Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Farewell, old-schoolers

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Bandreus, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Bandreus

Bandreus Diabloii.Net Member

Farewell, old-schoolers

Greetings dear [email protected] community.

Long time has passed since D3 has been announced. Blizzcon (the best one, as long as D3 goes) is upon us, with its big deal of new chunks of information about the game. People screamed at the game's cartoonish graphics; some cried the long loved Necromancer; burning souls despaired at stat points allocation going away forever; pain flagellated thus who longed for their precious skilltrees (and ability to mix passives and actives, in any given number).

D3 will be a spectacular, enjoyable and highly playable game. Far more balanced (at least we do hope so), streamlined and polished, fun than its predecessors.
    Yet, when the promised day we finally get the chance to play the damn thing, we shall remember to remember, as many tried to warn us.

Yes, all of you modern martyrs, you who chose the way of sorrow, that which has been lastricated with pity and sarcasm reserved to you only. Times have changed, you know it, you knew it. And we won't turn back again, ever.

Farewell to you all. Farewell, old-schoolers.

---

So, I read the latest rants about D3 going to lack on the replayability compartment, where D2 instead had features (intended or not that is) which made for a way more longlasting experience.

I'll be frank. I'm very excited about D3 (how uncommon!), and confident it will be a superb game. We don't know much yet about teh game, that's true but, if anything else, the dev and pr teams never failed to show us how much involved they are into crafting a satisfying experience.

• Gameplay seems to shine like it never did in the series (tactical approach to combat vs. spam ability -> drink pots -> spam ability -> TP).
    • A skill system which is (or at least appears to be) highly innovative and refreshing (treeskills begone, distinct active and passive skill pools, skill runes).
    • Improved character customization, in the forms of known (skill runes, armor dyes, itemization) and yet unknown (talisman, evrything else) systems.
    • Interesting character classes, each with her own resource and gameplay mechanics. Gender selection! (prepare to meet countless Xeena-wannabes).
    • A deeper storyline and much more lore-rich journey through the world of Sanctuary.
    • Monsters exploding everywhere (everybody love explosions).

Strangely enough, a consistent number (even if slowly declining) of people has been whining about various aspects of the game as those were announced, right from the game's announcement. Most of those can't be helped but keep whining for the sake of it, others desperately try to explain how in their opinion D2 (or the original D) shined in a way D3 is not going to. The tiniest fraction politely expressed their criticism over some of the planned innovations.

Nonetheless, their despair is pointless, as Designers explains how their work is "sublime" and for the sake of making a better Diablo into reality, Blizz-fanboys flame over them ("how dare you dream your opinion could be more valuable then that of Blizzard, which clearly makes the best of the best, and piles up so much cash!"), not to say about those who are so unfortunate to awaken the anger of the most sarcastic CM of all the internetz.

Yet, I can't deny I can see where some of those complains are coming from (well, part of those, at the very least). There's this strange feeling, nostalgia mixed with something else, the unexplainable consciousness that even with the refined and masterfully crafted new mechanics and systems, despite the infinite amount of bucks poured into modern game development, something has been ripped off the experience we call by the name of Diablo, by the name of Role-Play-Game alltogether.

I'm going to underline I'm perfectly ok, even glad, with the direction D3's development is going, I faithfully believe we'll have a hell of fun when the game is ready.

But you, old-schooler, you who loved to delve yourself in a world of possibilities where choice was entirely up to you, even if, yes, the game was buggy and often unbalanced, even unfriendly at times, when no tutorial nor "quests" were there to lay TEH road in front of you, and creating an almost unplayable but unique and charismatic character could have been exactly what you planned for. Yes, if you messed up something, chances were you had to start all over again, anyway there was no true "ending" to reach, as the journey was not the destination (regardles the content waiting there for you), and the cap was something you put on top of your head.

Farwell, and rejoice, we shall remember you when we have the greatest time ever by playing D3. Gladly enought, even Blizzard won't be able to make us refrain to pick up the classics again, and re-discover how certain games were intended to be.

Highly suggested readings: Old vs New MMOs pt 1, 2 and 3

2. Nekora

Nekora Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Farewell, old-schoolers

I really don't want to flame you, but I think your main point is way off. You seem to be mourning this idea that games should be unfriendly, broken, and 'customizable' in meaningless ways.

I don't believe that its impossible to make a game that is both friendly towards new players/casual AND to old-school/hardcore types, that you seem to be implying. Or even that this kind of broken gameplay experience Diablo 2 offered is somehow integral to a game satisfying the hardcore.

