketables.

4. Hammy

Hammy IncGamers Member

I believe every monster is capable of droping TC 87, but only only the bosses can drop the high ilvl items (Arachnid Mesh, Azurewrath, and Tyrael's)

I know I've gotten plenty of white/grey Colossus Blades in the Pits...

-Hammy

5. iLoco

iLoco IncGamers Member

The Mausoleum has armor racks unlike other lvl85 areas. Which i guess will make Vshields easier to find.

*Unless armor racks don't drop them :p

6. Kimppi

Kimppi IncGamers Member

The chests/racks only drop up to TC66 there.

7. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

If you want a [email protected] eth vortex shield, good luck. If you want a 'perfect' one with the best defense roll, then I hope you have your wrist brace ready.

My experience is that [email protected] paladin shields are about 1 in 200 shields making an ethereal [email protected] one about 1 in 4000. Getting 4-sockets from the cube is another 1 in 2 chance. A perfect defense roll, 1 in lots. A perfect Exile roll, another 1 in lots.

I think that your best bet, assuming there exist racks that can drop tc 87's, is to find a map that regularly drops vortex shields in some place like the drifter cavern, frozen cellar or Nilathak's temple (wherever the shields can actually drop). I'm not sure that it is even possible as racks drop items with area level (not the boosted one for areas such as the pits, I believe) minus 1 so even an area with level 85 will be dropping level 84 items that will probably only drop items with qlvl 84 or less and thus missing all of the tc 87 items.

8. nualum

nualum IncGamers Member

Fairly certain you can rack them in Nilathak's temple in 1.07 if you're really adventurous.

9. Kimppi

Kimppi IncGamers Member

True, but they have lower defence that doesn't get upgraded when bringing forward.

10. Hammy

Hammy IncGamers Member

And cube socketing 1.07 ethereal armor produces some bad results because of how the ethereal bonus is calculated. I am not sure on the specifics (would have to look at the fomula again), but any 1.07 ethereal armor is essentially worthless.

11. zerth

zerth IncGamers Member

Exile is one of the three top zealot shields (the other two being HoZ and Phoenix) and arguably the best. For me the only turnoff is the ctc Life Tap (overrides Decrepify from merc's Reaper's Toll). The defense boost is far from useless, 25K+ def is notable in every area of the game.

IMO the best base would be a Sacred Targe followed by a Sacred Rondache. You can farm these in LK (not sure about Vortex Shields dropping there though). Here is a video I made when I farmed Sacred Rondaches for my Exile. As the others said, the odds are not good, I ended up using an ebugged [email protected] (honestly, going for a [email protected] would be a waste of time).

12. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Would have thought a Sacred Targe would be better, higher block, lower str requirements, less defence however. And they can be racked, unlike tc87s.

13. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

That was my initial thought; why not just rack a targe/rondache... an eth 4x res vortex is the proverbial needle in a haystack, in a 10 acre field full of haystacks.