Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Farming as a necromancer

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Danisimo01, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Danisimo01

Danisimo01 IncGamers Member

Hey guys. I came back to Diablo 2 after quite some time and decided to play a class I have very little experience with. The necromancer and to top it off i decided to play HC. I've read trough guides and I'm doing very well I've cleared normal and nightmare and now I'm trying to farm items for hell and it's incredibly hard to be efficient. I'm playing a skelliemancer with a friend who plays a barb. In general I can clear mobs much faster than him but for boss runs my performance is pitiful it's 2 to 3 times slower than his. Even when the WP is exactly next to Mephisto. I find that getting my army up in places like Durance of hate is extremely inconsistent due to constantly encountering very different mob densities and some times there's even elites right on top of the WP making my merc's job that much harder. Getting them going in Blood moor however also takes a very long time, about as long as the actual boss run. I also tried farming the WS K with mf gear constantly on and ending with Baal but that proved to be too dangerous for my character's health. Is there any way to be at least semi efficient? All I want is to get some items so I can start progressing and eventually farming hell. Either a more optimal way to farm bosses or farming ones full of super uniques with mf gear constantly on or sth.

On a side note I'm also finding it extremely difficult to position minions around meph my urdars are almost never able to hit him and some times even some skellies can't get an angle to attack. Tried porting back to town to regroup but to little success. This poor noob welcomes any and all tips. :D

2. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

You can start each game by popping into Anya's red portal to Pindleskin's garden. There are tons of dead bodies lying around on the ground that you can use Raise Skeleton on before they animate and try to attack you. You may not have time to raise your complete army before they wake up, but you should be able to get at least eight to ten.

Skelliemancers are slow boss runners, it's very true. It can help to make sure your merc has Crushing Blow gear on (Guillaume's Face for a helmet, for example.) I've been running Baal and Diablo with mine recently, and have been messing around with various Crushing Blow weapons on my own weapon switch to swing in between refreshing Decrepify. I lose a couple skeletons by switching away from my +skills gear, but my overall kill time is greatly improved.

Having said that, skelliemancers really shine at area killing rather than single target killing. The Pit in Act 1 is probably the best place to run over all, although that can get boring. I like to do what I call a Grand Tour - I raise my initial army at Pindleskin, and go in and kill him. I port out, and start my sweep through the Acts - the Pit and Andariel in Act 1, Lower Kurast, Travincal and Meph in Act 3, Diablo in Act 4, and Baal in Act 5. It's enough variety to keep things interesting.

Good luck to you!

3. Danisimo01

Thank you for the useful information. There's just one thing I don't understand. I've mostly farmed bosses when I've played this game before because when this game was in it's prime(or at least was a lot closer to it) I was at the beginning/middle of my teens and wasn't exactly a pro gamer(not implying that I am currently but I am a lot better.) I simply can't wrap my mind on the concept of efficiently farming elites in d2. Out of personal experience I'd say that farming elites with no MF on will get you around 1 unique per 50/60 elite kills on average. You can bring that down to say 20 with fairly basic MF gear which makes it worth considering over pure boss farming but places like WS K can be very dangerous with their guest mobs and such and on my necro with my MF gear my resistances drop to 10's and 20's on nightmare and I've actually been close to dying several times while trying to farm it with 10 snapshotted skellies and then switching over to mf for the rest of the run. I also can't see it being worth it to switch to MF gear for every single elite mob and then back to normal gear. This used to be a practice for a time in D3 but it feels like swapping gear fast was a lot easier there. Now my skelliemancer doesn't even have an issue with damage because as long as I have 9-10 snapshotted skellies I can clear most maps fairly efficiently but I'm not even able to begin to grasp how a character that actually relies on his skills to do damage in real time can effectively farm for items in a zone like WS K.

I got a little carried away sorry. :D I do like my babbling so yeah TL;DR how do you mf in entire zones?

4. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow IncGamers Member

Having better gear always helps. :D

Do The Pit in Act 1 Tamoe Highland and The Ancient Tunnels in Act 2 Lost City. Any item in the game can drop in those places and the monsters are easy enough to kill. The only advantages WSK and Chaos Sanctuary have over the Pit and the Tunnels are more experience and the bosses at the end. The disadvantage is much stronger monsters.

Until you find Homunculus and Arm Of King Leoric, use two Spirits or +2 Necro (or +3 Summon) wand and head. Pick up every circlet and amulet in the hopes of a +2 Necro (or +3 Summon). Check the wands for sale every time you are in town. Definitely have a casting switch and a resist or MF switch, as the situation dictates, and if you're just starting out, don't be afraid to have some other switch gear in stash as well. Cast the summons at as high a level as you can, then put on the MF gear and hit the Pit and the Tunnels. On /players 1, they should be easy enough even untwinked.

4 PTopaz armour and 3 PTopaz helm is 168 MF already. It's a good start.

What are "snapshotted skellies"?

Do you have a Might merc with Insight? That will help a lot, both by increasing skeleton damage and by allowing you to blast CE. Don't bother with running bosses until you have CB gear for the merc (you can also switch gear for him before boss fights). It's just not worth the time it takes to find Urdars. To focus all your troops on a target, use an item with Teleport charges.

5. Danisimo01

Sorry if I confused you with my terminology I don't know if this has a specific name in diablo 2 but generally snapshotting is the mechanic in which the game takes a "snapshot" record of the passive and active buffs applied to a Hero at the beginning of a channel. The mechanic allows these buffs to be applied for the duration of the channel, regardless of whether or not the buff ceases to be actively applied to the hero.

In a D2 neco's case it would mean that you could equip gear with+ to raise skeleton and skeletal mastery and summon as powerful minions as your gear allows, then switch that gear with something else and still keep the high stats of the minions. The only thing which D2 doesn't snapshot is the minion cap and if it decreases after minions have been summoned the extra ones die.

As for my gear. My weapon is Carin shard which gives +2 summoning and +1 necro and for the time being my offhand is just for resists and I have another one in my stash for summoning. I'm looking for a monarch to make a spirit though I'm not sure if it's worth to replace the carin stone for another spirit. I'm using the might merc only he doesn't have an insight yet because I haven't found a 4 socket polearm. I usually carry my MF gear around with me(except when I'm farming for whites) but the way I see it when farming for uniques I should put my MF gear on and clear the whole pits with it because otherwise the best I could do is switch items before the elite mobs which seems impractical because there's a high chance my skellies would kill it before I even change all of my items.

What worries me is that just the other day while ressing my army from blood moor on hell I encountered and a fallen elite mob and it died pretty fast but it was cold enchanted and i guess I was standing right at the edge of his aoe range but the cold weave hit me and I had 58 hp after it had hit. I'm always afraid I'l die in a similar fashion while mfing areas like the pit and I couldn't even imagine how you would farm ws k or chaos sacntuary(areas with much more dangerous mobs) when you're basically almost a 1 hit kill in your non resist gear.

6. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

One word: Resists. PDiamond Homunculus, Mosers, Amulet, Rings, Boots, Charms. And always stay behind your army.

7. -PuA-

-PuA- IncGamers Member

don't farm bosses is your first mistake. pits in hell repeatedly with amp and corpse explosion.

esepcialy if playing self found, with no enigma it's worth shopping a tele staff from a vendor or looking out for an amulet with charges so you don't lose the bonuses your weapin/shield give you