These old-school gamers are looking for difficulty, not for broken games. Difficulty is the important part. D2 in softcore mode actually was NOT a satisfying game, for these type of people. D2 has a lot to like about it, but high difficulty is not really one of them. This is how I would describe myself. I have played games since before the days of the NES. I don't have as much time to play as I used to, but I am mostly still looking for a challenge, when I play a game.

The way you can make a game like Diablo appeal to all of these disparate groups is with intelligent difficult settings. The casual players get to experience everything in Normal mode, and that is good enough for them. Now if the actual difficulty in subsequent settings jumps, we have a challenging game. In D2, higher difficulty settings were mostly just another run of the game with higher monster and item levels. But in a game with better difficulty scaling, normal is just a warmup, for the people who wish to be challenged. I think this is the direction Blizzard is going in, but I can't be sure.

If you have ever played Monster Hunter, this is a game that caters to the old-school. It's not unbalanced or broken. It's very well designed. The key factor is how high its difficulty goes. Downing your first wyvern (probably Yian Kut-ku) is easy. But monsters like Rajang, Teostra, and Akantor remain a big threat no matter how good your gear becomes. If you get hit too much, you're dead. Most monsters knock out at least a third of your life, often more, if they hit you. At higher levels of play, you MUST know exactly what you're doing.

What we old-school games want is not so different than what everyone else wants. We just want well-designed games. We just want the difficulty to scale high, rather than making beating the game on the highest difficulty level something that is simple to do, with enough grinding, like in D2.

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

if you grew up playing nintendo then none of the games today can really challenge you those were the hardest games.

as for d3 i would like if the game can be beat on hell by most gamers but i want content after that for max only characters that will be damn hard to beat. content outside of the main story so everyone can enjoy the game but there is something left for those who really want to push their limits

4. DWS

DWS Diabloii.Net Member

Interesting how you love all the new mechanics without ever having played it.

5. Nekora

Actually, games like Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry and God of War can challenge me pretty well (the latter 2 on the higher difficulty settings).

Sometimes specific parts in platformers can challenge me. There's a few interesting challenges in the new Mario Galaxy games, for example, but by and large the games are easy.

One thing I do kind of miss is the idea of playing a game to the furthest point you can, and getting better each time. This doesn't tend to happen in commercial games anymore. This is why I love roguelikes, and Hardcore mode in Diablo so much. Spelunky is another great example of this, which is actually relatively new-ish (But in a kinda retro-chic style). I'd recommend you check it out, if you like complex 2D platformers. It's free! :thumbup:

But yeah, you're right, very few games do offer me a challenge anymore. Growing up with the NES era is probably the reason for it. But there are gems that DO offer an appropriate challenge. I think the best designed games out there nowadays offer an experience where those of us who aren't as skilled can see everything, but those of us who are good at the game can challenge ourselves with as well, perhaps with a higher difficulty, resulting in a smaller margin for error.

6. Bandreus

I can't see a reason why I should be flamed, and by the way...you did not! So...

I respectfully disagree. While "difficulty" often was a visceral part of old-school games, there's far more to it.

I think you did catch the point about D3, easy enough for casual/new players to pick up and have fun, challenging enough at Nightmare/Hell/End-game so that the more dedicated can be hooked to play for years to come. At least this is everyone's hope.

By the way, I think I did not mention difficulty at all in the OP... whatever.

Wanderful, wanderful game ^_^
    Well, it is ironic enough that the Monster Hunter series drawed quite a bit from another J-ARPG classic (virtual hugs to the first one telling the name), which in turn greatly resembles D2 in most of its mechanics.
    MH's key factor, to me, is the wanderfully crafted and extremely fun cooperative game experience (most content is available through online mode only). I'm not sure to what extent I'd call MH old-scoolish, maybe in a few departments, but yet you seem to keep the focus on difficulty only. Infact...

It was not my intention to simply spour yet another "D3 is going to be too easy" thread. That is very apparent if you read the OP. Links at the bottom of it are very interesting as well.

Why so? I'm only one among many who are excited about D3. I base my faith and confidence solely about game reports and available info. A faith, of course, which could very well be misplaced, but time will tell.

7. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

Farewell new games welcome mods that bring the challenge back into the game.

In my opinion one of the best game mods ever is the one that disable the compass and fast travel in oblivion.

simply lovely:D

As for your little column you liked to i disagree. The new newbie things in games today make it so that you dont even have to find the npcs yourself you can just tell the game to walk your character there. But one thing was spot on there are no immersion any longer just a endless themepark ride with zone after zone that feels more like very large rooms then a whole world.

i dont know if it is because im starting to get near 30 but todays games to me seems to lack for a better word "soul" at its core.

i dont get the excitment of trying to finish battletoads or Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

Heck a match in todays games very very few times comes close to the feeling when you cleared a town in jagged alliance or jagged alliance 2 on the hardest setting with most mercs still alive or if you did a fantastic job all alive.

8. Nekora

lone_wolf, I gotta whole-heartedly agree with you there.

The worst thing to happen to WoW, in my opinion, was things like QuestHelper and such. Yes, it's convenient. BUt it also takes so much of the allure of exploring the world, and finding your quests and their objectives out of the game.

There are some features that are great, taking the fluff out of a tedious task that never should have been there to begin with. But then again, there's some features that are simply coddling us for the sake of coddling us, and should have never existed.

@Bandreus

Sorry if it seems I was trying to say you meant D3 would be too easy. That's not what I was trying to imply.

What I was trying to say is that the 'broken' nature of D2, and a lot of old school games, is not the feature that made old-school gamers like them, I don't think. I injected difficulty into the conversation myself, because I think difficulty is one of the main things that tie the kind of games that old-school gamers like together.

My idea was, we old-school gamers want the same things everyone else does; good game design. The difference is that we want the game to be difficult enough to challenge us.

By the way, which Japanese game are you speaking of, that Monster Hunter was inspired by? Nothing's ringing a bell, though I'll probably know it if you say the name.

9. Bandreus

Spelunky rocks, seriously.

Challenge is vital to any game. A game which isn't challenging to the player is a game soon to be forgotten into the desk's bottom-most drawer. But there's more to the point, I'm not at all deriving "old-school games are dead" from "today's games are challenging no more".

Back in the days video games (generally speaking) often had to be substantially hard. They needed to be.
    • The true birth of videogames, Arcade gaming, needed (and still needs) games to be hard for players to keep returning. "Insert Coin Please", "Game Over", "Continue?". That was expecialy true during the Golden Age of Arcades
    • Home gaming basically inherited the Arcade style of play. Yet, soon enough, developers understood non-arcade style games needed to be hard as well to help them overcome technology limits. If games were too easy, players would have been able to beat them in no time. Harder games lasted longer.
    So, you see, although we naturaly link games being hard to old-school games, that is not a correct assumption.

Today's improved technology allows for games to be longer, deeper, more complicated, showcasing top-level audio and visual quality, so "difficulty" no longer one of the few weapons developers are able to use to hook up the player. They (smartly) decided to make games easier so that more (and less skilled) players can enjoy videogaming. Of course they do implement higher difficulty options for hardcore players' enjoyment too.

All players simply want well-designed games, that's true,yet today's mainstream and big-budget games definitelly lost the spark, the soul.

Maybe 'cause I'm nearing 30 aswell, but you catched the point entirelly.

For instance, something which has almost entirely left modern gaming is the trial-and-error process. Hell, last thing that's missing is the "play the game in place of me button"... Oh shi*! That was already invented xD

So, remaining on Diablo ground, the devs scraped stat points allocation because it made for people messing up their build and having to reroll a brand new char.

This kind of reasoning behind modern game-making surely is, imho, bringing videogame's design to higher heights, but at the cost of slowly taking a bit of magic away too. Ah, God only knows, after I screwed up countless character, if I was happy and felt rewarded after getting my paladin build just working "Right".

Stat point allocation is a thing of the past. I won't lie, I won't miss it. Ten years have passed, after all, it's time for newer (and better) mechanics and ideas to be tried out.

Not really "inspired", but MH resembled or was built upon many of its mechanics. It's an easy guess, I'll just say the setting for the game was simmetrically opposite.

Oh, another trully great game (one of my most favorite ones ever) I feel like suggesting everyone, is Shadow of the Colossus. Play it if you did not already, you won't regret it. The sense of immersion I get whenever I see or think to it definitely is screams "old-school" in my head.

10. Nekora

@Bandreus

I'm not quite sure if I agree with you here. It's not quite that...mainstream games are bad. There's some really good ones that have a lot of soul. The problem comes in that there's a lot of people who are basically trying to make a buck by making bad games, or by pandering to the least common denominator. The market is bigger than it used to be, so there is room for this.

In the 'golden age of gaming' that you seem to be mourning, the market just wasn't big enough to support a lot of soulless profit-taking that characterizes the games with 'no soul', as you're speaking of. It was there, still, but with video games becoming a bigger and bigger part of the media landscape, many of the same things that plague movies and TV are starting to plague this medium as well.

Anyway, I don't know if the 'magic' is being taken out of games, or if the unfriendliness like manual stats were ever 'magic' in the first place. I mean, I always thought the magic of old school games was in the pure hand-eye coordination, fast decision-making difficulty of it, rather than in the requirement to know some kind of secret 'insider knowledge' to make you successful.

I rather prefer RPGs with slow paces to be tactically difficult, which is something you can reason out without looking at a strategy guide if you think about it enough. Rather than being based around 'knowing the proper tricks', which was a form of insider knowledge. Nethack is easily the worst offender of this kind of gameplay style I know. I love roguelikes, but hate Nethack style roguelikes.

11. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

Out of curiosity, someone define "soul" and/or "spark" that old games have possessed that the moderns do not.

12. elganame

elganame Diabloii.Net Member

When real love was involved in the creation of the videogame with the very end for fun and joy, well....it has a soul, you will feel something like when you read a book!

Shadow of the Colossus is a great example!

Most MMO dont have soul...but thats my opinion.

13. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop Diabloii.Net Member

Everquest had soul. World of Warcraft does not.

Daggerfall and to a lesser extent, Morrowind had soul. Oblivion does not.

Games are getting dumber for the console explosion generation every year. Dumber and blander. This is NOT an opinion, this is reality.

The rest of it (the soul part) is an opinion. I'm older than most here I'm guessing, so I remember a lot of older games. I go back and play them again from time to time. Some stand up, some don't, but by and large, games used to be better in terms of enjoyment garnered than most of the new games I play now. Games are released coated in Neon these days, with all the depth of a thimble (but a very well polished thimble).

Are there exceptions? Hmmm.. actually, are there? I can't think of a single game released since 2004 that I've said "wow, that came out of nowhere and I enjoyed the holy hell out of that". Instead we are drowning in the banality that is Mass Effect and the like.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  14. Nekora

Uh...what? As a person who played both of these games avidly for a time, I can safely say that it's exactly the other way around. Everquest is really bland and has no soul. WoW has a LOT of soul comparatively.

Also, THIS:

Is an opinion. Maybe if you just look at certain genres or games that absolutely top the charts, you might have a point. Oh noes, frat boys like Halo and Call of Duty.

But there's a lot of space in the video gaming industry nowadays, and it's good for everyone, because a bigger market means more investment, more niches, and more money in the entire thing.

Indie games are becoming more and more common, and many of them are becoming good.

The bigger the market, the more people are willing to take a chance on a weird or difficult game.

On the flipside, there will also be people who put out mass media crap and make a lot of money. It's the same in the movie or TV industry.

The moral of the story is that you have to know what to get.

There's all sorts of games I have loved since 2004. Maybe you need to get a bit less jaded. It sounds like you're determined to hate everything new because they're trying to appeal to more than the generation of people who grew up with an NES or SNES.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and MH 3, Odin Sphere, Uncharted (And its sequel), BlazBlue, the Mario Galaxy games, No More Heroes, Metroid Prime 3 (And in fact all the Metroid Prime games). Civ 5, to name one REALLY reacent. Kingdom Hearts series (Yes, I love this series; the games are a bit easy, but I love the story and the lore), Team Fortress 2. Darksiders. Titan Quest (A Diablo clone, no less). Fallout 3 (WHich I look at as The Elder Scrolls without the suck. No terrible legacy stat/skill system that you have to game in order to make a decent character holding it back.) League of Legends (Free game!) Super Smash Bros. Brawl. God of War series (Quite fun playing it on high difficulty; it's mindless violence, but it's fun). Spelunky. Dead Space.

All of these are games that I think came out since 2004 that I have really loved. And that's just off the top of my head. I just started typing and stopped when I ran out of things off the top of my head. I'm sure there's lots I'm forgetting. You REALLY didn't like any one of these games? I think every one of these games has soul, or at least a cohesive vision that makes it a good experience, and fun to play.

Also...bashing Mass Effect? If you don't like the game, whatever (I'm...OK with it. It's easy but I enjoyed playing it), but the setting itself is possibly the best original sci-fi setting I've seen come out of movies, TV, or games in a long, long time. I happen to admire the detail going into the setting. I never really played Bioware games for the gameplay anyway; it's all for the setting and story.

15. permaximum

permaximum Banned

Play Prince of Persia (1989) for 1 hour and you will see the soul.

16. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

Great choice perm:D

@konfeta the soul or spark was a feeling you got when playing the game. Just like when you read a very good book. I for one don't think you can explain it better then that. With those older games i cared if i died because it meant something, but i didnt stop playing i kept trying until i beat the game. Cant say i have had that feeling for years.

The only game lately that i seen that might have that soul is demon souls for ps3. but until i buy it and try i dont know if it really has that soul im looking after.

Wow to me feels like a god damn Disneyland and it disgust me to no end. That is my opinion of that game and in my mind it will never come even near the soul that OU had.

17. Nodders

Nodders Diabloii.Net Member

You will never get Nekora to agree to that , he is a WoW fanboy through and through , almost every thread he is in WoW gets mentioned .

" stands up " I was a WoW junkie , from day of release well actually , from the US beta , I was one of the first players to sign in at 9.15 am on day of release , Europe server . Would have been a bit earlier but m8 went to wrong realm :) so you can't tell me anything I don't already know about WoW . I know the eternal grind , yes GRIND for that one item , running the same 25 men raids week in week out for months on end ,the grind in D2 is nothing absolutely nothing compared to that . Anyway I'm over it now and have'nt looked back :)

No WoW does not have soul , it may have started out that way but now has been dumbed down so much I know a 5 year old who plays it damn well . And don't get me started on the community , the worst in any MMO I have ever played .

But hey , is'nt this about D2/D3 ?

Nekora ?.............

18. Bandreus

Of course I'm generalizing. Saying "mainstream games have lost the spark", I was referring to the general trend of course.

Having a larger gaming industry is a good thing. So much more top-notch games to play and a flourish Indie games community, if anything else.

I'm just implying the alchemy which coincidently made for so much games of the past to be that unexplainably "special" (despite outdated graphics and other quirks which would easily doom any modern videogame) is mostly gone.

Well, that would be really hard to put in words. I'm not entirely sure it is possible at all, not to say it is a higly subjective matter.

Some modern or relatively new games, in my opinion, have got that spark too. Again, Shadow of the Colossus. I won't write an essay about why that game is so special, but anyone who played and liked the game knows why I continue bringing it out.
    It is not only that the developers managed to create a wanderful and immersive game experience, its beauty does not lie solely in a fun and well designed gameplay, nor because the story is at the same time compelling and out-of-the-ordinary. You could say it is only by accident (and personal tastes) the game turned out to be that great, but to me there's definitelly much more to it.

Since I don't want this to be a pointless or philosophical thread, I'll bring in a more consistent topic: D3 skill system.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not implying anything about D3's skill system being good or bad or unfun or anything. Whatever I say I still think it will be a great and fun game. Also, I'm just making assumptions and giving out personal opinions about a game which isn't out yet nor I ever played in any of its forms, so...

In D3 every character class will have an active skill pool in the 25s. That is quite a good amount of skills! And looking at vids they look cool and fun to use too (cant wait to pull off a hundred fists into exploding palm combo). Put skill runes on top of that and, as others pointed out, you get an impressive number of different skills.

BUT, you can only use 6 or 7 active skills at any given time. Moreover, the devs are making so that active and passive skills go on two different ways so, say, you've been fundamentaly being stripped away of deciding if you want to put that precious skill point into a passive skill or active one.

This is, of course, to make it so that players can't possibly go wrong, messing up their build and, in the end, having a not-so good/fun experience.

Am I implying D2 system was undoubtly better? Hell no! But yet, with all of its quirks, it made it so that you could be able to come up with very different and totally unexpected builds.

To me a system like D3's resembles a lot one of those modern space-shooter games in which, at the start of each level, you can choose what weapons/shields/smart bomb to equip, then go get some action. Of course you can get powerups along the way (runes), and change your weapons again when you kill the boss and next level comes (respec).

Again, not implying this kind of system is not good or fun (chances are it will indeed be both good and fun), but yet I more than anything else see the intention by the developers to give the player an illusion of having near-infinite options (countless possible skill combinations), while in truth segregating him in a stricter framework where nothing can possibly go wrong.

That probably makes for a better/more fun game, but definitelly takes out a bit of magic, imo.

19. Glass

Glass Diabloii.Net Member

It's what people in 10 years time will say WoW, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 have, and that Starcraft 4, Diablo 6 and the new MMO don't.

20. Bandreus

That is entirely possible. Unless I highly doubt we will be so lucky to manage to get 3 more Diablo games in 10 years xD